Old 16 Jun 2012, 10:42 am
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Plastic Manifold, Hard Pipes and Downpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHeine View Post
Hi Jimmy,
Overall Piping Cost: $459.76

Intake to Tubo: $101.73
Note: This a collection of pieces and is not a direct-fit. Requires some cutting and drilling.
(Welcome to Race-Mart - Quality isn't an accident)

CHRYSLER PT-CRUISER 2.4L TURBO UPPER INTERCOOLER PIPE: $178.99
Note: This is a direct fit.
(items in forwardautomotive store on eBay!)

CHRYSLER 03-07 PT CRUISER GT TURBO EXHAUST DOWNPIPE: $178.99
Note: Could be used as-is as a direct bolt-on but needs work for my plan.
(items in forwardautomotive store on eBay!)

Intake Manifold and Related Pieces: $125.53

I bought the manifold from Mopar Wholesale (I believe they are in Tampa, FL) and here is their web site:
Mopar Parts Online Wholesale Prices

You will have a hard time finding the parts you need without the part numbers so here they are (with prices as of January 15, 2012 [I believe they just went up]):

$58.82 4884514ab - qty 1 -Manifold
$34.04 4884520ab - qty 1 -Manifold
$00.52 6505557aa - qty 5 -Screw
$00.98 6505558aa - qty 5 -Screw
$00.46 6505812aa - qty 2 -Bolt
$04.83 4777964AB - qty 1 -Updated Dipstick tube

You need the two sets of five bolts to attach the lower manifold to the cylinder head and the upper manifold to the lower because they are quite different from the ones used on the aluminum manifold, The two bolts are coarse thread to attach the upper manifold to the brace on the back of the engine. You'll need to supply your own screw to attach the dipstick tube to the new manifold (the one that attaches to the aluminum manifold is mounted differently).
Thank you very much! Nice work!

Her White 2002 Limited: Konig 16" Rims, 5000k White HID Head Lights,

My Red 2003 GT: Konig 17" Rims, Mopar Blue Plate, Dejon HAI, 3000k Yellow HID Head Lights, Super Slammers on Tokico HP's

Projected Mods: Dejon Intercooler Pipes w/HKS BOV, Custom Suspension,

Old 23 Jun 2012, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Plastic Manifold, Hard Pipes and Downpipe

Quote:
I’ll let you know how it goes once my second tank of shielding gas arrives.
The 98% Argon/2% CO2 arrived yesterday, along with a new pipe clamp to help hold the exhaust tubing in position for tacking.

This is the very first weld from the new welder using the shielding gas and .024 stainless wire. Not beautiful but it is holding together.

Turned the pipe over and welded another small section of the joint. This time I ground and polished the area and as you can see, I missed a spot and the pipe isn't in perfect alignment. However, I think this is going to work -- it isn't structural and it isn't under a lot of pressure.

I have some more practicing to do because the weld penetration is not as good as it should be. It looks fine in one spot but not so good nearby.

Looks like I'm going to have the custom downpipe I wanted after all.
2004 Silver Touring Turbo, Auto, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Intercooler to Throttle Body Pipe, Borla Mopar dual exhaust, Eibach Springs, Sherwood dash kit. E&G Billet Aluminum Grill, APC Rolled Rear Pan. Next: Pillar pod with Auto Meter Boost and Wideband AFR gauges and custom downpipe

Last edited by BobHeine; 03 Jul 2012 at 09:40 pm.
Old 05 Jul 2012, 12:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Time flies – but I have made some progress. The new downpipe cut up with the catalytic converter and new reducer lined up.

If I just weld the new stuff in place, the downpipe may not be long enough to mate with the larger section of the Borla cat-back system. I decided to add the cut-out section of 3” pipe to the end of the downpipe, giving me a longer run of the larger pipe. The clamps are just for mockup.

The catalytic converter was a sloppy fit to the downpipe so I took the pieces to the local Meineke shop. They helped me out by expanding the downpipe so it is a tight fit into the catalytic converter. He tried to do the other end but it was impossible because of the curve in the pipe. Looks like I’ll have some extra work on that joint.

The First weld-up went well, with a decent bead all the way around the pipe. Some work with a flap wheel on the grinder and a few passes with the buffer and the top half of the downpipe is done.

I quit while I was ahead and started on the lower section a couple of days later. This weld was going to involve a butt weld so I beveled the edges of both pipes.

Managed to tack the reducer to the extension pipe successfully, using the strap clamp (it kept the two pieces lined up straight, even though the cut wasn’t perfectly square.

I was interrupted before I could finish the weld so I turned off the gas and shut off the welder. When I returned, I simply turned on the welder and started up again. The lack of shielding gas caused several problems but I thought I could recover. Once I got the gas going again, I managed to weld the stainless wire to the guide. Anyway, I was able to finish welding the pieces of pipe together and after grinding the welds flush I hoped I was ready to proceed. I know that the welds should be left alone but my welds are ugly enough that the flap wheel is a necessity. From a distance, the pipe looks OK.

I suspected the welds needed more work so I sealed up the small end of the pipe with my intercooler leak tester and added water. Sure enough, there were two tiny leaks in the ugliest parts of the welds, one of them where the shielding gas was shut off. The leaking spot is circled with a black marker to the right of center.

I’m going to grind out the two pinholes to be sure the walls of the hole are clean stainless before I make the final welds. Once both pipes are ready to go in, I plan to remove the old downpipe and catalytic converter and make the final alignment on the car. Then I can tack weld the pipes together and pull it back out for final welding.
2004 Silver Touring Turbo, Auto, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Intercooler to Throttle Body Pipe, Borla Mopar dual exhaust, Eibach Springs, Sherwood dash kit. E&G Billet Aluminum Grill, APC Rolled Rear Pan. Next: Pillar pod with Auto Meter Boost and Wideband AFR gauges and custom downpipe
Old 05 Jul 2012, 02:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Great thread. I love your attention to details.

I am like you projects seem to take 100 times longer to finish then they should?

BTW a good friend is in your part of the country, Orange Park. He does head porting and already knows what to do on the PT's engine. And I also am close to someones that custom engineers performance cams. So if you ever need an intro shoot me a pm.

ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
MODS http://ptcruisernetwork.com/forum/in...opic,16.0.html
Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
Remember this: All modifications build on each other SO the better you configure your mods to work with each other, the more powerful your car will be.

Last edited by NitroPT; 05 Jul 2012 at 02:05 am. Reason: just cause I had to keep up my rep of editing all the time lol
Old 05 Jul 2012, 09:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Great thread. I love your attention to details.

I am like you projects seem to take 100 times longer to finish then they should?

BTW a good friend is in your part of the country, Orange Park. He does head porting and already knows what to do on the PT's engine. And I also am close to someones that custom engineers performance cams. So if you ever need an intro shoot me a pm.
Thanks NitroPT,
When I was growing up they just called kids like me scatter-brained. When my kids were growing up it was called hyper-active. Now it's Attention Deficit Disorder or some other thing.

My projects take me a long time because I 1) change focus frequently, 2) stop work after my third screw-up [fourth screw-up almost always involves an emergency room visit] and 3) have to wait for most of my parts, supplies and tools to arrive via ground shipping. The PT is also the daily transportation so none of my 'fun' projects keep it off the road for more than a day.

Case in point -- I like the look of body color outside rear-view mirrors (like ROCKETMAN8060 and others have done). I could have removed them, prepped and painted them and then put them back on the car. That would have probably taken me more than a day so I bought a new pair of mirrors two months ago. As long as I am doing prep and paint on the mirrors, decided to buy the decorative (and insulated) manifold cover and paint it at the same time. Long as I'm painting those parts, the rear rolled pan has some damage on the bottom edge so it makes sense to remove it and do the prep and paint at the same time. The front bumper cover got damaged when my wife caught it on a parking curb and I was able to pop-rivet it back together but also bought a new cover -- which needs to be painted. Before I do that, I want to fabricate a steel curb-catcher to go behind the plastic chin spoiler lip so it doesn't get ripped off the next time my wife forgets and drives up to the parking curb.

All of this has to wait until I replace the valve-guide seals on the 87 Corvette, which means pulling off the valve covers. It also means removing the valve springs, which have 86K miles on them and should be replaced with stiffer springs. Long as the stock 1.5 rockers have to come off, may as well replace them with 1.6 roller rockers. But roller rockers may interfere with the low-profile valve covers so a pair of tall polished aluminum covers seems like a reasonable solution. Unfortunately there is an EGR pipe on the passenger side that probably won't fit over the tall covers so it's a good time to replace the stock exhaust manifolds with a set of stainless steel headers. Probably a good time to replace the catalytic converter since the oil seepage has been a problem for quite a while.

Good thing I'm retired and have lots of time to do these little upgrades....

I will keep your friends in mind but I doubt I can talk my wife into letting me take the daily driver apart when it's running great. She likes the Stage 1 upgrade and was OK with me replacing the manifold while I was doing the A/C repair (had a rental for those two weeks). She is going along with the things I'm doing to the Cruiser because my solution to it's performance issues is a Cadillac CTS-V. The used 2009 or newer ones I was looking at started at $40,000.
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by BobHeine; 05 Jul 2012 at 09:37 am. Reason: Adult Attention Deficit Dis -- SQUIRREL
Old 05 Jul 2012, 09:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You said:

"My projects take me a long time because I 1) change focus frequently, 2) stop work after my third screw-up [fourth screw-up almost always involves an emergency room visit] and 3) have to wait for most of my parts, supplies and tools to arrive via ground shipping".

SOOOO TRUE 4 me as well!

I have 3 pairs of mirror caps I painted different colors because I could not decide which color I liked best.

I won't even go into the engine and chassis mods on my Street Freak.
It has been down now for 2 years and counting because of long winded projects!
But its all fun!

ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
MODS http://ptcruisernetwork.com/forum/in...opic,16.0.html
Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
Remember this: All modifications build on each other SO the better you configure your mods to work with each other, the more powerful your car will be.
Old 06 Jul 2012, 08:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I won't even go into the engine and chassis mods on my Street Freak.
It has been down now for 2 years and counting because of long winded projects!
But its all fun!
I'll try to make you feel better. My third car is a 72 Corvette coupe (big block automatic) that I bought in 1978. In 1980 I blueprinted the engine and replaced the transmission I rebuilt with with a TCI TH400. In 1983 I started work on the body and interior. 29 years later I'm still working on that car. I'd be thrilled to have it back on the road 2 years from now.
Old 06 Jul 2012, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I'll try to make you feel better. My third car is a 72 Corvette coupe (big block automatic) that I bought in 1978. In 1980 I blueprinted the engine and replaced the transmission I rebuilt with with a TCI TH400. In 1983 I started work on the body and interior. 29 years later I'm still working on that car. I'd be thrilled to have it back on the road 2 years from now.
I'm there! My 64 vette started out as a winter project in fall 79. Been a long winter.

Now I'm into 3 pt projects.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Jul 2012, 05:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I'm there! My 64 vette started out as a winter project in fall 79. Been a long winter.

Now I'm into 3 pt projects.
We have a winner Seriously, I know how time flies and money earmarked for the pet project disappears or gets eaten up by "higher priority" projects.
Old 06 Jul 2012, 06:15 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Nice work but wouldn't be a lot cheaper and easier to buy the downpipe from Neeswings or Trubendz for $250 - $300 ?

01-09 PT CRUISER EXHAUST DOWNPIPE W/ HF CAT - 3 INCH