PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
BOOST LEAK TEST?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Sep 2012, 01:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Default BOOST LEAK TEST?

Just wondering if its possible to check for a boost leak without using a air-compressor? I have one but im scared i might do something wrong by using it. I was also told i have to make sort of a suction inlet thing and all this other crap. Is it possible to check it with the car on and applying boost that way to find a leak? Im pretty sure there is one because stock gt run about 14-15psi and im only getting about 9-10psi max. Thanks for the help
Old 09 Sep 2012, 01:45 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: BOOST LEAK TEST?

Stock GT boosts 9-10 lbs so you are normal.
NicksCruiser likes this.
Old 09 Sep 2012, 09:39 pm
Young Cruiser

i watched a motorweek video from back in the day and they said the TD04 pumps out 14psi? I dunno thats why I thought I had I had a leak
Old 09 Sep 2012, 09:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

10-11psi at most and that'd be due to weather/altitude.

You do know you boost slightly less to achieve the same power at a colder temperature than that of a warmer temperature.
XtrmDC2 likes this.
Old 09 Sep 2012, 11:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Yea its crazy in the morning when i drive to work and the air is nice dence and cold, the car performs at its peak. Actually helps me to enjy my morning before i go kill myself at work all day

However I still think something is wrong is there any easy way to check on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
10-11psi at most and that'd be due to weather/altitude.

You do know you boost slightly less to achieve the same power at a colder temperature than that of a warmer temperature.
Old 09 Sep 2012, 11:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yeah, if you do a search you'd find out how. I've explained it enough times myself

I do have a boost leak tester that, I was supposed to send to someone but I don't have their PM or anything. It's just a 3 or 4 ply silicone coupler; one end is open (for the turbo) and the other is sealed with a valve stem on it.

You'll need an air compressor with a regulator and filter (to keep moisture out). Connect the hose to the valve stem, run 20psi (not 1 psi more!) through the system with the key in the ON position and well, that's your boost leak test. The rest is self-explanatory.
Old 10 Sep 2012, 04:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Yea I was hoping there was another way without having to use a compressor. There no way to feel around by pressing the accelerator and forcing air out through with the turbo?

Quote:
Yeah, if you do a search you'd find out how. I've explained it enough times myself

I do have a boost leak tester that, I was supposed to send to someone but I don't have their PM or anything. It's just a 3 or 4 ply silicone coupler; one end is open (for the turbo) and the other is sealed with a valve stem on it.

You'll need an air compressor with a regulator and filter (to keep moisture out). Connect the hose to the valve stem, run 20psi (not 1 psi more!) through the system with the key in the ON position and well, that's your boost leak test. The rest is self-explanatory.
Old 10 Sep 2012, 05:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: BOOST LEAK TEST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseJox View Post
i watched a motorweek video from back in the day and they said the TD04 pumps out 14psi? I dunno thats why I thought I had I had a leak
The td04lr turbo does pump out 14psi but that is only on the SRT 4 neon, our pt gts only push 8 to 9 lbs stock even tho the utilize the same turbo idl why Chrysler did that but they did anyway.
Purple 2005 PT GT ATX w/ Mopar stage 1 PCM, Diablosport 93 oct tune, airbox mod, K&N drop in filter, Mopar BOV, AGP wastegate (8 psi spring), Custom made stage 1 camshafts, motor mount inserts, NGK Iridium plugs, MSD wires, ARP Head Studs, Gates Racing Timing Belt, AC Delete kit, purple painted Valve cover, Rebuilt (stock) Turbo , AEM Boost, Oil Pressure, and Wideband guages, triple guage A pillar pod, Strut Tower brace, Needswings 3in o2 housing, 3in downpipe w/ high flow cat and electric cutout, 2.5in Magnaflow catback, custom check valve, custom larger capacity trans cooler w/ built in cooling fan, Eibachs pro lowering springs, KYP front and rear struts, matte black hood and grille, gloss black stock SRT neon rims, purple lug nuts, blacked out tailights and reflectors so far. Built and bored out motor, AGP S256 turbo, ported cylinder head, and built trans soon to come.
Old 10 Sep 2012, 06:41 pm
Banned

Cool Re: BOOST LEAK TEST?

Quote:

That someone was me ;-)
Old 11 Sep 2012, 08:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
That someone was me ;-)
Give me your address then!

To the OP, harbor freight is your friend. You can pick up an air compressor for under $50 bucks either there or at Walmart even.