Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Error Code P0335

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2012, 10:06 am
Young Cruiser

Default Error Code P0335

My Haynes book and the code list here both state this code is crankshaft position sensor. The car will run, but there is an obvious miss. Is this a user serviceable item, and if so are there any issues to watch out for when changing this out? Also, if the sensor is not bad, what else could cause this error code? The engine is a 2004 2.4l turbo with less than 60,000 miles. The timing belt has not been done.
Thanks in advance!
Old 13 Jan 2012, 10:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Error Code P0335

Yes, you can do it yourself but it's not easy to get to. Behind the starter. It's called the CKP.

Old 13 Jan 2012, 10:54 am
Veteran Cruiser

Exactly as Crewzin says, plus the bore outboard of sensor's o-ring rusts, and it SUCKS to wiggle out- But it's nothing 'expertise' will help, you just have to twist and pry.

Get a Standard Motor Products sensor, NOT their "T" series. A speed shop or engine machining shop should be able to get it, or Rockauto.com.
Again, get the best, and Standard is the best.

You'll want to eyeball wiring, auto's do chafe in various places.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 11:40 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks guys. I found a couple of other threads on this topic now that I know what to search for. I know how to get to the starter, so it shouldn't be too bad. Gotta get this thing running. Once I do that, then I can do the lower control arms and struts. I'm doing things on this car I would never have attempted before. The help available here is awesome. Thanks for the effort you guys put in to share the information.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 11:47 am
Young Cruiser

Hey Crewzin, what book is that picture from? Also, I went to your website and see you are in Citrus County. I'm from the east coast, but I have been to the area. I used to go to the Rainbow River in Dunellon, and have played golf at Citrus Springs a couple of times. Pretty area, very different from the east coast.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 02:05 pm
Young Cruiser

I found this one locally for only a few dollars more than from Rock Auto:
Buy BWD/Intermotor Crankshaft Sensor CSS944 at Advance Auto Parts

From what I can tell, Intermotor and Standard are either the same company or interchangeable, according to the Rock Auto site.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 03:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Firemedic,

The picture is just from searching around. The pictures in the Haynes and Chilton manuals (even the updated versions) still have a picture of the Crankshaft sensor above the oil filter where the 01-03 cruiser have it. In late 03 Chrysler moved it to the other side of the engine to make it harder to get to. It is real easy to replace on the early models.

Yes, I'm in Lecanto between Crystal River and Inverness. Used to be the best kept secret of Florida with few people and a lot of manatees. Now we have about 140,000 residents and the crime that goes with it. Still not as bad as any of the big cities but not the quiet little place we moved to 12 years ago.

The sensor should be good the way your describing it. You don't want to have to change it twice so lets hope it's a good one.
Old 13 Jan 2012, 07:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Whatever you looked up doesn't look like anything that fit's a PT- Unless it's a diesel tach read.

Here's what it looks like, it's pretty cheap even as a Standard.

Old 13 Jan 2012, 08:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

From another angle, it looks like this:

Old 13 Jan 2012, 10:38 pm
Young Cruiser

The one I got definitely looks different than the one in the pictures here and the one in my book. The one I got came up on Rock Auto and Advanced Auto Parts as the correct one for a 2.4L turbo. The hardest part of any job seems to be just getting the right parts. I hate taking things apart then going to buy parts, but it seems like the only way to get it right. You would think that we should be able to have an accurate database at the parts stores by now, but it seems like it has been this way since before we had computers.