Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PLEASE I hate to be a nusense but I need desperate help here PLEASE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Oct 2012, 12:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Exclamation PLEASE I hate to be a nusense but I need desperate help here PLEASE

Before trying to help me I want you to know I really Appreciate any help or suggestions and please don't take offense but PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST before suggesting any theorys.
I had posted a couple of post already and thought I had this fixed.

I have a 2003 GT Car always ran good with no problems before.
Then a week ago one day while driving I had problems with the car losing power and my engine light started blinking..It was stumbling and almost seemed like it wanted to die and when I stopped it started shaken and chockin then the engine light came on. Got home and parked it Next day started it and did the same thing but this time my engine light was blinking so I hooked it up to a DBR II scan tool and got P0172 fuel trim System Rich Bank 1 and "P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected"
A member here suggested I change the Plugs, Wire, Coil Pack in that order..

So I had on planning to put my stage 1 that I bought a few months back.
So I figured if I am going to change the plugs and wires then I will just install all of the parts while I am there.

So this is what I did.

Changed PCM to Stage 1
Changed Injectors
Changed upper/Lower intake to the plastic ones from a 06 GT
Changed Coil pack from a 03 (used and working)
Changed spark plugs (NGK) gapped at .38
Changed Plug wires to MSD 8mm
Changed MAP sensor

When I was done...she fired up the first crank with no problems. Then I drove it home from my buddys shop which is about half a mile from my house. I didn't have a problem at all with the car. She was running beautiful!

Next day I took her out drove for a good 45 minutes with no problems and then I came to a stop sign and it started shaken and felt like it was going to die. I started going again and it ran fine until I stopped again. Itfelt like the same problem I had before I changed everything.
Today Iused my remote car starter and had no problems at all the car idled fine; let it run for about 10 mins before I left. So I left and got about half a block and she started acting up again..turned around went home and parked it. Went and did some errands with my other Pt; got home and started the GT again but this time it was shaken/dyin right away.

the engine light hasn't come on and isn't blinking like it did before. Checked to see if there were any error codes that came up; but there isn't any.
No smoke, No backfiring, No Engine light on or blinking, No Codes, just shakes and feels like it's going to die; just like it was doing b
the first time Before I changed everything.

I am at a loss????? It is driving me nuts and I hate taking my car to a shop to get it fixed. Anyone have any ideas? It's going to snow the next couple of days, so I really want to fix this soon and I can't really afford to take it in..
Thanks
Old 19 Oct 2012, 12:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PLEASE I hate to be a nusense but I need desperate help here PLEASE

pm'd you

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 Oct 2012, 12:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Still sounds like a fuel issue to me. I had almost the same thing happen on a different one of my cars recently, and I had a bad injector. Being that you just changed your injectors, I would wonder if there is an intermittent short in the harness to one of the injectors, perhaps the #2 since it previously showed a misfire. If you have a timing light put it on each of the plug wires while it is running rough and see if any of them have an erratic flashing. Also you can use a multi-meter on the wiring harness at the injector plug to see if it is getting the proper power during those conditions.

Could also be a massive vacuum leak. You don't here any major hissing do you?
Old 20 Oct 2012, 12:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudking82 View Post
Still sounds like a fuel issue to me. I had almost the same thing happen on a different one of my cars recently, and I had a bad injector. Being that you just changed your injectors, I would wonder if there is an intermittent short in the harness to one of the injectors, perhaps the #2 since it previously showed a misfire. If you have a timing light put it on each of the plug wires while it is running rough and see if any of them have an erratic flashing. Also you can use a multi-meter on the wiring harness at the injector plug to see if it is getting the proper power during those conditions.

Could also be a massive vacuum leak. You don't here any major hissing do you?
Sounds liike a possibilty....How do I hook up the timing gun to check?
No major hissing..I checked all the vacume lines for any major leaks..
Old 20 Oct 2012, 12:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Modern timing lights have an inductive pickup lead which just clips around the plug wire, and two cables to hook it to the battery. If it has power from the battery and the car is running, once you clamp the lead around the plug wire it will immediately start flashing.
Old 20 Oct 2012, 12:46 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudking82 View Post
Modern timing lights have an inductive pickup lead which just clips around the plug wire, and two cables to hook it to the battery. If it has power from the battery and the car is running, once you clamp the lead around the plug wire it will immediately start flashing.
Cool thanks I am going to go buy a new one; cause the only one I got here is old and the bulb is burnt out

Quote:
Also you can use a multi-meter on the wiring harness at the injector plug to see if it is getting the proper power during those conditions
Do I do this when it is running as well and what should I be looking for?

Could be onto something here.......I'll have to do it tommorrow.
Thanks!
Old 20 Oct 2012, 01:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, it would have to be running to check the wiring. You really need to have an insulation piercing probe for your multimeter to be able to do this effectively. I am not sure on this car what exactly I would be looking for as I have not had to do it on this car. But on many cars whenever the injector fires a brief shot of voltage will show up on the meter. I would test each injector wiring and look for anomalies in one. You can also check the resistance of each injector with the car off, although being that you just replaced them I doubt any of them are bad.