Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
gas fumes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Oct 2012, 05:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default gas fumes

Here's one for you guys. Recently I've starting smelling gas when I take the car wot. It almost smells like I'm dumping fuel straight out the tailpipe. It has new plugs and wires, plugs gapped at .038". It doesn't do it all the time but seems to be happening more frequently. I have no codes showing.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 10:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: gas fumes

did you get normal plugs?
Old 17 Oct 2012, 10:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

did you get normal plugs? does it feel slower when it happens, like it's pulling timing?
Old 17 Oct 2012, 10:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Not really enough to go on? One thought around the spark plugs if you do a lot of normal daily driving and then you do some causal WOT passes the plugs will have an erratic flame kernel which could cause an incomplete combustion burn and more un-burned raw gas will enter the exhaust system. Same principle, this is the reason you change your plugs after you arrive at a track to run your DD.
.038 as a spark plug gap seems very deliberate? Did you do plug gap testing to come up with this?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 Oct 2012 at 10:46 am. Reason: added sentence
Old 17 Oct 2012, 07:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well, my daily driving consists mostly highway and country roads. I gapped the plugs at .038 because factory is .040 and alot of the turbo guys run .035 so I split the difference...lol. The plugs are Champion coppers and have been in a couple months. I did not have the issue when I changed them out.

I just came to a bit of a realization as I was typing this. It all started about a month ago when I changed jobs. I have been fueling up at a different gas station. When I fuel up at Kroger gas station, it's fine. When I go to Meijer, I start getting the issue. Hhhmmm....I'm going to have to prove this out and stop fueling at Meijer for a while.
Old 17 Oct 2012, 07:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey68 View Post
Well, my daily driving consists mostly highway and country roads. I gapped the plugs at .038 because factory is .040 and alot of the turbo guys run .035 so I split the difference...lol. The plugs are Champion coppers and have been in a couple months. I did not have the issue when I changed them out.

I just came to a bit of a realization as I was typing this. It all started about a month ago when I changed jobs. I have been fueling up at a different gas station. When I fuel up at Kroger gas station, it's fine. When I go to Meijer, I start getting the issue. Hhhmmm....I'm going to have to prove this out and stop fueling at Meijer for a while.
That's funny about the gaping!

It could very well be. Meijer may be getting mixed brand refined fuels from different wholesalers which is cheaper for them but the use of some stations doing this has been known to cause issues to sensitive engines?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN