Advertisements
NGK blue wires

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wwpptc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2012, 09:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default NGK blue wires

The previous owner of my '03 GT installed these. Are they any good?
Old 24 Apr 2012, 11:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: NGK blue wires

You'll see that anything is better than the stock crap. Think I posted that in one of your threads....
Old 25 Apr 2012, 12:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
You'll see that anything is better than the stock crap. Think I posted that in one of your threads....
Thanks but I was asking for info on these specific wires.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 09:01 am
Banned

I do know of a couple people over at The Crew using the NGKs and they like them. Don't know resistance readings, but that is only one of the things you should know when buying wires. The granatellis for instance, are generally accepted as having a "0" ohm resistance reading. The down side of "0" resistance is that they have been reported to have caused a high rpm miss (affected the PCM) in JUST A FEW PTs. Personally, I wouldn't use them because of that REMOTE possability. There are to many other "low resistance" wires out there that do the job just fine.

There are other things like there ability to withstand heat, physical abuse (rips, tears), ability to seal out "the elements", core life, arch penetration, etc. that also come into play.

In no particular order;

1. MSD
2. Taylor
3. Crane Fire Wires
4. Magnacore
5. NGK
6. Chrysler blue performance wires
7. Accel, don't know if these are still available.

There MAY be one or two I forgot, I haven't had my coffee yet.

I have heard several bad comments about the Beldon wires, for what thats worth. I also "PERSONNALLY" wouldn't use any of the "in store" brands that are out there. I prefer to use the performance rated, higher end brands, like the ones I listed above. I have and also know other people that have used them all and would recommend them to anyone.

I think I remember someone here recently mentioning that a set of wires he just purchased had a higher resistance reading than the stock wires. The stocks are 2400 to 8900 0hms in less than a foot! Not only is even the 2400 ohms high but the huge distance between the high and low readings show a complete lack of quality control. I checked all of my customers wires during the first go-round when they came to me and every wire was closer to the 8900 reading. I replaced each stock set with either Crane or MSD or Taylor. They all worked equally well.

Jerry
herbie53 likes this.

Last edited by wwpptc; 25 Apr 2012 at 05:23 pm.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 05:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Jerry. It sounds like I am doing OK with the wires I have. Unreal that the stock ones are so bad.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 07:58 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
I do know of a couple people over at The Crew using the NGKs and they like them. Don't know resistance readings, but that is only one of the things you should know when buying wires. The granatellis for instance, are generally accepted as having a "0" ohm resistance reading. The down side of "0" resistance is that they have been reported to have caused a high rpm miss (affected the PCM) in JUST A FEW PTs. Personally, I wouldn't use them because of that REMOTE possability. There are to many other "low resistance" wires out there that do the job just fine.

There are other things like there ability to withstand heat, physical abuse (rips, tears), ability to seal out "the elements", core life, arch penetration, etc. that also come into play.

In no particular order;

1. MSD
2. Taylor
3. Crane Fire Wires
4. Magnacore
5. NGK
6. Chrysler blue performance wires
7. Accel, don't know if these are still available.

There MAY be one or two I forgot, I haven't had my coffee yet.

I have heard several bad comments about the Beldon wires, for what thats worth. I also "PERSONNALLY" wouldn't use any of the "in store" brands that are out there. I prefer to use the performance rated, higher end brands, like the ones I listed above. I have and also know other people that have used them all and would recommend them to anyone.

I think I remember someone here recently mentioning that a set of wires he just purchased had a higher resistance reading than the stock wires. The stocks are 2400 to 8900 0hms in less than a foot! Not only is even the 2400 ohms high but the huge distance between the high and low readings show a complete lack of quality control. I checked all of my customers wires during the first go-round when they came to me and every wire was closer to the 8900 reading. I replaced each stock set with either Crane or MSD or Taylor. They all worked equally well.

Jerry
Hi, I think I was the guy that unfortunate guy. The local auto parts store over the counter ignition wires right out of the box the first one I tested was at least 4K which was higher than any of the OEM wires. I think the highest OEM reading was 3.5K. I'm current scouring this forum for pearls of wisdom from the gear heads here. I love this site. By the way The over the counter ones were not cheap either I think they were $38.

Last edited by herbie53; 25 Apr 2012 at 08:00 pm.