Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
a few things i dont like seeing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Dec 2011, 07:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default a few things i dont like seeing

new 03 gt auto owner. has about 60k on it. picked it up for 2800 from a friend who really hasnt driven it in about 2 years. It runs well but needed some care right off the start. I replaced the plugs, wires, valve cover and plug well seals as soon as we got it. I also ordered new rotors and pads from adam at thatrotorshop.
My girlfriend said she heard a clunk yesterday so i checked the mounts. top was shot so i replaced it. I finally had some time this evening so i was able to get under the car and found a few other things i don't like seeing.

Lower torque strut obviously needs replaced as well as that rubber attached to the control arm. Im not sure about the oil leak near the turbo and the missing bolts as well as the leaks in the radiator and the brake line.im going to try and pull up the torque specs and make sure everything's tightened .

I attached some images and am wondering if anyone wouldn't mind chiming in with some input.

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-12-17 16.21.02.jpg (82.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-12-17 16.16.42.jpg (83.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-12-17 16.13.42.jpg (84.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-12-17 16.14.52.jpg (84.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-12-17 16.21.58.jpg (84.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-12-17 16.19.19.jpg (83.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 17 Dec 2011, 07:58 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: a few things i dont like seeing

The motor mounts and control arms are normal maintenance for any PT.
I would try to wash the engine first and then you can try to trace those leaks...Maybe the turbo leak is from the valve cover gasket and working it's way down..
Ohh and make sure you did not use platinum plugs on a turbo car and use premium gas only.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 02:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

The first thing you want to do since you already replaced the upper torque strut is replace the lower or you will destroy the upper in short order. the upper can't handle the torque on its own...and I mean it can tear it up in a matter of days. Also get some strut inserts. If you drive it hard you will be tearing them up pretty fast anyway.

The LCA's are a normal maintenance item as XtrmDC2 said. Order a set from Rock Auto. Trying to rebush the old ones is a PITA and you will thank me later. Then if you want some super LCA's you can work on putting some poly bushings in them at your leisure.

Oh, and service your trans. get an idea what is going on in there. The automatics are trouble prone...and NEVER BOOST IN 4TH.

As for the leaks, unless they are really pumping stuff out, just do like XtrmDC2 said.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 23 Dec 2011, 03:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

That looks like slight seepage, hardly a call for anything near urgency.

When you get the 'unintentional underbody rustproofing', then panic

Lost bolts are from techs (aka greasemonkeys) who slap it back together.
Factory is 100% automated torque, their stuff doesn't fall out

I'ts very good you're keeping an eye on it, though! Bravo!!!