Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
THE BOX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2012, 04:34 pm
Young Cruiser

Default THE BOX

Well I just got the box and here it is. Its completley enclosed cept for the hole the intake goes in. Im still debating wether or not put a hole in with the snorkel to feed in cold air. Any advice or should I just leave it alone. I also enclosed a pik of the old one to show the difference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box 1.jpg (32.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg box 2.jpg (24.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg sb.jpg (95.0 KB, 92 views)
Old 09 Jul 2012, 10:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: THE BOX

Somewhat confused. You say it's completely enclosed except for where the intake comes in? Where does it draw air from?

I'd definitely look into modifying it by running a line directly to the hole in the fender. I'm looking at doing the same on mine, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Old 09 Jul 2012, 08:20 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseJox View Post
Well I just got the box and here it is. Its completley enclosed cept for the hole the intake goes in. Im still debating wether or not put a hole in with the snorkel to feed in cold air. Any advice or should I just leave it alone. I also enclosed a pik of the old one to show the difference
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
Somewhat confused. You say it's completely enclosed except for where the intake comes in? Where does it draw air from?

I'd definitely look into modifying it by running a line directly to the hole in the fender. I'm looking at doing the same on mine, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Chris I'm with you. It's got to be able to get air from somewhere. I'd cut a 3" round hole where the original SB had the rectangular hole (LJ's picture no. 3) and run something like 3" pvc gutter pipe from there.

Chris, I remember 2step over at The Crew was the first to run the SB on a PT many, many years ago. Its always been one of the best.

Jerry
Old 10 Jul 2012, 01:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Jerry,

I haven't looked at 2step's setup. I'll have to take a look. I was thinking about fabbing up some sort of intake using my old, stock airbox and finding a way to plumb it to the turbo. Not entirely sure what I'd like to do yet. My battery is definitely in the way...

Old 10 Jul 2012, 06:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Chris or Jerry has anyone even measured the IAT's?

Both at the air cleaner and again before the TB.
It is an idea I was kicking around but wanted some info from you guys.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Jul 2012, 07:48 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Chris or Jerry has anyone even measured the IAT's?

Both at the air cleaner and again before the TB.
It is an idea I was kicking around but wanted some info from you guys.
Yes, that has been done several times over the years, first time was back in 03--04 if I remember correctly by AMX and apexanimal and 2step among others. I don't remember what the temps were right now, but I could research it for you when I get time. They used actual manually read measurements at the Air filter housing and then the readings from the IAT just ahead of the tb, taken from an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge. In my opinion owners should get back to the Aeroforce, But nobody listens to this old man anymore. There are custom made STAGE 1 and STAGE 2 fmic's already being made by Taggert, a member here on this site for many years. It's a real quality unit that has the distinct advantage of bolting right into the stock position with no modification on the 03 to 05 PTs and only minor facia modding on the 06 up. Chromenut here on this site is using one of the STAGE 2's. I'm sure I can find the dimensions and post them tomorrow, if you would be interested. There may also be flow rates somewhere on them, but I'm not sure.

That being said, we're always open to "new and improved" our engines. Let us know what you've got in mind wnen you're ready.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 13 Jul 2012 at 12:00 pm.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 08:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes I would be interested. Jerry thanks!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Jul 2012, 08:24 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
Jerry,

I haven't looked at 2step's setup. I'll have to take a look. I was thinking about fabbing up some sort of intake using my old, stock airbox and finding a way to plumb it to the turbo. Not entirely sure what I'd like to do yet. My battery is definitely in the way...

Chris, 2step has one of the cleanest, most efficient set ups out there. It would be worth your time to go over and talk with him. He used the same small braille battery (#3121) I use to give him room to improve his cold pipe configuration. He cut his S&B and came out with a 5" pipe to fenderwell. I'm sitting here rolling around your NA box and its relationship to the Turbo configuration you've got now and unfortunantly a clear answer isn't coming yet. I'll keep head scratch'n on it. 2step bought the AGP test mule PT when they lost interest in the PT aftermarket line. He then proceeded to improve on it and WOW! It's one of the fastest out there----anywhere. Of course Total Sleeper has got them all covered. We haven't heard much from TS lately. I hope he's still doing ok?

It sounds like you're close to getting your monster back on the road.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 13 Jul 2012 at 12:01 pm.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 10:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The other forum is very difficult finding anything specific.
Makes you really appreciate this forum!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 11 Jul 2012, 01:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
Chris, 2step has one of the cleanest, most efficient set ups out there. It would be worth your time to go over and talk with him. He used the same small braille battery (#3121) I use to give him room to improve his cold pipe configuration. He cut his S&B and came out with a 3" pipe to fenderwell. I'm sitting here rolling around your NA box and its relationship to the Turbo configuration you've got now and unfortunantly a clear answer isn't coming yet. I'll keep head scratch'n on it. 2step bought the AGP test mule PT when they lost interest in the PT aftermarket line. He then proceeded to improve on it and WOW! It's one of the fastest out there----anywhere. Of course Total Sleeper has got them all covered. We haven't heard much from TS lately. I hope he's still doing ok?

It sounds like you're close to getting your monster back on the road.

Jerry
Jerry,

I'll definitely have to get in touch with him. I'm definitely going to need to figure out a solution to my battery situation.. Do you happen to have any pictures of the way you've mounted your battery? Mine's literally sandwiched to the fuse block now, since Alex and I needed to move the battery out of the way of the FMIC's up-pipe.. I'm still using the standard 26R, but it's literally right in the way of the hole in the fender. I was thinking about using some sort of sealed battery and laying it down, or finding a way to mount it 'lower' near the fog lamp area, since I have a ton of room down there..

BTW, we're definitely thread-jacking. :x

- Chris