Intercooler Dimensions?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2013, 03:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Intercooler Dimensions?

I know that the stock intercooler CORE dimensions are: 18.5 x 6.5 x 2.5

But what I am wondering is what the overall dimensions are. In the market for an after market one and I know Taggert makes them, but want to look into making my own first or finding one that fits.

The Cobalt SS intercooler OVERALL (from what I've found) dimensions are:
6.0" tall 3.0" thick and 27" long.

So I wanted to see if our overall matches theres also.

Again, not interested in seeing what is more cost efficient and what is the "better deal". I just want to know if any one knows the Overall Dimensions?

Thank you,

Jimmy

Wife's White 2002 Limited: Konig 17" Rims, 5000k White HID Head Lights,

My Red 2003 GT: Sold.....
Old 23 Jan 2013, 12:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Intercooler Dimensions?

Maybe some one will have that measurement for you.......
But, it's probably going to be a meaningless number. It's not just the size that matters but also the routing of the plumbing. I had one of the "Big" intercoolers that AGP Turbos made a couple of years ago and even though it was custom made for the GT, there was quite a bit of notching that had to be done to get the pipes from one side of the radiator to the other......

There has been a lot of time spent reserching and posting about this topic by a lot of owners, literally hundreds of posts, and in the end end there are probably only about 3 or 4 big intercooler install types that worked. Your best bet is to follow in the footsteps of one that worked.
Old 23 Jan 2013, 01:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Intercooler Dimensions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
Maybe some one will have that measurement for you.......
But, it's probably going to be a meaningless number. It's not just the size that matters but also the routing of the plumbing. I had one of the "Big" intercoolers that AGP Turbos made a couple of years ago and even though it was custom made for the GT, there was quite a bit of notching that had to be done to get the pipes from one side of the radiator to the other......

There has been a lot of time spent reserching and posting about this topic by a lot of owners, literally hundreds of posts, and in the end end there are probably only about 3 or 4 big intercooler install types that worked. Your best bet is to follow in the footsteps of one that worked.
Nice clean install.

I was wondering I did a little reading around and it seems no one really did before and after IAT's of any of them. So how does one know which are hype and which may work.
Doing this on another boosted engine we found that the stock IC was actually better at overall street use then most Performance after market units. And that at the track the bigger the better. Also it really depends on the quality of the core. Is it a square core center or aerodynamically contoured designed for flow and not air disruption?
mole likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN