Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I'm Confused...........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Feb 2012, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default I'm Confused...........

So I spent the weekend installing all of the turbo piping for my Conquest, and with the help of a few friends, it didnt take to long. But it did get me wondering about something......how does a cold air intake on a turbo PT decrease performance....Now I talked to a few of my friends and all of them laughed.

Now before I go any further with the story, a little background on my friends and there experence with boost.....
2 Supercharged Mustangs
2 Big Turbo SRT-4
Twin Turbo Dodge Stealth R/T
240SX with an SR20DET swap
R-32 GTR Skyline

Now back to the story.......so from my understanding of turbo systems, air being pulled into the engine first gets compressed by the turbo.....now when air gets compressed it heats up, so it needs to be cooled before enter the engine, this is where the intercooler comes in...so now that the air is cooled down it the enters the engine.

So if the air is being cooled off before entering the engine the it shouldnt matter too much if the air filter pulls in a bit of hot air......hell there are guys who run the filter attached to the turbo, with no bad results.

If Im wrong about something, please let me know.
Old 12 Feb 2012, 07:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I'm Confused...........

Your confused about where to post your question too. I moved you to the Turbo Performance part of the forum.
Old 12 Feb 2012, 08:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Denser air contains more oxygen (and everything else) and is less susceptible
to detonation. Of course it matters- it'll be just that much hotter-
Old 12 Feb 2012, 09:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok....but even if the air is warmer....its still a less restrictive intake....its allowing more air into the engine.....more air means more power.
Old 12 Feb 2012, 10:02 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You'll get plenty of cold air if you modify your OEM box and put a TTAB pipe, ...and will be a lot colder than a "CAI" or should a call it a "HAI"?
Old 12 Feb 2012, 10:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

To me that set up sounds like its more about making the stock intake system more responsive and less restrictive.....your still limited by the amount of air that can flow through the stock air box and filter.
Old 12 Feb 2012, 10:55 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

No is not. There are people that did dyno tests on the PT GT and showed the most gain with a modified air box, K&N drop-in filter and TTAB pipe, because is the only real CAI. And some of these guys are making 300whp or more.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 05:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

The intercooler does not return the air temp to the same temp as the intake air. Think in terms of a glass of water. If you apply heat to a glass of hot water it will rise to a higher temp than applying the same amount of heat to a glass of cold water. Conversely if you put ice cubes in a glass of hot water it won't get down to the same temp as putting ice cubes in a glass of cold water. You want to start with the lowest temp you can.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 13 Feb 2012, 06:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Some great answers here. For every 10* of added heat you lose one hp. Added heat will diminish your torque also. Big turbo guys have no choice but to go aftermarket as the stock intake will no longer fit. It will hurt the stock turbo more than a big turbo as the big turbo is pushing way more power. I'd go modified stock intake with the stock turbo.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 06:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Not at all a guy that should be giving turbo advice, do know guys use a huge injector and spray ethanol / water mix.
It does a really good job cooling the charge, and the added fuel allows more boost