Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Testing a variable speed radiator fan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Mar 2013, 07:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Testing a variable speed radiator fan

I have done everything but test my fan. It runs but i was told being a turbo it has variable speed. How can i test it to see if both speeds are working?
Old 22 Mar 2013, 07:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Testing a variable speed radiator fan

There is no "both speeds" on the Turbo models. It's variable speeds controlled by the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module). You could probably test it with the proper scanner but if you saw it running at any speed, it should be OK.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 07:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Its a 2005 convertible I have had problems with it over heating i did everything and i cant figure it out. The only thing i have left is get the reservior replaced it is damaged. I put new t-stat and filled it completely with water and i let it sit for 5 mins in idle and it started to over heat. I tried everything. I put it on code test and nothing comes up. Any suggestion? BTW awesome ride you got.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There's a few different things that cause overheating besides the fan. If the coolant is getting around the engine fast enough, it will overheat. A blocked or partially blocked radiator, bad water pump or thermostat will cause problems. Also if the reservoir is damaged, it could be leaking and letting air in the coolant system. Trapped air will also cause overheating.

Another thing: you said you filled the reservoir with water. You only need to fill it to the cold/hot line, not completely and not with plain water.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 22 Mar 2013 at 07:58 am.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 08:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

My reservior is totally damaged i filled the radiator with water. I will use the orange coolant once i see all is ok with the heating. You do have a point maybe the hose going to reservior is sucking air into the radiator and causing the problem. I have replaced everything else but the reservior. There right you do know ur stuff. Thanks i will try that next getting reservior replaced. Thanks