Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Manual Boost Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2012, 08:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Manual Boost Controller

Picked up a manual boost controller and well Im alittle frightened of it. does anyone know how much boost the stock turbo can handle? Its a easy install but I really dont want to crank it up to high just maybe use the turbo for what its worth......or should I not even bother with it. Also I have the wideband sitting in the box should I hook it up with it?
Old 25 May 2012, 12:55 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Manual Boost Controller

Do you have a boost gauge and a wideband? A boost gauge is a necessity and you really should know where your air/fuel is.
Old 25 May 2012, 07:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

Please install wideband first, also suggest boost gauge. Not sure how well the manual boost controllers work on the PT as boost is PCM controlled and if the PCM sees too high of boost it will there a overboost error and may go into limp mode. I've also heard of the PCM compensating and bringing boost back down, but I'm not 100% on most of this, except get the wideband and boost gauge installed first.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 26 May 2012, 06:33 am
Senior Cruiser

I'm not sure if it's you specifically I answered or someone else.

A manual boost controller will only allow you to run as much boost as you currently push. If it was you I answered (with yet the same answer), please read what's said to you.

Boost, as stated above, is PCM-controlled. Also, the stock turbo can handle well over 25psi but guess what? Nothing over 20-21psi does anything but spin the turbo really fast plus you've got fuel-mods required to handle the boost. Let's not forget exhaust upgrades, the ability to even turn the boost up at all, MAP sensors to use anything above 18psi properly, and more. I've done all this and more; take it from me and others with experience when it comes to said-answers/suggestions.
Old 26 May 2012, 11:38 am
Young Cruiser

Im not trying to run 20psi or anything like that. I believe the most i get as of now is about 8psi so if I knock it up to 10-12psi would that even be pushing it to hard?
Old 26 May 2012, 12:10 pm
Banned

How do you know what your boost is unless you have a boost gauge?

I am running 15-16 lbs of boost with a diablo Trinity 93 Tune.

I just got my wideband, so I will have to play around with it then.

Seems a pretty common consensus to get the wideband before you mess with much, but then you will need a boost gauge.

Its up to you though
Old 26 May 2012, 12:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You will set it to 10-12 psi, but the PCM will bring it back down to stock.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 26 May 2012, 02:20 pm
Young Cruiser

Stock boost is around spiking to 12 and dropping to around 8psi. I have stage 1 on my '03 with the airbox mod, exhaust, HHS bov and a dual stage boost controller. 1st stage of the bc is set to stock boost, which I use around town and the second stage bc set at 18, which i use mostly on the highway. I have to warn my wife before I go to stage 2 on the fly because it snaps her neck back. You can't turn up the boost without Stage 1 or the diablosport predator.
Old 27 May 2012, 12:28 pm
Young Cruiser

well i installed it and now im running 10psi with spikes 11-12psi and no PCM interference. Its nice it actually holds at 10psi without falling abrubtley. O I do have a boost gauge installed I just havent done the wideband yet but I seem to be having no problems whatsever expect more boost
Old 27 May 2012, 02:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseJox View Post
well i installed it and now im running 10psi with spikes 11-12psi and no PCM interference. Its nice it actually holds at 10psi without falling abrubtley. O I do have a boost gauge installed I just havent done the wideband yet but I seem to be having no problems whatsever expect more boost
Those are stock boost numbers. I wouldn't go past stock unless I had stage 1 or diablosport as more fuel is provided with those to turn up past stock. Otherwise you'll run lean and golf ball size holes in the block aren't a pretty sight. Really easy to run lean and it doesn't take but a second to destroy the block.