Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
N/A low output turbo install ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2012, 01:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default N/A low output turbo install ?'s

I'm looking for help from anyone who has went this route. I've searched the forum and all I've come up with is buy a gt. I've been reading on the neon forums that many have had great results with installing a turbo on a n/a motor. So far I've ordered a used turbo intake manifold with fuel rail injectors, and the exhaust manifold off a ptgt. I plan on ordering a intercooler aswell. My questions are what type of turbo shoud I go with, wastegate? How do I increase the fuel pressure and by how much? What issues will I have with the PCM and how do I overcome them? How do I get oil to and from the turbo? Or anything else. Like I said I want to do a low output maybe 8psi max since Im not looking to change the internals yet. However yes down the road I will get srt4 rods and pistons, getrag tranny and work on lowering my compression so I can get more boost. But for the time I would just like to get a little more pep out of my pt then I'll work on building up the internals. I read The axe effect and tried emailing him and didn't get a response to my questions. I would just like to be able to pick someones brain who has went through this already maybe to save myself any extra frustration, time and money that this project will already take. Thanks and much obliged
Old 29 Apr 2012, 02:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: N/A low output turbo install ?'s

isnt this gonna cost about as much as a GT????? just asking unless you are doing all the wrenching labor is gonna eat ya up
Old 29 Apr 2012, 02:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

All the labor myself
Old 29 Apr 2012, 09:12 am
Veteran Cruiser

There's plenty of used SRT turbofolds around.
I wouldn't worry at all about the mechanics, it's being able to control spark
and more importantly, AFR's that's hard.

Focus on that, THEN talk hardware.

You can build and install MegaSquirt, very inexpensive
Old 29 Apr 2012, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Afr is air/ fuel ratio right? I really need to pick someone's brain who went this route. Hell I'll Paypal him some money if my engine doesn't explode or give yah a free tattoo!!!
Old 29 Apr 2012, 03:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'm sure there's lots of 2d gen Neons ('00 and up) that did SRT swaps, or
just 2.4's Turboed. I'd ASSUME* the electronics are similar to PT.

Using Megasquirt on the old Neon was EZ- Only a few wires for piggyback
control, and they'd use a 'missing link' on MAP so PCM wouldn't see pressure.
(Megasquirt has it's own built-in MAP)
Again, we've built multiple MS I units, and installed two standalone, one piggyback on the 2.0 / old 2.4. Ours 2.0 are N/A;
I have only elementary experience with turbo's.

You will have an unarguably brilliant understanding of engine systems when you get done ...
YOU will have to learn this as it will be near impossible to have an expert there every time
you want to change something unless you have lots of cash.

E-85 is the natural choice for turbocars, but in northern regions it changes composition multiple time a year,
and you can get a sensor to have MS 'table-switch' when this occurs, but my head's
swimming just doing the basics ...

*Be very careful when I assume ...
Old 30 Apr 2012, 12:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Old 01 May 2012, 01:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
Hey Chris just read your swap post wow!!! Sounds amazing what you did . Kinda scary with the motor blowing but that's cause you when above the 8psi range on the stock internals right? What's your 2-cents on a cheap 8psi turbo setup? Thanks
Old 01 May 2012, 11:18 am
Senior Cruiser

Alex (low_pt) did a lot of the work-- guy's a genius. I was more or less a helping hand in the process.

Here's my take on it: if you've got an automatic and you're looking to turbo it-- forget it.
If you have the 5spd, you have a glimmer of hope..

(Please note: this is an extreme simplification of the required parts)

You'll basically use the SRT turbo and exhaust manifold for the swap-- at least that's the easiest thing to do. You'll need a way to supply fuel. You can either go with a Walbro in-tank to replace the OEM fuel pump, or you can be crafty and use an auxiliary pump in-line with the stocker. Fuel will flow from the tank to a rising-rate fuel pressure regulator that requires a vac source. You'll also need to run a return line back to the tank. You'll obviously need larger injectors. I'm currently using Accel 30# injectors and they seem to work just fine for 'stock' power levels. You'll need to find a way to create your intercooler pipes. Best option is to use the PTGT intercooler, as it's slightly smaller than the SRT but fits our application much better. You'll need a flange for a BOV unless you plan to use the stock surge valve. Then you'll need to figure out your exhaust situation. I'm using an SRT 3" O2 and downpipe, but had a full 3" exhaust fabricated behind those pieces. The SRT downpipe is (if I recall) a few inches shorter than the PT downpipe, so you'll need an extension and some exhaust clamps.

There's a ton of stuff I'm forgetting, but if you're relatively mechanically inclined, you can do it. Just make sure it isn't your daily driver and don't expect to not mess up or encounter issues. It will happen.

And for the love of god, do not boost past 8psi..

Old 01 May 2012, 11:59 am
Veteran Cruiser

Wow.

!