Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cowl rubber in or out.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2004, 11:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Turbo X

I found this on another site and though you might like it,I think it was done by AMX1397,
The other day i made a half ass test , removing the rubber seal under the hood at the cowl, to remove the heat from under the hood. my finding at that time was the the turbo runs cooler with the rubber installed. well today I made it a point to redo this test and i just did and THE RUBBER SHOULD BE INSTALLED. Here are the test. outside temp 77* Rubber removed! ran 60mph for 1 mile pulled over and made temp. readings, At the turboheat sheild, at the amx1397 METAL pipe and on the runners of the intake manifold .

1. first test rubber removed turbo 235* Pipe 136* manifold 107*

2. same conditions 2nd test turbo240* pipe 138* manifold 110*

now side of the road installed the rubber, maybe 2 min, to do it

3. rubber installed. turbo 146* pipe 110* manifold 86*

4 same conditions as 3 turbuo 182* pipe 110* manifold 94*

as i said i did this test before and people questioned was that right, and this made me question myself, so now i took care to make sure the conditions were all the same, and i now know that i was right when i said the rubber should be installed to force air over the engine to the turbo to help cool it.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 01:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

I was cleaning out the Taurus, looking at the indoor/outdoor thermometer and wondering if I should leave it. Hell NO! Take the underhood temperature test!! How will my turbo 04 do on the underhood test?
Film at 11![:I]
Old 22 Mar 2004, 04:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Put my cowl rubber back in but I can't for the life of me see where the front tiny seal by the radiator, if this is the right one, could do anything at all. The only seal I can find in the front is on both sides of the radiator is that the right one or do I need to do more digging around?
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 02:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

I put the I/O thermometer sensor under the hood right at the air intake (Airforce One)and drove in freeway traffic, 0 to 80 and couldn't see a temp rise above ambient(69 degrees) of more than 7-8 degrees (cowel gasket removed) until I stopped for a minute or two of cool down, or heat up. The temp went from 77 degrees to 125++ in one minute!
Now, if cool air is best for the turbo then 7 to 8 degrees above ambient at the air inlet isn't too bad.
If the lower the temp. the faster she goes then there are two choices:

1)Move the passenger side A/C duct into the engine air duct or
2)Move to Canada! [ ][]
Old 23 Mar 2004, 03:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

UPDATE!
Put my cowl rubber back in and two things happened the hood shake is gone and everything is at least 75% quieter. Since I have no temp probe I can't say if it is running hotter or cooler! I know it is not slower![8)]
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 09:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

SteelBlueGT: PJ here.I think a few of us was talking about the front cowl weather stripping. I had rubber around the complete front cowl.Took out 2ft. of it in center. It's the same rubber we have on back cowl. Happy GTing.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 05:19 am
Senior Cruiser

thanks PJ now I know what you were talking about. Dont know why I didnt see it all along but I missed the obvious. Thanks! I think I will wait for the temp readings before I mess with the front rubber. With the rear one back on it sounds quieter and the hood shake is gone! Still hear the K&N Typhoon at work just a little more muffled and only at above half throttle now!
Old 25 Mar 2004, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I put the cowl rubber back in and tried the same test. With ambiant at 62-64 it ran about 10 degrees hotter in traffic but went down to 4-6 degrees hotter at 50-60 mph. Stopped at light for about 1 min. and it went to 125+. I'll leave the rubber in because it is somewhat quiter and there was no difference in performance. It wasn't long enough to test mpg but if I can't get this sucker above 14mpg I'll try it again!
Old 29 Mar 2004, 12:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 03baggedturbo

Wow.. When I have my weather stripping out I can see the heat comming out of my hood.. The little heat waves so heat escaping must be good? Only thing I can think of is how air swirls.. maby when it is in the air swirls around and past the turbo thus cools it off.. when it is out or the hood the air (hot or whatever) doesnt blow past the turbo cooling it off instead escapes out of the hood.. very wierd.. ADAM