Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The S&B CAI part 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2012, 08:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Default The S&B CAI part 2

in my earlier thread I posted about me installing a S&B intake to the PT. However I left a couple mishaps in the design of the unit. One being the holes on the airbox were off center and I could barely screw two of them down the factory airbox mount and that the plexy-glass cover screw holes were completley off. So l I wrote to S&B and told them I was dissapointed with the product I recieved. I mentioned that the product was discontinued since 07' and that me bitching would probablly mean nothing. However I was informed from one of the techs that they were sorry my dissapointment with the product and told me they would bring the mold out and make me a new airbox unit. When i got the e-mail I replied and asked if there is any way they could enclosed the entire airbox unit much like the stock box (see my earlier thread with pik to understand what Im describing) and the tech agreed and told me he would send me a completley enclosed airbox. So heres what Im thinking would it be better to leave the entire unit enclosed or make a snorkel like on the stock box. I found a 4'' in diameter 70-80 degree plastic elbow from a old leave blower that I could cut down to use or I dunno maybe something else. Just looking for some input i will post piks soon of the unit to see what the best route would be to take. Thanks for the help guys this maybe the bets CAI for the PT when im done with it
Old 16 Jul 2012, 07:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: The S&B CAI part 2

Howdy Loose.....
I posted just a little while ago on your original thread. Like I said there, I got the S&B filter/airbox years ago and still run it. BUT..... I was (and am) a big, 50 trim turbo so the supplied pipe never did line up. I had to hack off a few inches of the hardpipe to make it work and I may have had to buy my own reducing elbow to fit the 50 trim turbo also. I don't remember all the details. it was so long ago.

You may have an airbox from a non-turbo which would explain the mis-match. But I don't see why you couldn't make it work even if you had to cut or replace the hardpipe. I have probably modified 90% of the stock and aftermarket pieces on my Cruiser and all of it looks stock or better. Even back then the plexiglass piece was too tight of a fit. I just filed it down to make it fit and maybe I enlarged a hole or two. The airbox casting must shrink a bit. When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

I'm used to people being all excited for a look as I open my hood.....
but after they get a peek and they don't see a ton of hacked together crap, they lose interest. My car makes the best impression at the finish line.

Last edited by 2step; 16 Jul 2012 at 07:55 pm.