Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine Oil Dipstick Issue (PT GT 03)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2013, 02:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine Oil Dipstick Issue (PT GT 03)

I've been doing oil changes to my pt since I bought it 3 years ago. The first time I changed the oil I added enough oil to make it to the full line; I NEVER checked engine oil capacity. I was adding about 3 Ltrs every time (4.75 Ltrs = 5 Qtrs) and oil dipstick was on above full line. 3 ltrs should be to little to make it above full line.

*I am not a mechanic but I know how to change oil and check properly. I turned on the engine after oil was added, plug and oil filter were on. Then shut off car, clean oil dipstick and check fluid level.

One time I added 4 Ltrs and car was leaking oil (just few drops) so I drained just a little and no more leaks. I continue adding about 3 Ltrs every time and just as a routine, I used to checked the oil dipstick even though I knew it was not giving proper levels. Always above full line

On my last oil change I DID checked the fluid capacity on the forum and added what others were adding 5 qrts. After about 1 K miles of oil change, the car is leaking oil but this time is a lot. I have no idea how much I have lost since oil dipstick reads more than full line. Due to weather conditions I was only able to make a quick check and oil is everywhere underneath the car. I need to clean everything so I only checked drain plug and filter and that is not leaking. No weird colour smoke is coming. No sign of coolant with oil.
Any suggestions on what should I check? What should I do to solve the dipstick issue?
Old 24 Mar 2013, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Oil Dipstick Issue (PT GT 03)

Hard to understand exactly what's going on the way you describe it.

Your adding ONLY 3 Ltrs after an oil land filter change?? You said yourself, 4.75 Lts = 5 Qts. and that's what the 2.4 Ltr engine needs.

Tell us, what size is your engine?? Are you overseas with the 2.0 Ltr engine? What does the owners manual say about the capacity of whatever your engine is?

I've never heard of someone's dipstick being wrong unless the engine was rebuilt and the stick was replaced by the wrong kind.

Last question; are you doing any kind of measuring of the oil that's drained when you do a change? if you not getting it all out because maybe some sort of blockage, you WILL overfill it when you put new oil in.
Old 24 Mar 2013, 06:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Is it possible that somehow you're not draining all the oil from the pan and some is remaining? If it only takes 3 Ltrs to get it back to the "full" line on the dip stick, something is off somewhere. If your engine is not a 2,4 then don't go by what you read on this forum. Go by what your owners manual says is the proper amount of oil.

Edit: I see you had said your Cruiser is an '03 GT. I don't know what's going on but as far as I know, 5 quarts is the correct fill. There are thoughts flashing through my mind about damaged oil pan, dip stick tube damaged or lose, switching dip sticks with auto trans stick, non OEM/stock parts or stick (should be the one with the yellow t-handle). It does sound like it's being over filled at 5 quarts for some strange reason.

Last edited by 2step; 24 Mar 2013 at 06:31 pm.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 10:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You are changing the filter, too, aren't you?
Agree with the others.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Mar 2013, 11:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Hard to understand exactly what's going on the way you describe it.

Your adding ONLY 3 Ltrs after an oil land filter change?? You said yourself, 4.75 Lts = 5 Qts. and that's what the 2.4 Ltr engine needs.

Tell us, what size is your engine?? Are you overseas with the 2.0 Ltr engine? What does the owners manual say about the capacity of whatever your engine is?

I've never heard of someone's dipstick being wrong unless the engine was rebuilt and the stick was replaced by the wrong kind.

Last question; are you doing any kind of measuring of the oil that's drained when you do a change? if you not getting it all out because maybe some sort of blockage, you WILL overfill it when you put new oil in.
Apologies if I did not make myself clear
- 2.4 Ltrs engine.
- I was adding only 3 ltrs every oil change. The statement I put 4.7 Ltrs =5 Qts was just to give an idea of how much I was actually putting for people who easily forget conversions like I do.
-last oil change was the first and only time I added 4.7 ltrs instead of only 3. Thats were the leaking started
-i never measured the oil that has been drained.

It makes a lot of sense that smtg might be blocking. I am not sure how would I check for blockage...
Thanks for your help
Old 26 Mar 2013, 11:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone for the ideas... So far the idea of a blockage explains a lot...
Any ideas on how to check for blockage? I will remove the oil pan to check integrity of the component... What can I do while pan is off to check for blockage?

Thanks in advance...
Old 26 Mar 2013, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It wouldn't be the oil pan, unless it's built up with sludge so much that it won't hold the 4.7ltrs. Saying that, if there is any sludge build-up, then you can be sure there's clogged oil ports and drain holes throughout the engine which would stop old oil from draining out.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 12:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

And if there's sludge in the oil pan, chances are the turbo is shot or will soon be shot -
Using synthetic oil? You should with a turbo...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Tags
oil dipstick, oil leak