Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Yet another DSP question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2012, 09:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Question Yet another DSP question...

I know these DSP questions get a little annoying after a while, but yeah... Here it goes...

Okay, I've been researching on the DSP and I see "knocking" come up a lot. It has begun to change my mind in fear of something going wrong. I am debating between the Stage 1 and the DSP. Can you clear up some confusion?

I have searched PTCrew and I have checked the SRTForum and now I'm just confused. All I know is that it comes preset with a 93 octane performance tune which is ideal and that's about it. Oh and I know the price haha, please help.

Also my current mods are: Mopar Diverter Plate & a Dejon PowerHouse CAI. Will I have to custom tune for these or should the DSP catch it?

Will I need to upgrade to Stage 1 injectors?

Again, please be patient with me, just need some clarification.

I am sorry for being a nuisance (if I am being one) Thank you guys so much for the help!

Wife's White 2002 Limited: Konig 17" Rims, 5000k White HID Head Lights,

My Red 2003 GT: Sold.....

Last edited by Jimmy2011; 08 Feb 2012 at 09:48 pm.
Old 08 Feb 2012, 11:20 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Yet another DSP question...

I don't think you'll have a problem with your current mods.
Also, you can run the DSP with your 527 cc injectors, but if you do put the Stage 1 injectors ( 577cc ) you will need a re-scale.
But, everybody will recommend you to get a wideband and a gauge to monitor knock before you start playing with a DSP.
Old 08 Feb 2012, 11:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Question Re: Yet another DSP question...

Advice on where to find a good wideband?

Old 08 Feb 2012, 11:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

This is really good one:

AEM UEGO Wideband O2 Gauge 30-4100 for $199.80 Shipped, Air/Fuel Wideband Gauge
Old 09 Feb 2012, 01:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Do you happen to know what people are talking about when they refer to "Knocking"?

Also, upgrade plans are so:
Intercooler pipes from DEJON | Powerhouse

Will these require special tune on DSP?

Old 09 Feb 2012, 02:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It's not "knocking" they are discussing, it's knock retard (and no joking here). The knock you get when doing a performance tune tells you how close you are coming to grenading your engine. Knock retard, using the DSP, helps you reduce and remove ALL knock. It's one of the best tuning tools I've ever used, and I've used a lot. I actually have three of them now, the other two I spent around $1200 on, what a friggin waste of $$$!

If you look at your log, after you do a pull, you'll see stuff like your AFR, fuel flow, rpm's, etc., and then of course knock retard. If you say ran your engine with a tank of race fuel, around 106 octane, and you ran the 1/4 mile, and had two steps of knock, you'd grenade that engine before hitting third gear. There would be pieces of it laying on the track. So, knock retard is a large part of the settings on the DSP. You can learn more by visiting the DiabloSport Predator forums. Tons of great info there.

Also, if you purchase your DSP new from DiabloSport or RageTek, you will get one custom tune free. You really need to explain what mods you have and/or are going to make, then they will program a tune specific to your vehicle. Mine was a great tune, even better when I went to Florida and visited DS and they put my PT on their dyno and did a full custom tune. I bought mine from RageTek and then spent a day on the dyno there, and raced on PBI's track afterwards. What a hoot!
Old 09 Feb 2012, 02:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh, meant to mention, when I say 'log', what I'm talking about is you don't have to be on a racetrack to do some logs. Personally, I go to a local tiny airfield and do a few pulls with my DSP plugged into my OMBii port, and connected to my laptop. This way you can see real time performance from your engine. I run down the runway a few times logging each run. Then I do a "local" log, which just means I run the regular city streets, stop and go, etc., to get about a 5 minute log. Then I do a two mile run down the highway while logging.

These three logs give me an opportunity to see the engine functions in close to real time. You go back and review your logs then you can adjust AFR, timing, output voltage of your alternator, knock retard, all kinds of things. Before you make any adjustments, you should post on DS's forums to verify what each of the settings should be at or around, that way you'll know better how to tune your engine.

Me, I have the 93 octane tune that came with it, plus the custom 93 tune they sent me, a race tune based on 101 octane minimum fuel (not a city driving tune by any means!), then I have what I call a highway tune. It's terrible on city streets, but on the highway it gives me an average 28.5 mpg!!! It's great for the highway. Usually when I go on long trips I take my DSP with me, drop out my custom 93 tune, then input my highway tune. When I get to my destination I reverse that, getting my 93 tune back in.

To me, the DSP is one of the best tuning tools I've ever used. Just my opinion. Only downside I know about is if you're running an auto-tranny, the DSP does NOT adjust ship points and speed ratios, so you have to balance whether you want to go Stage 1 with a PCM, or via DSP. The Stage 1 PCM makes all kinds of tranny adjustments that the DSP doesn't. However, if it's a manual tranny, hell forget the PCM and go with the DSP!!!
Old 09 Feb 2012, 12:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

So just to clear things up.

1. The DSP cures "Knock Retard" and "Knock Retard" is basically telling you that you're about to ruin the car.

2. If I do not mess with the DSP and just install the 93 octane and a wideband A/FR will I have a problem with knocking?

I was planing on upgrading the Intercooler pipes adding an External BOV and upgrading motor mounts, spark plugs and wires and booger bushing and I would like to do these things with a DSP, without having tamper with the DSP.

Sorry for all the questions, I have researched just not sure on what A LOT of it means haha

BTW, my car knowledge = little to none.

Last edited by Jimmy2011; 09 Feb 2012 at 12:38 pm.
Old 09 Feb 2012, 02:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The canned tune and knock really vary from car to car as no 2 ever react exactly the same. I haven't logged my car yet with the dsp (1. Not sure what I'm looking for with logging, 2. Can't use Mac laptop and my old windows one has no charger) but have noticed knock on 1 or 2 occasions, but not always.

I have a 2003 autostick with stage 1, diablosport, ttab with airbox mod and k&n filter, 3" o2 housing, 3"downpipe with cutout and no cat going into stock exhaust. I got the knock when I had only stage 1 and dsp. Haven't noticed anymore afterward.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*