PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
3 bar map & tip sensor?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jun 2012, 08:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking 3 bar map & tip sensor?

Was wondering what a 3 bar map and tip sensor was and if I should install one on my pt gt. Would I need it?
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 08:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 3 bar map & tip sensor?

Haven't researched much into them, but from what I can tell, you would need a rescale so the pcm understand what the signals mean. But please don't hold me to it since I haven't researched it yet so just going by hearsay.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 24 Jun 2012, 09:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: 3 bar map & tip sensor?

Ok not a problem. Thanks tho
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 10:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

3bar allows the PCM to see and adjust fuel tables around 30lbs. of boost and does require a rescale of your tune. The 2bar (which is factory) can handle up to 18lbs boost just fine. So No, unless your running a modified stock turbo/manifold OR a big turbo it is not needed.

If/when you do need to move up, you can get the factory 3bar sensors for the Dodge Caliber part number 5149056AA (2 required for the map and tip) for less than $50
Old 24 Jun 2012, 10:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing777 View Post
3bar allows the PCM to see and adjust fuel tables around 30lbs. of boost and does require a rescale of your tune. The 2bar (which is factory) can handle up to 18lbs boost just fine. So No, unless your running a modified stock turbo/manifold OR a big turbo it is not needed.

If/when you do need to move up, you can get the factory 3bar sensors for the Dodge Caliber part number 5149056AA (2 required for the map and tip) for less than $50
^Ditto!^
Old 25 Jun 2012, 02:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll be fine for now then.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 06:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

I agree with all the above posts. The 3-bar MAP/TIP by itself is not a performance enhancer. It's just that the stock MAP/TIP can only handle boost up to somewhere around 18psi and over that it will actually cut the power to the engine to "save" it from overboost. If you have your Cruiser turbo engine tuned and equiped to boost past 18psi safely then the 3-bar will allow higher boost.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 10:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok I see now well then I'll be sure to get one once I get my DSP!
Old 23 Jul 2012, 11:03 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksCruiser View Post
Ok I see now well then I'll be sure to get one once I get my DSP!

I see that;

1. You're an automatic.

2. You don't have an AFR gauge installed. Imho that should be your next mod. I'd sell the oil pressure gauge and put the AFR in that spot.

The two are not related, but both are very important when it comes to the amount of boost you would need to be seeing for you to go to the 3-bar sensors.

Jerry
Old 23 Jul 2012, 11:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Jerry. Me and xtreme are already all over the afr with him.

Eyeing one for him now once his money comes right.
XtrmDC2 and NicksCruiser like this.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*