Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
boost? and MBC hook up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2012, 03:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default boost? and MBC hook up

2008 Turbolite. I just recently bought this car and i love it. I use it for DD because my (hemi) is killing me at 4.20 a gal. I have been around the block a few times with BB motors, supercharged cars etc However this is my 1st turbo car. I picked up a granger MBC from a buddy. The problem i think im having is boost spikes. if i T into the brake booster/ manifold vacume it will pull and hold 8psi nicely no spikes thats from a idle to WOT which is were i want it. however im getting low rpm boost spikes small throttle and 2500 rpms it will spike 5 to 8 psi just driving normal. makes zero since to me...thanks in advance for any input on this
Old 31 Mar 2012, 10:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: boost? and MBC hook up

Install a quality boost/vacuum gauge, uninstall the manual boost controller, and let us know if you still see boost spikes.

Boost/vac gauge will be a good monitoring tool for ya as well, no reason NOT to have one installed.
Old 01 Apr 2012, 06:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. I do have a vac/boost gauge which is how i was able to monitor the spikes. time to go shopping!! thanks again
Old 01 Apr 2012, 06:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted08 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I do have a vac/boost gauge which is how i was able to monitor the spikes. time to go shopping!! thanks again
I had lots of success with Autometer boost/vac gauges in the past and it's what I had in the PT (liquid-filled version).

Your vacuum at idle should be about 18-21
Old 06 Apr 2012, 09:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

just to clarify do i use the factory supplied vacume connection that was originally connected to the waste gate for cap it and use the main engine vacume off the manifold/brake booster to hook the boost controller to.
Old 07 Apr 2012, 12:01 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
just to clarify do i use the factory supplied vacume connection that was originally connected to the waste gate for cap it and use the main engine vacume off the manifold/brake booster to hook the boost controller to.
Again, don't use your boost controller at all. You won't get more than stock boost if you utilize an MBC.

Just connect your boost/vac gauge and make sure your vacuum is around 19-21 and your boost when going WOT is between 8-10.

Your stock, internal wastegate is setup with a 10lb spring which means the most you will see at all from that WGA is 20psi.

To reiterate; hook up boost/vac gauge only and make sure your vac/boost is what it should be. If not, check for leaks. Leaks are a huge reason as to why a forced induction car will have a loss of power.
Old 07 Apr 2012, 07:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes sir I understand. I did what you said and bought a good boost controller. I do have a gauge installed as your instruction. My vac is right at 20 just as you stated however I want to make sure I am going to use the right vacume source when installing the controller. Do I use the factory source off the silaniod or cap that and (T) off the brake booster. I wish it had a 10# spring this thing never holds over 6psi now it will swing to 8 maybe drops to 4 or 5 then slowly creeps to 6 in higher gears. I just never thought it would be this hard to adjust the boost as a little as i want....thx again
Old 07 Apr 2012, 09:23 am
Veteran Cruiser

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this could be because our PT is on PCM controlled boost. The boost controller may up the boost, but them the PCM tries to compensate for the increase of boost.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 07 Apr 2012, 11:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Yes sir I understand. I did what you said and bought a good boost controller. I do have a gauge installed as your instruction. My vac is right at 20 just as you stated however I want to make sure I am going to use the right vacume source when installing the controller. Do I use the factory source off the silaniod or cap that and (T) off the brake booster. I wish it had a 10# spring this thing never holds over 6psi now it will swing to 8 maybe drops to 4 or 5 then slowly creeps to 6 in higher gears. I just never thought it would be this hard to adjust the boost as a little as i want....thx again
Uhm, I never said buy a boost controller; I said buy a vacuum/boost gauge.

Yes, t-ing off the brake booster line is perfectly fine and is actually the preferred choice for alot of people.

If you're not getting much boost, the logical thing to do is to check for boost leaks. You should be at about 8psi@stock levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GTCruiser View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this could be because our PT is on PCM controlled boost. The boost controller may up the boost, but them the PCM tries to compensate for the increase of boost.
Yes it is PCM controlled.

To the OP, don't mess with your boost at all unless you've got a wideband installed.