PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
need to be pointed in the right direction...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Nov 2011, 06:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default need to be pointed in the right direction...

Hello all... I just registered and have a couple of questions for the folks here.

I gotta admit, I don't own a PT, I registered to gain some insight to help my brother out with his, an '03 Turbo with a 5 speed transmission.

We've put on a pre-turbo "CAI", essentially a tube and cone filter, and a full Magnaflow, catback system.

He'd like to get a bit more "Uumph" out of his ride, but being that we live in California, there's only so much we can do without running afoul of emissions standards.

I have a Magnum, with the same mods, CAI and exhaust, and have seen some significant improvements using a tuner (not a chip). However, my experience with turbos is just enough to get me into trouble. The last thing I wanna do is grenade his motor... or build power to a level, his trans/clutch assembly will suffer (clutch/pressure plate are brand new, OEM, as of last week).

Anyway, thought I ask the folks here, who have the knowledge and experience, what would be a good "next step"?

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas you may share with me..
Old 26 Nov 2011, 10:17 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: need to be pointed in the right direction...

You can do a few easy things, like get a Stage 1 PCM and 577cc injectors ( 20HP), swap the intake manifold for the newer 06+ model ( 8HP ), change back to your OEM airbox, mod it and drop in a K&N filter ( you are loosing HP with that "CAI" intake, because you are sucking hot air form the engine), get solid motor mounts or inserts, get a 52mm throttle body from an automatic PT Cruiser (you currently have a 47mm), get solid intercooler pipes...those are easy mods to get more HP without getting into "tunning" the engine if you don't have a wideband.
Old 26 Nov 2011, 11:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
You can do a few easy things, like get a Stage 1 PCM and 577cc injectors ( 20HP), swap the intake manifold for the newer 06+ model ( 8HP ), change back to your OEM airbox, mod it and drop in a K&N filter ( you are loosing HP with that "CAI" intake, because you are sucking hot air form the engine), get solid motor mounts or inserts, get a 52mm throttle body from an automatic PT Cruiser (you currently have a 47mm), get solid intercooler pipes...those are easy mods to get more HP without getting into "tunning" the engine if you don't have a wideband.
Thanks, I'll pass on this information...

When I started checking out his car, the first thing that jumped out at me was the "CAI"! As you said, it's suckin' hot engine room air, so any improvement in "breathing", is offset by the increased intake temperatures... kinda defeats the all the intercooler does.

As for the TB, can you tell me if installing the larger version will cause any codes to be thrown? Is it pretty much a "twist some bolts and swap it out" affair?

I'm no stranger to engines, but I have "zero to none" experience with these particular set-ups... so my first and foremost thought is, to do no harm (lol).

My brother was thinking that raising the rev limiter would be beneficial... "Maybe, maybe not..." I told him. If the cam profiles and such, along with the intake isn't optimized for higher revs, tossin' in a "tuner" won't be the best bang for the buck and he would see the full benefit of a tuned ECU.

Thanks for your ideas. Sounds like the mods you suggested are the type he can do as his mod budget allows.
Old 26 Nov 2011, 11:20 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Yes the TB is a pretty simple and cheap swap...just go to any junk yard or Ebay ( I paid like $35 for mine) and get any 03 and up TB from an automatic PT...Just unbolt the original and swap it...You may have to re use you sensors because they changed almost every year...
With the Stage 1 PCM it will raise the Rev to I believe 6200rpm and raise your boost to 13-15 lbs, but I never shift past 5700rpm because you don't get any more power after that....
You can get a tuner like the Diablo Predator but is recommended to have a wideband before you start tunning with it so you don't risk blowing your engine.

Last edited by XtrmDC2; 27 Nov 2011 at 09:54 am.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 01:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Will do.

You mentioned "wideband"... It's not a term I'm familiar with. I take it, that it has something to do with the vehicle's ECU?
Old 27 Nov 2011, 09:52 am
Dedicated Cruiser

The wideband is a meter to see the air and fuel radio. You'll need it if you going to be tunning your engine. just to make sure you are running "lean" or the engine will go boommm
Old 27 Nov 2011, 05:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
The wideband is a meter to see the air and fuel radio. You'll need it if you going to be tunning your engine. just to make sure you are running "lean" or the engine will go boommm
Thanks, I'll be sure to get one before messing with anything beyond the CAI.

It's a good thing I asked, I've always tended to tune to the slightly "fat" side, rather than lean... I'm far more familiar with carburated vehicles. Running lean, in my experience, always seemed to increase cylinder head and valve temps a little more than I was comfortable with.

I tend to a pest, asking lots and lots of questions before diving into unknown waters, so to speak. I'd rather do that, than have various internal engine components, scattered from curb to curb.

Again, thanks for the information.