PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
DejonPowerhouse UIP

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2012, 10:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Default DejonPowerhouse UIP

Well I was looking over what they had, because I plan on installing one of their Upper Intercooler Pipes. I wanted the BOV Flanged for me because I have no knowledge of welding or anything . As I was looking over the website and all the options they have I read this:

A flat boss is welded on to accept the MAP sensor and includes boost pressure nipple. Gasket and hardware included with 1gDSM Flange (other BOV's come with hardware)

My question then comes to, what does this (the bolded point) mean? Does it come with the 1gDSM BOV and stuff to install or what? What exactly is a "Gasket" in this situation?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge, just trying to get a better understanding from the smart people on here, haha.

Thanks for looking this over!

Wife's White 2002 Limited: Konig 17" Rims, 5000k White HID Head Lights,

My Red 2003 GT: Sold.....
Old 06 Feb 2012, 11:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: DejonPowerhouse UIP

Anyone?

Old 20 Feb 2012, 07:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Question Re: DejonPowerhouse UIP

1 more time....

Anyone?

Old 20 Feb 2012, 07:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Does their website have a contact number?
Old 20 Feb 2012, 08:07 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Yes, you are going to need to call them up...
The problem is that most of us are using the blue plate...I was told that any BOV to be effective, needs to be closer to the turbo...and preferably on the "hot" side... and those BOVs ( like the one you want to get ) are on the cold side and away from the turbo.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 11:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: DejonPowerhouse UIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Yes, you are going to need to call them up...
The problem is that most of us are using the blue plate...I was told that any BOV to be effective, needs to be closer to the turbo...and preferably on the "hot" side... and those BOVs ( like the one you want to get ) are on the cold side and away from the turbo.
Alright, once time gets closer I'll call, any advice on where to look for a BOV on the "Hot" side?

Thanks for the replies you guys, I appreciate it!

Old 13 Apr 2012, 12:17 am
Senior Cruiser

I've covered this in detail plenty of times before (as well as others) but this thread was brought to my attention so I thought I should shed some light on it.

A BOV is not required. In fact, a BOV isn't recommended unless you are effectively pushing more boost than stock levels...somewhere around 15+psi. This is not a rule, merely a guideline.

Now, onto BOV's.

When you hit the gas, and your turbo spools, compressed air is forced (hence the term forced-induction) through your pipes/intercooler and to your throttle body. When you let off the gas, meaning when your throttle body blade is closed, this compressed air has nowhere to suddenly go. What happens? It surges/recirculates back.....yes back through those same pipes, all the way back to your turbo even which causes that 'flutter' some of you have heard.

A way to combat this is by venting this air out, long before it even reaches the turbo.

A blow-off valve helps to do this. Now, onto mounting options;

Some would argue to say that it's best to mount the BOV nearest the turbo. Would I do it? Sure!

Others mount it closest to the throttle body. Would I do that? Yep, did it in the PT.

Is there a real wrong way about this? Not really. There are plenty of high horse-powered cars that have their BOV's close to the throttle body and it's never been an issue. What matters is effectively venting that air out before it reaches back to your turbo.

Some people on here seem to be confused by 'cold pipes' and 'hot pipes'. If you understand how this air circulates before reaching your heads/intake manifold, you'll know what the cold and hot pipes are.

It goes; intake->turbo->hot pipe->intercooler->cold pipe->throttle body->intake manifold.

Now that that's been broken down in laments terms, you can see why most people choose to mount their BOV on their cold pipe; convenience. There's not much room to work under the PT and mount a BOV, but it can and has been done before. Some of us simply chose to install it on our cold pipe because it was easier/quicker to do.

A small reminder; make sure to get a flange that of the same type of metal as the pipe you're going to weld it on IE aluminum flange for aluminum pipe or steel flange for steel pipe.
OurPTGT likes this.
Old 13 Apr 2012, 01:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Smile Re: DejonPowerhouse UIP

Alright thank you for the clarification, Kawizx9r! I appreciate it!

Old 18 Apr 2012, 01:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2011 View Post
Gasket and hardware included with 1gDSM Flange (other BOV's come with hardware)

My question then comes to, what does this (the bolded point) mean? Does it come with the 1gDSM BOV and stuff to install or what? What exactly is a "Gasket" in this situation?
How I understand the website is, If you happen to buy the "UIP-PTA" with the 1gDSM flange, it comes with everything required to mount up that BOV (Except for the BOV itself). Whereas if you want either the Greddy or HKS BOV's - you have to buy the flange separate as an extra line item. In either case, the BOV itself is extra.

Keep in mind I have not called to verify that, but that's how I read the website. It is worded a bit odd, but that's how I am understanding it. I talked to the owner of DeJon a few years back, but never ended up buying anything (Modding the PT Cruiser wasn't a priority at the time). Good guy for sure, and very helpful. I will likely be buying IC pipes and maybe the cool (hot?) air intake eventually.

-Matt

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre
Old 18 Apr 2012, 09:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Kawi is a friggin genius!