Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Super Stocker WGA install (long)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2004, 02:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Super Stocker WGA install (long)

Got the Super Stocker Wastegate Actuator (SSWGA) on here's my thoughts of the install and the WGA itself.

The SSWGA naturally is alot heavier than the stock WG, I thought I would have a clearance problem with the oil line to the turbo but I didn't which was good, but I'm getting ahead of myself here. Started by diconnecting the negative cable on the battery and removing the upper intake manifold and putting duct tape over the lower intake manifold so nothing falls in there, which I remember when we installed my stg 1, Kirby and Cal Crusier telling me it would not be a good thing. Put aside the intake manifold and removed my air intake (which I would suggest to give you more room) Now it was time to remove the bolts of the heatshield, some of the bolts seem to be rusted so it was a little difficult to get them loose but once I did it was easy. After wrestling with the heatshield for several minutes I realized I would have to completely remove the bracket in the back that holds the upper intake manifold to get the heatshield out. Decided I didn't want to go that route, so I just moved the heatshield to the side just enough to where I could see the pin that holds the WGA arm.
pic of heatshield and pin:

Removed the stock WG which was easy and took a pic of it next to the SSWGA:

Installed SSWGA, couldn't find how much to torque the bolts for the WG bracket so I just gave it a quarter turn after contact (thanks to Cal Cruiser and brngrhd for also checking for me)
pics SSWGA installed:

Put everything back together then...
I'll finish the part of the test drive (which was an adventure) later, but I need to get to bed.

<edit>
PS I hope the pics will still show on the post tomorrow and not the infamous red x
Old 08 Mar 2004, 01:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

NEW RULES FOR POSTING MODS.

1. GIVE US THE TEST DRIVE RESULTS

2. GO TO BED

3.POST INSTALL INFTRUCTIONS.

Can't wait for the results!
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 08 Mar 2004, 01:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer

NEW RULES FOR POSTING MODS.

1. GIVE US THE TEST DRIVE RESULTS

2. GO TO BED

3.POST INSTALL INFTRUCTIONS.

Can't wait for the results!
4. Where you got it from with a link.

5. Price

Is this the one from turbochargers.com ?

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 08 Mar 2004, 04:43 pm
Young Cruiser

we're waiting...and waiting...and waiting...nice pics...and waiting....
Black 03 PT/GT - Autostick,Stage 1, Mopar BOV, DC rear sway, K&N filter/white baffle out, Magnaflow cat back, Eibach springs, billet strut bar, AMX CAI,3bagged UCP, Euro tail lenses, Revell shifter, misc. do-dads
Old 08 Mar 2004, 05:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Your killin' us here[:0]...how's it run?
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 08 Mar 2004, 06:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sorry this took so long.....

So I'm done installing the WGA and I double check all the vacuum lines and sensors to make sure they are all connected. I pull out of my driveway and the few things I notice instantly, 1. 10-11psi of boost at part throttle so I'm thinking daaammmmnnn!!! 2. the Mopar BOV is sooooooooooo much louder 3. so is the turbo. Me likes!!! now the bad part I decided to see how much boost I can get, mistake no 1. At 4000 rpms I'm at 15psi, tip the gas pedal a little more and it's still climbing....damn thinking to myself did turboshargers.com put in a heavier spring in this thing? no they didn't. So I let off and cruise a bit thinking maybe the PCM needs to learn the new mod....now the part where I hope I didn't F up my engine [xx(] like an idiot, an idiot w/o an A/F or pyrometer gauge I decide to go WOT, mistake no 2. Bad move, boost gauge goes way past the 20 psi mark [:0] if I had to read it, I would say close to 28psi maybe 30 I kid you not, lucky it was an empty road and I was looking at the boost gauge so I let off the gas quickly. I pull over saying to myself, s**t, s**t, f**k. car sounds like it's ready to die like it's not getting enough air. Engine is still on and it's recovering but now I get a stutter at idle. Drove home nice and easy and popped the hood to check everything. I don't have smoke coming out of the exhaust, all connections intact, no fluids leaking. So I had to wait till today to call turbochargers.com. I had my vacuum line connected like stock, talked to Tommy at turbochargers and says I should use a pressure soure off the intake and not use the the line that comes from the no. 2 solenoid. So I'll check my plugs which are probably fouled and if that's all it is (hope and pray) Do you think my engine is toast? It still runs, just stutters at idle, when I accelerate easily I don't feel the engine miss. I won't give this a yay or nay until I check the engine thouroghly and if all is ok. I'll re-route my vacuum lines and do the testing on a dyno.

to answer your ? Triple, yes this is the one from turbochargers.com but I'm sure you got that from reading my adventure. price is as shown on the website $100 + $100 core deposit and $15.00 to ship to Cali.

\'03 Electric Blue GT, silencers removed, K&N intake, Blanes Hood Struts, Emblems removed from rear hatch, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Eibach springs, 18x8 Mille Miglia EV-R on 225/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW 2, Eibach sway kit F&R, BTG Strut Bar, Chrome fuel door, custom 3\" cat-back exhaust with Magnaflow High-flow muffler, Blitz Dual Turbo Timer, Autometer Triple gauge pod, Autometer Ultra-lite with boost/vac, oil press and water temp gauges, Turbochargers.com wastegate, turboxs DSBC, Adams UCP, Dynoworks motor mounts with more to come.....
Old 08 Mar 2004, 07:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

YIKES!!!

[:0]

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 08 Mar 2004, 07:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yikes is right! I want one of these and would have done the same thing. Hope your car is OK and it is just fouled plugs, which probable helped save you. I am most interested on how to resolve this as I think this and an electronic boost controller is the way to go for me instead of Stage II.

2003 Electric Blue GT-30,000 Miles on the clock
Stage 1, Greddy Profec II B. Turbo Chargers Wastegate set to 13#. Forge Motors BOV (Blue of course). Brand AMX Intake/AirCooler Pipes/K&N Cone with Snorkel to Fender well, MSD Coil, Live Wires(Blue of course), Factory rear sway bar, KYB struts and shocks, BTG strut tower brace, Suspension Techniques 1.3\" F/R lowering springs, ATP 3 down pipe with high flow cat, BTG axle back exhaust, Rear Spoiler. Russel Brake Lines/Hawk Brake Pads/Power Slot Cyro Rotors on a four corners

Support Your Right to Arm Bears
Old 08 Mar 2004, 08:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Be sure to check for codes too. You would think that they would have told you about the vacuum hookup a little earlier.
Old 08 Mar 2004, 09:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer

Be sure to check for codes too. You would think that they would have told you about the vacuum hookup a little earlier.
Did check for codes, only got the Stg 1 p0633 code. It didn't come with any instructions but that's my fault I should have called before I installed it, just too excited I guess....live and learn.

\'03 Electric Blue GT, silencers removed, K&N intake, Blanes Hood Struts, Emblems removed from rear hatch, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Eibach springs, 18x8 Mille Miglia EV-R on 225/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW 2, Eibach sway kit F&R, BTG Strut Bar, Chrome fuel door, custom 3\" cat-back exhaust with Magnaflow High-flow muffler, Blitz Dual Turbo Timer, Autometer Triple gauge pod, Autometer Ultra-lite with boost/vac, oil press and water temp gauges, Turbochargers.com wastegate, turboxs DSBC, Adams UCP, Dynoworks motor mounts with more to come.....