Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
This is my Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2004, 02:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default This is my Question

MoPar Performance tells us a 2.5" exhaust with stage II is required. However, MoPar Performance offers us a 2.5" system that goes to a muffler, not straight through, then has to make a 180 deg. turn which then exits very small 1 3/4" tail pipes. I would say a 2 1/4 " straight through system, such as BTG or Magna flow would flow better than this MoPar system. So why is a 2.5" exhaust system required for stage II when MoPar does not really offer one. [:I]
Old 05 Feb 2004, 04:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

On the Mopar topic. the 2 1.75" exits are more than enough to avoid restrictions. They will flow considerably more than the 2.5" inlet could flow. Honestly you are really making too much of this exhaust thing. There may be a couple HP difference between all the 2.5 systems out there, and that will depend on a lot of environmental factors when you are on the dyno. It is hard to get 2 dyno runs in a row to come back exactly the same, even on the same car with no changes. Just get one you like. Everybody acts like it is such a big deal. It really isn't. I hate saying this but I have been modifying cars since I was 17, like 30 some years, and unless you are building a car for the track, it just isn't that big a deal. You all keep pissin' and moanin' about a couple of HP that you really aren't going to feel anyhow. Mopar has said the 2.5 system is good to 300 HP. Did they just pull this number out of their butts? This is considerably more than 95% of our PT's will ever produce. For the other 5%, I apologize.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 05 Feb 2004, 06:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just got home from muffler shop to have my single outlet Heartthrob system installed. I painted the muffler with black high temp paint. The system has a deeper sound that stock but is not loud at all. So far I am very pleased with the system and price.
Old 05 Feb 2004, 07:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

First off cal cruiser I am not pissing and moaning. Second the mopar 2.5" unit will not flow better than a straight through 2.25", plain and simple. Thirdly, why don't you pull your head out of your arse before you blabber on. GEEZ, all I am asking is why I should spend money on a Mopar 2.5 system when I have a btg 2.25 and will flow as good or better? What is the justification of Mopar telling us we need a 2.5" system? Just to sell us crap we don't need?
Old 05 Feb 2004, 08:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Okay let me make this REEEEL simple. All I am saying is that the total outlet volume of the combined 2x 1.75" outlets will efficiently release any gasses introduced to the muffler by a 2.5 inlet. I am just tired of eveyone making such a big deal out of the DIFFERENCES between exhaust systems. There won't be that much of a differnce in performance. Oh, and the Borla muffler is a "straight thru" muffler. I have had 3 Borla systems now for various cars and that is how they make their mufflers. I am sure that Borla/Mopar has more information than you do about the flow of their systems.

bye
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 05 Feb 2004, 09:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Silky how does the system fit, does the muffler stick out much and does everything line up ok?
Thanks for the positive response
Old 05 Feb 2004, 10:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have the BTG and like the look of it, but Cal is right, for pure horsepower there isn't 10 hp difference in the various systems.

Now my soapbox!

The turbo engineers tell us that if we want to make a significant differance in the efficiency of the turbo (POWER), the larger piping needs to be right off the turbo (check the 1.75"down pipe and cat that come stock)....replacing these items with 3" cat and downpipe WILL make that great big difference you are looking for!
Old 05 Feb 2004, 10:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Can't we all just get along[^]

Also, I have the HeartThrob dual TIP system. Seems to me IF I remember correctly there WAS plenty of room in the tunnel part for a larger diameter resonator. My gut feeling tells me there can't be all that much HP diff between each system.[:I]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 06 Feb 2004, 02:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer

Oh, and the Borla muffler is a "straight thru" muffler. I have had 3 Borla systems now for various cars and that is how they make their mufflers. I am sure that Borla/Mopar has more information than you do about the flow of their systems.

bye
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=5903

does that look like a flow through, it sure doesn't to me!
Old 06 Feb 2004, 04:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

My system I had custom is 2.5" into a transverse Magnaflow single in dual out. The pipes are 2.25" each.
There are no baffles or deflectors in the magnaflow muffler and flow is quite good.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html