PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Should I just burn the thing?? Looses power!!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Oct 2012, 03:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Should I just burn the thing?? Looses power!!

Ok. Here is the issue. 2003 PT Cruiser GT Dreamcruiser, 2.4 turbo with 51,000 miles. The check engine light has been on sincee I got it 10 months ago. The error codes it's reading are P0441, P0456, P0522. I have had it in the shop several times. Oh let me tell you the problem that might help. Never ha any issues with light being on car drove normal. Then about 2months ago car would loose power going up hills and on acceleration. I live in the mountains so this is a huge problem. If I try to get on it, it sounds like it will blow up and so I just have to creep along. I had my turbo checked and was told the tubine in the turbo was fine. Could the NVLD pump be causing this?? I know we all have our sob stories but I am a 34 year old single mom on disability with limited income. I cant keep playing ring around the shop and paying for them to keep looking. any advice woud be great!!!!
Old 19 Oct 2012, 04:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Should I just burn the thing?? Looses power!!

Sounds like it could be a clogged catalytic converter.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 04:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have read I would smell an egg smell. None of that present. Could it be the MAP?
Old 19 Oct 2012, 04:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Take a BIG breath go and get your codes cleared and start fresh. Who knows what codes are stored in RAM and are resent at this point?

Once cleared drive it for a while and once the check engine light comes on properly scan for codes and lets see what comes up.

The CAT smelling like bad eggs is not always a way to tell if it is bad or not Most 3 way CAT will not smell any different functional not. Many service shops can do a exhaust pressure test and/or emission test to see it is bad.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Oct 2012, 05:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I would take a look at the 02 sensor or sensors? You can check there function with a DVOM. If it's a WB02 it should read quickly between 0 and 5 volts if it's a narrow band between 0 and 1, Either way it should flicker rapitly!

Doesn't cost anything to check it with a DVOM!
Old 19 Oct 2012, 05:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18sw View Post
I would take a look at the 02 sensor or sensors? You can check there function with a DVOM. If it's a WB02 it should read quickly between 0 and 5 volts if it's a narrow band between 0 and 1, Either way it should flicker rapitly!

Doesn't cost anything to check it with a DVOM!
An 02 sensor would not cause that kind of power loss as the one being discribed.
UptownSport likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Oct 2012, 05:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Codes have been cleared several times with the same result. Same codes come back car drives like pooh!!
Old 19 Oct 2012, 06:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

True but my suggestion cost nothing except time. Power loss don't know bout these cars but in the past a check engine light is usually related to emission control system. Hence the 02 check and crappy mileage but no not really a lost of power to speak of.

But...funny noise and loss of power. Can you accelerate very slowly and it will maintane speed? Does it only rev to a certain point and stop reving and is it when you try and accelerate that you hear the funny noise?

If it fit's this description..i would take a look at the Throttle body to inter cooler hard pipe. It might be blowing off under boost?
Old 19 Oct 2012, 06:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm sorry. The funny noise I was referring to is just the dang motor sounding like I'm going to blow it up. If climbing hill, the car will not maintain acceleration. It will reach a certain point and begin to decrease. If accelerating on a flat surface while it takes some time she will maintain speed. As long as there is no grade in the road. So the only times I feel the performance issue is when trying to climb hills or when trying to accelerate.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 07:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hook up a vacuum gauge to the motor at idle...actually it has boost/vacuum gauge right? The needle should be right in the middle and steady at idle, if it's moving around erratically then something is off.

Or you can hook up a regular vacume gauge to intake manifold vacume, You can find YouTube clips on using a vacume gauge.

I'm still leaning towards a inter cooling hose poping off under boost. That was my introduction to Turbo motors! Throttle body to hard pipe hose gets soaked with oil and can pop off under boost.