PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Restrictive Exhaust Manifold?

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2012, 09:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Restrictive Exhaust Manifold?

It's my understanding that one of the biggest setbacks on our stock exhaust system is the turbo manifold itself. How can I improve flow in that area? Sould I get a ported manifold or replace the elbow in the manifold? How does porting improve flow? I later plan on replacing my stock diameter exhaust with a 3 inch o2 housing, 3 inch DP with cutout and 3 in catback system. But I'd like to kno what I can do with the manifold.
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 09:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Restrictive Exhaust Manifold?

With a stock turbo, porting will only lower the heat a bit. Biggest gain will be the downpipe. Replace with a 3" high flow cat (or non cat if you can run it in your area) and rest of exhaust with 3".

Porting opens up the dia. and smooth bumps, casting, ridges,etc..to help the exhaust flow faster. Combo ported turbo and manifold will give a little more HP gain and lower heat.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 09:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Restrictive Exhaust Manifold?

What about getting a bigger elbow in the manifold? Does that help? Even I'd it doesn't add power I might go about it anyway, how would u get that done? How do u port the turbo?
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 10:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Smile Re: Restrictive Exhaust Manifold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksCruiser View Post
What about getting a bigger elbow in the manifold? Does that help? Even I'd it doesn't add power I might go about it anyway, how would u get that done? How do u port the turbo?
From my understanding it helps quite a bit. It is a "must" if you plan on going to an upgraded stocker.

I do not mean to sound rude, but if you are not planning on getting rid of/upgrading the atx then I wouldn't waste the time or money. I'm sure you've heard it before, considering that is the first thing said to ppl with atx's on the PT Forums.

But yes everyone I have talked to told me that if I plan on going upgraded stocker or plan on getting the most out of the stocker then to make sure I get the Elbow Mod done!

Try SDK: SDK Motorsports :: Mopar :: SRT-4 :: Port & Polish :: RS Exhaust Manifold

He ports, it looks like he sells them, but idk I'm a little confused on the thing...

Hope I helped!

-Jimmy
XtrmDC2 likes this.

Wife's White 2002 Limited: Konig 17" Rims, 5000k White HID Head Lights,

My Red 2003 GT: Sold.....
Old 14 Aug 2012, 10:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes I already have a rebuilt motor and currently getting a rebuilt turbo and next summer I plan on doing trans work so I'm just curious as to what I can do to improve flow in the exhaust manifold area.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 10:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Searches are your friend.

Some of your questions can be answered if you apply simple physics IE porting and its benefits, removing bottle-necks and so forth.

Anyway, porting helps and it's a given as to why so I won't go into that. The next restriction is the elbow on the turbo manifold. Next is your o2 housing, then your downpipe and so forth; in other words every piece of your stock exhaust system acts as an inhibitor.

PS Why get a 3inch catback if you're going with a cut-out anyway? Sure a catback can help, but if you're wanting that extra power just open up your cut-out. When you don't need that power, just keep the cut-out closed and enjoy the quiet/daily-driveable sound of an aftermarket muffler or budget-friendly catback.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 10:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2011 View Post
From my understanding it helps quite a bit. It is a "must" if you plan on going to an upgraded stocker.

I do not mean to sound rude, but if you are not planning on getting rid of/upgrading the atx then I wouldn't waste the time or money. I'm sure you've heard it before, considering that is the first thing said to ppl with atx's on the PT Forums.

But yes everyone I have talked to told me that if I plan on going upgraded stocker or plan on getting the most out of the stocker then to make sure I get the Elbow Mod done!

Try SDK: SDK Motorsports :: Mopar :: SRT-4 :: Port & Polish :: RS Exhaust Manifold

He ports, it looks like he sells them, but idk I'm a little confused on the thing...

Hope I helped!

-Jimmy
Thanks for the link, looks cool. Might consider it although I can prob just cut the stock elbow off the manifold and weld on a bigger one would that work or no? It's a cheaper way to go but if it saves money I'm all for it.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 11:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Red face Re: Restrictive Exhaust Manifold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
Searches are your friend.

Some of your questions can be answered if you apply simple physics IE porting and its benefits, removing bottle-necks and so forth.

Anyway, porting helps and it's a given as to why so I won't go into that. The next restriction is the elbow on the turbo manifold. Next is your o2 housing, then your downpipe and so forth; in other words every piece of your stock exhaust system acts as an inhibitor.

PS Why get a 3inch catback if you're going with a cut-out anyway? Sure a catback can help, but if you're wanting that extra power just open up your cut-out. When you don't need that power, just keep the cut-out closed and enjoy the quiet/daily-driveable sound of an aftermarket muffler or budget-friendly catback.
Well id still like it to flow well when the cutout is closed plus I may not want the loudness if an open cutout at all times.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 11:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the link, looks cool. Might consider it although I can prob just cut the stock elbow off the manifold and weld on a bigger one would that work or no? It's a cheaper way to go but if it saves money I'm all for it.
Yes it's cheaper and if you've got a good welder and the experience, go ahead and put a bigger elbow on it yourself.

If you're wanting to go big power, I would recommend going with SDK but rather than just getting the elbow replaced, I would add the option of going externally gated.

Quote:
Well id still like it to flow well when the cutout is closed plus I may not want the loudness if an open cutout at all times.
Well that's why I said go with a muffler or a not-so-big catback. Daily-driving/something quieter would be the reason to go with let's say, a 2 1/2" catback or just a magnaflow or borla muffler; going 3" catback will be pretty loud.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 02:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

One of these days I plan on pulling my exhaust manifold and port & polish it myself. Have all the proper tools, but pulling it is a beyatch to say the least. From what I've been told, pulling the engine and doing all the upgrades at one time is easier than anything else, so when I do my timing belt and water pump, I'm renting a bay at a friends Oil Change joint so I can pull the engine and get all the work done quickly in one weekend.