Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Composit intake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2012, 08:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Composit intake

Well I decided to keep my composit intake as I heard nothing but good things about it,and since my car was throwing a cilinder 1 misfire we narrowed it downtown faulty gasket.
That being said and new manifold installed
Holy can I feel the difference Im loving it
Old 26 Mar 2012, 09:23 pm
Banned

Default Re: Composit intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DODGETHIS View Post
Well I decided to keep my composit intake as I heard nothing but good things about it,and since my car was throwing a cilinder 1 misfire we narrowed it downtown faulty gasket.
That being said and new manifold installed
Holy can I feel the difference Im loving it
Everyone that has made this switch says the same thing. Inner part of the mani is smoother than the metal intake and the air flow to the cylinders are within 1 percent of each other. Much better than the metal balance. Number one in particular was off with the metal intake. The molded in airfoil in the composite intake took care of that. Plus its not the heatsink that the metal one was. Using the Hondata isolation gasket will help enormously with that, but it still runs hotter than the composite one.

Glad you like it

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 29 Mar 2012 at 12:13 pm.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 01:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Pipeous

this is going to be swapped on mine when I do the belt and such. can't wait.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 05:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sorry for sounding like a knewb what is a hondata
Old 27 Mar 2012, 06:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Composit intake

Hi, where is the composit intake located, and what gasket did U find bad? I am about at my wits end with my car. I have a 2004 pt cruiser gt turbo. I have changed the crank sensor, cam sensor, throttle position sensor, air filter, spark plugs, wires, and starter. The car will drive fine for about a day once something has been change, but then goes right back to cutting off for no apparent reason. Usually after a short wait, it will start back. However, the case will continue to cut off after that every few minutes or so. If anyone can help me, pleasesss!

Last edited by Mistieblu; 27 Mar 2012 at 06:18 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old 27 Mar 2012, 08:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

That sounds more like a fuel pump issue
Old 28 Mar 2012, 11:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistieblu View Post
Hi, where is the composit intake located, and what gasket did U find bad? I am about at my wits end with my car. I have a 2004 pt cruiser gt turbo. I have changed the crank sensor, cam sensor, throttle position sensor, air filter, spark plugs, wires, and starter. The car will drive fine for about a day once something has been change, but then goes right back to cutting off for no apparent reason. Usually after a short wait, it will start back. However, the case will continue to cut off after that every few minutes or so. If anyone can help me, pleasesss!
Your issue will not get much response posting it in an existing thread. Please start a new thread with a title that will get you some help. Also post the request over at http://www.ptrcrew.com for additional assistance. Both of these sites have a lot of helpful people but they have to see your post.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 28 Mar 2012, 06:36 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DODGETHIS View Post
Sorry for sounding like a knewb what is a hondata
Hondata is a company that markets, among other performance products, A special temperature resistant insulating gasket that goes between the aluminum intake and the head. It drastically the reduces the amount of heat transferred from the iron block to the metal intake. Obviously the SRT-4's would be the target market for these gaskets because all their intakes are metal, but the PT turbos with metal intakes would benefit from it also. I'm told by many owners, that most of the SRT's in my area use the gasket and swear by it. It gets REALLY hot here in Florida! Our turboed motors use an aluminum intercooler to cool the air compressed by the turbo. The intake manifold is also made of aluminum, because it is heated by the head from combustion, the intake heats the air back up by as much as 50 degrees.

Hondata research has shown as much as 5 percent increased horsepower. For every 5 degrees rise in intake temperature, air density drops 1 percent. The hotter the air, the less fuel the PCM injects to compensate for reduced oxygen.

Around town, testing has shown an average drop of around 15 degrees F which will, result in around a 3 percent power loss. Under certain performance driving conditions a 45 to 50 degree drop has been measured.

When you descend a hill with the throttle closed or drive around town on a light throttle the temperature climbs quickly. It takes around 15 to 20 seconds for the temperature to drop again when you open the throttle back up (increasing the cooling air flow through the intake). As you pull up to the line for a 1/4 mile run, you are starting your run with a HOT intake. You will literally be passing through the traps at the end of your run before the air passing through the intake has cooled it back down. The hondata gasket will allow you to START your run with a cooler intake.

I originally was going to switch my N/A over to the metal turbo intake, so I bought one of the Hondata gaskets (its still on my shelf), but that was around the time that the composite intake came out so I used it instead. For someone that is "only" concerned with cost to get a cooler air charge the Hondata would be the way to go. They're around forty bucks. If money isn't an objeect, it would make more sense to go with the composite intake for reasons we all have discussed ad nauseam. In fact one of my latest posts was concerned with the advantages of the composite intake (temps, 1 percent variation, etc.). Like I said, ALL of the SRT-4's would benefit from this gasket.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 29 Mar 2012 at 12:15 pm.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 06:49 am
Young Cruiser

Could you give me a link on where to find this gasket. My google searches are only showing applications for Hondas.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 11:27 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraves View Post
Could you give me a link on where to find this gasket. My google searches are only showing applications for Hondas.

I got mine from

Modern Performance

Choose the pt cruiser section and then enter hondata in the search function after you enter site. They show it as the SRT4 gasket, but as I said, it fits our 2.4 also. Their price is $39.95 plus shipping. If you really want one, I've still got mine setting on the shelf. $25.00 includes shipping?

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 29 Mar 2012 at 11:31 am.