Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
bigger injectors ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2013, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default bigger injectors ?

I apologize if this has been asked before I've seen some post but no for sure answers so my question is can I run bigger injectors with no problems I have a 03 gt with a diablosport intune some people have said I will have to get a custom tune done if I upgrade the injectors others say its a must so just trying to find out if I'll have issues if I upgrade my injectors was thinking of the rc ones equal to stage ones any info would be great thanks

Last edited by tslice; 24 Jan 2013 at 10:17 pm.
Old 25 Jan 2013, 12:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: bigger injectors ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslice View Post
I apologize if this has been asked before I've seen some post but no for sure answers so my question is can I run bigger injectors with no problems I have a 03 gt with a diablosport intune some people have said I will have to get a custom tune done if I upgrade the injectors others say its a must so just trying to find out if I'll have issues if I upgrade my injectors was thinking of the rc ones equal to stage ones any info would be great thanks
What makes you think you need larger injectors?

Generally you want to see what your AFR's are and the duty cycle of the injectors you are currently running to see if larger injector's are warranted?
This means running your current injectors at your top prospective engine speed and data logging them to evaluate what they are doing.
You may also need to check the performance of your current fuel pump to make sure it is capable of delivering the needed volume for larger injectors. I do not mean assuming that just because you are not have a problem with the pump you are using , but rather physically checking it out.

So doing it right would be to scale the new larger injectors to your engines platform.

I all to often see many under the HYPE of forums, friends and bad advice going to larger injectors when they are unnecessary. Many of these need serious scaling to get them to work acceptably. Many times to get a more linear power curve I have had customer replace the larger advised injectors with smaller ones which produced better overall results.
Generally if you get good results with you AFR's and at your target engine speed the injectors are at or below 80% you have the correct size needed.

RC Fuel Injectors has a very good formula you can use to determine your need injector size. Also talking to them about your PT and what you will be doing with it will help them give you their advise on an optimal injector size. Don't be surprised if they tell you the same thing i just posted! I talk with them at least once a month!: )

RC Fuel Injectors
RC Fuel Injection

Frequently Asked Questions
RC Fuel Injection

Fuel injector calculator

RC Fuel Injection

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 25 Jan 2013 at 12:11 am.
Old 25 Jan 2013, 12:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply the reason I'm thinking I need bigger injectors is because I'm running the diablosport intune and its similar to a stage one but the stage one 03 get used bigger injectors the 04 and newer gets came factory with the bigger injectors I'm not having any issues yet but I don't have a afr gauge to really tell me what's going on I'll be getting one here in the next month or so I only drive the car once a week so I'm not too worried right now
Old 25 Jan 2013, 12:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the reply the reason I'm thinking I need bigger injectors is because I'm running the diablosport intune and its similar to a stage one but the stage one 03 get used bigger injectors the 04 and newer gets came factory with the bigger injectors I'm not having any issues yet but I don't have a afr gauge to really tell me what's going on I'll be getting one here in the next month or so I only drive the car once a week so I'm not too worried right now
Do you have an auto stick or manual PT?

I realize that the later year PT's came with larger injectors ( mine is a 05 GT auto) but that does not mean they are needed for your application?

The Stag 1 is not quite like a Dioblosport and if you have an Automatic you would need both for optimal capabilities. The Diablosport has no access to the programming of the PT's automatic transmission.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 25 Jan 2013, 09:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have mtx that's why I went with the diablosport instead of stage one
Old 25 Jan 2013, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I have mtx that's why I went with the diablosport instead of stage one

Then your next investment should be a wideband AFR gauge?
Then............

Happy Tuning!!!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN