PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
K&N drop in a waste of time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Mar 2004, 12:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Blue Streak
Default K&N drop in a waste of time?

I don't want to drop too much money into the GT just yet, but I'm still interested in upping power. Would a simple K&N drop in make any difference in power? The car is completely stock right now- minus the white upper intake silencer. Oh and I have a chrome shift knob, which we all know adds, like, 20hp. lol
Old 07 Mar 2004, 03:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Sure it will help, you work better when you breath good, right?
And while you are at it, take out those do dads in the air box. They restrick the flow too. K&N is never a waste of money.
03 Steel Blue Pearl Turbo, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Magnaflow performance muffler, My Air Box mod., AMXpipe W/K&N filter, LED lighting,PT Tunning rear lowering springs & BGT Strut tower brace, Hankooks Ventus tires, Rage Motif 17 in. wheels. Tribal pinstrips by Palmer (who else), Color match paint by Etouchup.com, Plugs and wires by Sparkplugs.com, http://members.cardomain.com/rodrungtpt
Old 07 Mar 2004, 04:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Qiktacos

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RODRUN

Sure it will help, you work better when you breath good, right?
And while you are at it, take out those do dads in the air box. They restrick the flow too. K&N is never a waste of money.
The K&n will help and in the long run will save you money on air cleaners. Recharge kit cost like $20 and will last a long time. You will not be able to notice the gain, but it is there....
Old 07 Mar 2004, 09:24 am
Cool Cruiser

How much is "too much money"? For $350-$370 you can have a car that terrorizes the neighbor hood. Install K&N drop in filter, add the Stage 1 kit (can be bought for as little as $325 if you have a manual tranny).
Start burning rubber in first and second gear...

Deen
P.S. Plus some are reporting better mileage with the addition of Stage 1

GT, 5-Spd, K&N filter, Stage I, AGP 3147 Big Turbo, DTEC Fuel Kit, Tial WGA, Greddy Profec EBC, DCR 55mm TB, 05 Plastic Manifold, 180 Deg. Stat, CCA FMIC, AMX hard-pipes, Water-Injection, STS shifter, Needswings 3\" DP w/dump and Borla Cat-back, BG Drop Springs, Eibach Sway Bars, Panther alloys & Eagle F1 Max-Performance Tires. Best run to date...12.93 @113.45MPH.
77 Blown Vette-runs 10\'s @ 136 MPH.
Old 07 Mar 2004, 03:18 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Go for the "drop-in K&N"--it makes a difference! You should notice your
TURBO
spool-up faster!! I DID!!! [8)]
Old 07 Mar 2004, 06:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 03baggedturbo

When you do any upgrades you have to think of the big picture. How much money you have or want to spend on the car at this time or in the near future. If you want a little more pep for not a lot of money then get the drop in filter.

This is what I always think of. OK spend $40 now on something that is kinda what I want. Or wait to save up a little more money and get what I really want. In the next 6 months if you plan on getting an intake then you kinda wasted the original money you spend on the K@N drop in. If on the other hand you do not plan in the near future on getting a different intake then the K@N is a good deal.

The cool thing about an aftermarket intake with an open filter (no box around it) is you can hear the turbo spool up nice. Trust me once you hear that you wont want to have a box around it anymore.

Also I tried my Uppercharge piping with Blitz blow off vavle with my intake then tried it with the stock box. You can still kinda hear the BOV with the stock box but with the my intake on you can hear it realy loud.

ADAM
Old 07 Mar 2004, 06:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 03baggedturbo

When you do any upgrades you have to think of the big picture. How much money you have or want to spend on the car at this time or in the near future. If you want a little more pep for not a lot of money then get the drop in filter.

This is what I always think of. OK spend $40 now on something that is kinda what I want. Or wait to save up a little more money and get what I really want. In the next 6 months if you plan on getting an intake then you kinda wasted the original money you spend on the K@N drop in. If on the other hand you do not plan in the near future on getting a different intake then the K@N is a good deal.

The cool thing about an aftermarket intake with an open filter (no box around it) is you can hear the turbo spool up nice. Trust me once you hear that you wont want to have a box around it anymore.

Also I tried my Uppercharge piping with Blitz blow off vavle with my intake then tried it with the stock box. You can still kinda hear the BOV with the stock box but with the my intake on you can hear it realy loud.

ADAM
I agree with everything Adam has to say about planning ahead so you don't waste money. I at one time had the AMX turbo up intake and you can hear the turbo spooling up faster and my HKS bov sounding off loudly. But with the setup I now have I can still hear the turbo spooling up faster and the HKS bov sounding off loudly. Because of the sucking in engine heat I modified my airbox. I removed the white silencer, cut the bottom silencer off flush to the inside of the airbox so the neck is still over the fenderwell opening and put in a K&N drop in filter. I replaced the turbo up pipe to the airbox and ran a 2" flex hose from the opening next to the fog light up to the fenderwell hole. I hear the turbo spooling up faster, the HKS is loud and I'm only sucking cold air into the intake. The total cost for everything was just over $100. IMHO this setup works just as well if not better because I have only cold air going into the intake. The difference is night and day over the restrictive stock set up.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 08 Mar 2004, 09:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 03baggedturbo

My intake has the HKS (mushroom) type filter and is right next to the wheel well opening. I have not done any dyno runs yet (still waiting for a stock test vehicle in so cal.) I will pay for the dyno time...

ADAM
Old 09 Mar 2004, 03:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Blue Streak

Cool. Sounds like it's worth a try. Thanks all for your input!