PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 PT GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2012, 12:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 PT GT

Hey Guys,

I was driving down the highway, going about 80, when my car just shut down - all the electronics were on and good, but the engine just stopped. I cruised to the shoulder and popped the hood.

Needless to say the engine was really hot, the first thing I did was Google what happened, saw a similar situation occurring with a blown head gasket. I checked my oil for water and my radiator for oil. I couldn't see anything in the radiator (I didn't see a radiator specific dipstick, and there wan't any visible liquid with the cap off) the oil dip stick seemed like it had water on it, but from what I've been hearing it should have looked like a chocolate milkshake? Well I use high mileage synthetic so I doubt it would look like a milkshake anyway right?

So, the "oil" on the dipstick didn't just drip off but when I tapped it on the intake it spread out like water does on paper. I don't know if this is because of how hot it got (also about 89 degrees that day) but I have a feeling it was water.

When I tried to start it again the starter was real weak, but after I let it cool it seemed to try harder but still wouldn't kick over. I know I got a P0016 code, along with 3 others (which I can't remember right now as my car isn't at my apartment) but I looked them up and one had to do with cylinder 3 and cam/crack stuff. I didn't think head gaskets were supposed to blow with the 2.4L like they did with the 2.0L.

Anyway. I've only got 2k to spend on this and if I'm going to fix this I'll want to fix the A/C too, and a motor mount (upper right) which has been broken a while.

What do you guys think? Is it worth trying to fix? Does this sound like a blown head gasket? How much would I even try and sell a used/blown head gasket PT GT for? I'm really bummed because the exterior and interior are in pretty good shape and I like the car a lot.

Thanks for your assistance!

(P.S. I purchased this car back in August for 3800.00, replaced the tires (got a flat on the way back from Dallas) for 600.00 so all in all the car cost me 4400.00. Had 107k on it though. Was that a good deal?)

Last edited by RyanF; 05 Apr 2012 at 12:10 am.
Old 05 Apr 2012, 12:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 03 PT GT

If it was a blown head gasket, yes you'd have milky-like oil from your dipstick because coolant would mix with the oil. You would also get white smoke coming from your tail pipe.

I'll let others chime in; will check back on this later as well.
Old 05 Apr 2012, 12:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
If it was a blown head gasket, yes you'd have milky-like oil from your dipstick because coolant would mix with the oil. You would also get white smoke coming from your tail pipe.
I didn't notice any smoke from the tailpipe nor the engine. The one thing I do remember is a couple of times a few months ago the temp gauge in my car jumped up to hot and the alarm went off. Then it dropped down and went back to normal - from what I understand this means there is air passing the sensor right? So I'm concerned there wasn't any coolant in the engine at all. If there was no coolant would the head gasket still blow? I never checked my coolant seeing as my mechanic and another shop looked at the car after I purchased it, just assumed they checked all those things.
Old 05 Apr 2012, 02:47 am
Senior Cruiser

so your car temp gauge went to hot and chimbed several times and you didnt check the coolant level afterwards? bad move. if you drove it overheated you probably did a few bad things to it the head gasket being one and maybe a warped/cracked head? me thinks your $4400.00 car is getting ready to cost you a bit more.
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 05 Apr 2012, 09:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Has the timing belt ever been replaced? Sounds like a broken timing belt to me but I am no mechanic...but it could have broke due to age or water pump seizing up (early signs could have been the random overheating). Just guessing.
Old 05 Apr 2012, 10:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojon View Post
Has the timing belt ever been replaced? Sounds like a broken timing belt to me but I am no mechanic...but it could have broke due to age or water pump seizing up (early signs could have been the random overheating). Just guessing.
No, the timing belt nor water pump have ever been changed. I'm kinda hoping that's what it is.
Old 05 Apr 2012, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

that is what it sounds liek to me if you checked the oil and it did not look milkey white then it shouldt have any water in it
Old 05 Apr 2012, 11:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

I called my mechanic, who spent his formative years at a Dodge/Chrysler dealership, what it would cost or if I could bring in some OEM parts for a timing belt/water pump. He told me he doesn't work on the turbo models, especially where timing is concerned?

Anyway, does anyone know of a good shop in Austin that has experience with the GT's?
Old 05 Apr 2012, 12:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanF View Post
I called my mechanic, who spent his formative years at a Dodge/Chrysler dealership, what it would cost or if I could bring in some OEM parts for a timing belt/water pump. He told me he doesn't work on the turbo models, especially where timing is concerned?

Anyway, does anyone know of a good shop in Austin that has experience with the GT's?
He, your mechanic is doing you a faver. No big difference in a timing belt change on a Turbo. Find you a real mechanic and get plenty of references!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Apr 2012, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
He, your mechanic is doing you a faver. No big difference in a timing belt change on a Turbo. Find you a real mechanic and get plenty of references!
Thanks man, unfortunately I don't really know anyone in Austin. So all I have to go off of is Yelp and CitySearch on the net.

I would however, like to buy my own parts. Does the below cover what I would need to give to a mechanic for the timing belt job? I have money, is there anything else I should look at doing while he/she (she, really?) is under there?

https://order.store.yahoo.net/yhst-2...onId=ysco.cart