PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Look for advice on plugs & wires - GT Turbo

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2012, 11:37 am
Young Cruiser

Default Looking for advice on plugs & wires - '05 GT Turbo

New to this forum, looking for some advice. Have a clean original 2005 PT GT convertible 2.4L High-output Turbo. Appears to have original mopar wires, no idea on plugs as I am the second owner, purchased from a dealer, now has just flipped 50k miles on it.

Looking to lightly upgrade, looks like NGK 3381 G-power platinum is a called for replacement plug as per the tag under the hood (NGK LZTR5AGP = 3381 part no.). My question is wires, as it appears from reading thru this forum not opt for the OEM Mopar wires & I am pretty sure i want to stay away from the "standard issue" black generic wires offered at my local corner AutoZone/NAPA/Advanced Auto parts. Would Bosch be acceptable w/o any issues, and if so, what MM since this is a HO Turbo? Found those to be reasonably priced (around $30) from on-line parts sources. Thanks for any comments.

Last edited by DroptopPTGTCruizer; 21 Jul 2012 at 11:40 am.
Old 21 Jul 2012, 12:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Look for advice on plugs & wires - GT Turbo

I'll be your least exciting reply and share that I just did mine Mopar, this was on the urging of my Service manager friend who discourages anything else.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 21 Jul 2012, 12:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Best Spark Plug Wires?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Jul 2012, 03:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

DON'T EVER USE PLATINUM PLUGS ON A TURBO ENGINE!!!!
Old 22 Jul 2012, 02:51 pm
Young Cruiser

Did some more reading & came to the conclusion that platinum isn't the way to go, thank you for that. NGK Iridiums it will be, and looks like a .040 to .045 gap is appropriate. Will go w/either an NGK or Bosch set of wires, will do some more looking. Thanks to all for the suggestions, much appreciated.
XtrmDC2 likes this.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 03:17 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

If you want something better, consider MSD wires...and gap the plugs at .035 - .040.
NicksCruiser likes this.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 04:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Personally, Vision Motorworks 10.2mm pure silicone. My favs. $30 for a set, but the shipping charges, imo, way too high. I'd look around. I bought mine locally. Course I'm in Nascar's headquarters, Mooresville, NC, with 100's of race teams all around me, so finding parts is pretty easy.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 06:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptopPTGTCruizer View Post
Did some more reading & came to the conclusion that platinum isn't the way to go, thank you for that. NGK Iridiums it will be, and looks like a .040 to .045 gap is appropriate. Will go w/either an NGK or Bosch set of wires, will do some more looking. Thanks to all for the suggestions, much appreciated.
If you go with the Iridiums, search on the specific way to gap them. DO NOT USE the old style gapping tool or feeler gauge. If you break the tip, you may as well throw it in the trash
I run the copper NGK 4306 plugs. I can change them 3 times for the price of one set of Iridiums
XtrmDC2 likes this.
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 23 Jul 2012, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Personally I always recommend a single electrode spark plug and a gaping tool to properly align and gap the spark plug. With a tool like the one I use or other's similar you get a perfect gap and it will not damage the center wire if you follow the proper gaping procedure with the gaping tool.
The use of the old fashion gaping tools are easy to inaccurately gap the plug which will cause a different and unpredictable flame Kernal in each cylinder.

Spark plugs are cheap and relativity easy to change. I recommend at least cleaning them or changing them out every 10K miles or sooner if you sport drive your engine.

This spark plug was gaped @ .040. Notice that the tip of the ground wire is aligned in the center of the center wire and that the surrounding ground wire gap is greater then at the tip so the spark will not drift. Electricity will follow the path of least resistance..

Personal joke directed at the following members only:
I well reframe form talking about spark plug indexing except with Chromenut, Badglas. UptownSport.. and a couple other's who are friends(?) of mine on this thread....................
Chromenut likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 23 Jul 2012 at 04:55 pm.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 05:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Look for advice on plugs & wires - GT Turbo

That's a pretty sweet gaping tool... after further hours of research & reading, and taking economics into it, going with NGK 4306 copper plugs, and Bosch 09477 wires. The challenge will be A) finding them locally w/o price gouging; B) finding them nationally w/o getting killed on shipping; and C) being that it's a turbo & all the pics & videos I've seen, a long afternoon spent under the hood removing the intake to get at the friggin plugs the engineers buried! Thanks everyone for your input, I will continue to use & read this forum often.