Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cowl rubber in or out.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Mar 2004, 03:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default cowl rubber in or out.

over the last few days another turbo owner and I have made some temp. test,first we will use his 03 turbo 100% STOCK.
1.run the car 60 mph for 5 miles, pull over and test the temp.
the exhaust side of the turbo on top behind the intake manifold.
2.on the intake manifold.
1. 298*
2. 237*
second test was on my car, mbc set at 18 with the amxdown pipe. and with the cowl rubber removed.
2. 220
now with the rubber installed.
1. 253*
2. 185*
so what i think i found is that the air goes over the engine then the over the turbo to help cool it.
Old 06 Mar 2004, 05:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

That is what's so nice about the SRT-4 hood scoop, it blows cooler air right over the turbo. I wish we could have the same hood scoop on our PT's!
[8)]
Old 06 Mar 2004, 11:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Remember, the cooler the air, the more power you will get.[8D]

Old 07 Mar 2004, 06:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 03baggedturbo

I am confused.. can you break the temp #'s down again
From what I am getting the stock car ran 298 and 237 on first run with rubber in place.

then your car ran 277 and 220 with rubber taken out..

then the third run your car ran with the rubber in or stock car rubber taken out?

If it was the stock car with rubber taken out you would explain the temps lower then yours because of you running higher boost-more heat? Because it's 20 deg difference.. thats a lot.. seems like if you are running 5 miles at 60MPH then it wouldnt matter what psi you had because you are running at a constant speed?

Or if you put the rubber back on your car then why is the stock car almost 50 deg different then your car with rubber in.. eather way there are big differences in #'s..

Old 07 Mar 2004, 09:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 03baggedturbo

I am confused.. can you break the temp #'s down again
From what I am getting the stock car ran 298 and 237 on first run with rubber in place.

then your car ran 277 and 220 with rubber taken out..

then the third run your car ran with the rubber in or stock car rubber taken out?

If it was the stock car with rubber taken out you would explain the temps lower then yours because of you running higher boost-more heat? Because it's 20 deg difference.. thats a lot.. seems like if you are running 5 miles at 60MPH then it wouldnt matter what psi you had because you are running at a constant speed?

Or if you put the rubber back on your car then why is the stock car almost 50 deg different then your car with rubber in.. eather way there are big differences in #'s..

we never took the rubber out of the stock car , i will repete this test and do it with rubber in and out of each car. and give you those numbers.
Old 07 Mar 2004, 09:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

amx1327: I had the rear weather striping off. Then I saw a note about turbo running hotter with it out. Put it back in for awhile. I took off front weather striping. Engine compartment seems to run even cooler. More cool air in to cool turbo? Maybe so. Your findings on temps. will be interesting.
Old 08 Mar 2004, 12:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pj

amx1327: I had the rear weather striping off. Then I saw a note about turbo running hotter with it out. Put it back in for awhile. I took off front weather striping. Engine compartment seems to run even cooler. More cool air in to cool turbo? Maybe so. Your findings on temps. will be interesting.
that would be a good test also maybe i can do that at the same time that i redue the cowl test thanks.
Old 08 Mar 2004, 08:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 03baggedturbo

amx1397- I wunder why your car ran 45/17 deg colder than the stock one with the weather strip on? What time difference did you do both cars.. how hot was it durring each car run? 45 deg is a lot for the same set up... ?

PJ- I have a question.. how did you tell that the engine ran cooler with the front weather stripping off.. did you take temp with a gauge.. because I never see my stock temp gauge move.. it is always in the middle and I drive my car hard..
Old 13 Mar 2004, 03:21 am
Senior Cruiser

Yes, I find the stock temp gauage to act more like a warning light than a gauge!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 14 Mar 2004, 09:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

03baggedturbo: I said under hood was cooler. I'm thinking, more air coming in from front with back cowling rubber on, seems more air to help cool turbo. Just a thought. It makes my engine bay cooler.