Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacing plugs/wires on 2006 non-GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2012, 04:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replacing plugs/wires on 2006 non-GT

Ok, so complete car newbie here, so please don't use abbreviations or shorthand. And have patience with my seemingly dumb questions. What does N/A mean in the context of this forum anyway?

I recently got a 2006 Turbo (not GT) with 48K miles on it. I have no idea what's been done to it in terms of modifications. One of the first things I'm seeing on this forum is people saying to replace the spark plugs and wires because the factory ones are crap.

How do I know whether they've been replaced already? I looked at the wires and they say MOPAR on them. I haven't tried looking at the plugs yet; do the wires just pull off the top of them?

I was planning to head up to my dad's for a few days since I'm currently out of a job and have him help me, since he and my brother are car gurus, but I'd like to learn and do as much as possible before I go.

I've done hours of research on this forum and elsewhere, and am planning to get the NGK Copper Plugs (part 4306) (since it's not GT, should they still gap at .4?). I can't get a good answer on wires though. I want wires that will last, but perform decently. I'm not a lead-foot or racer, if that makes a difference. Mid- to low-priced is better for me.

Thanks for any help!
Old 20 Jan 2012, 05:00 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing plugs/wires on 2006 non-GT

Welcome to the forum!!!!

Let me give you a few pointers:
N/A means Natural Aspirated in other words "non turbo".
You can use any wires, anything is better than the OEM Mopars.
The plug gap is .040 for any PT cruiser.

BTW, where are you from?
Old 20 Jan 2012, 05:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Sure, or just Champion Copper-Plus.
I'd suggest Standard motor product plug wires, they meet factory specifications and aren't crazy-expensive.

It's possible, but unlikely, someone replace wires with factory original equipment. Most likely, they're original.

Ensure the plugs you get DON'T have washers on them!!!!
Countermen frequently hand out the wrong plug:

One on LEFT is WRONG, one on right is right.

You won't damage anything, it'll just run weird.

I'd source stuff from Rockauto.com. Huge selection, low prices.

By the way, NA= Non Turbo (Naturally Aspirated)
Old 20 Jan 2012, 05:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Ooops! Sorry for stepping on you extreme! I was still typing while you'd posted!
Old 20 Jan 2012, 06:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sita View Post
Ok, so complete car newbie here, so please don't use abbreviations or shorthand. And have patience with my seemingly dumb questions. What does N/A mean in the context of this forum anyway?

I recently got a 2006 Turbo (not GT) with 48K miles on it. I have no idea what's been done to it in terms of modifications. One of the first things I'm seeing on this forum is people saying to replace the spark plugs and wires because the factory ones are crap.

How do I know whether they've been replaced already? I looked at the wires and they say MOPAR on them. I haven't tried looking at the plugs yet; do the wires just pull off the top of them?

I was planning to head up to my dad's for a few days since I'm currently out of a job and have him help me, since he and my brother are car gurus, but I'd like to learn and do as much as possible before I go.

I've done hours of research on this forum and elsewhere, and am planning to get the NGK Copper Plugs (part 4306) (since it's not GT, should they still gap at .4?). I can't get a good answer on wires though. I want wires that will last, but perform decently. I'm not a lead-foot or racer, if that makes a difference. Mid- to low-priced is better for me.

Thanks for any help!
You can order a set of Granatelli wires hereIgnition You can read about the test they did with quite a few sets of wires and the Granatelli wires came in with the lowest Ohms of resistance of any they tested. MSD's are also good but about the same price as Granatellis. Any good wire will be better than the stockers which range from 2,000 ohms to I thinks 3,500 ohms.

There is a world of spark plugs out there but if you keep an eye on them the stock coppers are just as good as any. The gap will burn wider on them sooner though so if you want to just set em and forget em for a while you can step up to iridiums. Check out Spark plug, Spark plug wire, spark plug gap, spark plug cross reference and ignition wires at Sparkplugs.com

Congrats on the new car. Also check out PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it. A lot of us hang out there too. More performance oriented. Trust me, you will probably catch the bug.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 20 Jan 2012, 06:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Oh, and don't get caught up in buying an upgraded ignition coil. STock units are all high output these days so don't waste your money.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 20 Jan 2012, 08:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry about the delay in response, I didn't realize that this forum required me to "opt-in" to email notifications of responses!

Quote:
BTW, where are you from?
Currently in Evansville, IN, and hopefully staying in the area (keeping fingers crossed on the job search).

I'll look into the Standard wires; it seems like no matter what, I'm going to have to order the wires online. I read in several places that you want 8.5 mm or more, and none of the auto places around here carry anything but 7 mm. The Granatelli and MSD I see are a little more expensive; if I'm not racing or anything, is it worth the extra money?

I understand about the counter-people. I spoke with one for about 10 minutes about which plugs I wanted, and said several times that I did NOT want platinum. He said he found a NGK that would work, but he'd have to order it, and I could get it later that day. Gave me the part number for reference, and when I went home I happened to look it up. Guess what! Platinum!

I've also already received the "you don't know what you're talking about because you're a woman" thing from the guy at the repair shop. All I did was walk in and ask how much the labor would be to replace the plugs and wires and if they'd do it with ones I supplied. Instead of an answer I get "Why would you think you need to do that? What's going on with your car?" then he proceeded to tell me that the original equipment was just fine, that anything but Champion plugs would cause it to run funny, that you can't change the gap from what the plugs are set to, and that no, "we wouldn't install anything you brought us." Oh, and then there was something about having to replace a gasket because they'd have to take it off to get at the plugs....? Yeah.... Not ever going to go there if I have issues.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 08:55 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Oh, too far from me otherwise I would have given you a hand

Here are a few places you can get them:

SMP/STANDARD 7587 Spark Plug Wire Set | eBay

http://www.modernperformance.com/iri...er-p-1144.html

Granatelli Spark Plug Wires 03-05 Neon SRT - Ignition

And I believe a member (Chromenut) is running this with great results:

PT CRUISER TURBO SPARK WIRES NGK IRIDIUM PLUGS BLUE KIT | eBay
Old 20 Jan 2012, 09:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to PT_Panel

Ok now I have never heard this one before, why not use plugs with a collar? Do any iridium plugs have collars? If you want my cousin has lived in Evansville for years and although he doesn't have a PT he probably knows of a good mechanic.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 12:23 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
The Granatelli and MSD I see are a little more expensive; if I'm not racing or anything, is it worth the extra money?
No. You can and people do race on stock style wires, the factory specifys that resistance for a reason. Anyone can make a wire with no resistance for much less than a resistor wire

Quote:
"Why would you think you need to do that? What's going on with your car?" then he proceeded to tell me that the original equipment was just fine, that anything but Champion plugs would cause it to run funny, that you can't change the gap from what the plugs are set to, and that no, "we wouldn't install anything you brought us." Oh, and then there was something about having to replace a gasket because they'd have to take it off to get at the plugs....? Yeah.... Not ever going to go there if I have issues.
I'd agree with most of what this man said.
Champions are the only plugs the people on the Neon boards would recommend. They're cheap, their quality is excellent and they work.

It's good the mechanic is questioning why yuo want to replace something, most (dishonest) mechanics are trying to sell you more.

You need to remove the upper intake manifold to replace the plugs. You *should* replace those gaskets, most of us just don't.

I'm not quite understanding the deal with the plug gaps, there's a spec and I'm sure he'd set them to it.

Last, most garages won't install parts you've brought in. It's like bringing in your own eggs to a restaurant.