PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Air Box Mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2012, 04:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Air Box Mod

I was alittle confused at first until saturday when i bought a K&N drop-in and realized what the air box mod really is......makes sense hopefully have it done sometime this week. So is not worth modifying the intake at all, from the turbo i mean. I saw a couple like I mention in my other thread about intakes that utilize the air box or would be easier just to buy a $30 intake from pep boys modify it and use the air box mod just wondering......O yea when I was changing the filter i noticed alot of gunk and oil that collected in the air box I flushed and scrubbed it real good but there are still some remenants remaning and advice to get a good clean out of it. I bought a new sponge oil filter for it because the one I had was pretty ditterated.
Old 07 May 2012, 07:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Air Box Mod

I am confused as I thought that this stuff was already covered in your other thread?

The oil gunk is apparently common.
Old 07 May 2012, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyGT View Post
I am confused as I thought that this stuff was already covered in your other thread?

The oil gunk is apparently common.
Didn't somebody have a mod for this oil in the air box thing?

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 May 2012, 09:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Here is mine just did it the other day. Just some simple parts. Oil catch from Lowes (Kobalt) I beleive a 3/8's barb fiting, an O ring grommet i had lying around. Had to open up the hole slightly with an awl to get the fitting to seat just right and trim away some plastic where the foam filter usaully resides.

K & N Drop In, MSD 8.5 MM Wires, Hood Scoops, MOPAR Rear Spoiler, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, SRT Boost Gauge, MOPAR Stage 1 Upgrade, AMX Intake Pipe, 225/50/16 Kumho AST Tires on MB 16 X 7 Alpina Rims with MOPAR logo, Power Slot Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Air Box Oil Catch Can
"Coming Soon" AMX Intercooler Pipes, B Woody Mounts, Strut Bar, MOPAR Ground Effects Kit, Gold Line 2" Lowering Springs, KYB G2 Struts & Shocks, GT Instrument Cluster, Auto Stick Conversion

My Other Rides:
1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 340 Auto Sassy Grass Green Numbers Matching with Air Grabber
2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4 4.7L Auto Flame Red Stage 1 Jet Performance Chip, K & N Drop In
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition 4X4 4.0L Auto Inferno Red
Old 07 May 2012, 09:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The one I was refuring to was out side the box! Seems like XtrmDC was talking about it one time. I could be mistaken about that.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 May 2012, 05:35 pm
Young Cruiser

i was looking where the air box sucks in from the fender and it doesnt seem like there is direct route. There seems to be some kind of patch on mine wouldnt consider removing it or id get shit in there. But what punching small holes around where the snorkel sucks in air and just installing some kine of venting shield to protect form depry?
Old 08 May 2012, 06:06 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I had a similar catch can inside my airbox and I removed it. I was told is not necessary, because it restricts the air movement, since at low rpms needs to blow air then at WOT needs to suck ( the other way around )...
Old 08 May 2012, 10:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Air Box Mod

That's why u install a small breather filter like I did.
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt motor, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Many other mods soon to come.
Old 09 May 2012, 01:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

HMmmm reducing the size of your air filter isn't a good idea. Or maybe you're talking about his catch-can. I personally would not add a catch-can INSIDE my airbox, anything you do in there affects the air flow.

The catch-can is a great idea for keeping the oil and oil fumes from coming back around and into your intake. If you're running an HO turbo, you can remove your intake manifold and you'll see how much oil you've been sucking in, it will leave traces in the manifold. I pulled mine off and cleaned it all out, then put an external filter on the make-up air breather line from the crankcase. In most states that's not acceptable because it allows the crankcase gases to escape to the atmosphere, but since it's being filtered at least it's not carrying the fumes with it. The catch-can between the make-up air connection and your airbox is the best idea, you capture the oils and gases and yet still recirculate the pressure off the crankcase back into your intake, as it should.

The idea of the airbox mod itself was to reduce airflow restrictions by pulling that junk out of the lines into and out of the airbox.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!