PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I need serious help! Oil in PCM and wiring harness!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2step

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2013, 02:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default I need serious help! Oil in PCM and wiring harness!

Where to start??? The beginning..August 3, 2012: check engine light on, car is sluggish while going uphill. Take to mechanic. Reads P0551-power steering and P0552-oil sensor low. replaced oil sensor and was told the power steering code didnt need replaced right away.August 25, 2012: check engine light back on. read P0551-power steering. Told not to worry.Drive it for a few months with no real issues.November 3, 2012: take it to different mechanic because car is really struggling uphill and occasionally will start to completely lose all power. I put foot on gas and nothing happens. Codes read P0038 1/2 o2 sensor, P0032 1/1 o2 sensor and P0202 fuel injector #2. Repairs done were the following Spark plug set, air filter, ignition wire set and valve cover set.December 20, 2012: about 2 weeks after the above repairs same problems occuring. Car has completely died at stops, sputtering, terrible idle. I take to another mech. codes read were P0038, P0032, P0508, P0300, P0551. o2 sensor replaced.December 31, 2012: friend replaces cam sensor and power steering sensor.March 10, 2013: still running like crap..we now have found oil in PCM!! Mechanic cleaned it and said everything should be fine...but guess what? 2 days later. Same issues. March 11 2013: Finally broke down and took to dealer for a complete diagnostic. Pay the 120.00 diagnostic fee and all they tell me is there is oil in PCM! I told them that!! they cleaned out pcm and sent me on my way saying everything is working great.NO GO!!! took back to dealer on March 26, 2013 and now they want 3900.00 to replace wiring harness and PCM. I obviously can not afford that and I still owe too much on my loan to trade in. WHAT DO I DO?? Can someone give me any suggestions on how to repair for less? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks so much,Wendy
Old 06 Apr 2013, 07:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: I need serious help! Oil in PCM and wiring harness!

How is oil getting into your PCM? There must be a lot of oil leaking somewhere for this to happen. Stop the leak and clean up the engine compartment is my suggestion.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 06 Apr 2013, 10:13 am
Senior Cruiser

This is not a common problem but it is also not an unknown one, either. The cause seems to be a leaking oil pressure sensor. The wire harness is wrapped and/or sealed in a protective tube and the oil wicks along by capillary action and may also actually be pushed up and into the PCM (computer). I suggest, first, that the oil sender be replaced and the harness be inspected for any other oil intrusion. Second, a section or two of the protective outer wrap of the harness should be removed down below the PCM to create a gap which will prevent the wrap from being a continuous oil pipeline. Dealers like to just throw new parts at problems but that's usually the most expensive answer. If the dealer won't attempt to fix the cause of the problem and save the original harness, find an independent mechanic who will. There's obviously no special magic at this dealer so there's no reason to stick with them.

I web searched and found a few mentions of this same problem......

Found motor oil inside computer pt cruiser 2001__ - JustAnswer

c230 engine harness oil - issue - MBWorld.org Forums

www.neons.org • View topic - oil on pcm wire harness

Good luck. I hope you get this all sorted out quickly and cheaply.
Ray_Dockrey likes this.
Old 07 Apr 2013, 01:28 am
Senior Cruiser

I've been thinking more about this and it may be likely that the single wire from the leaking oil pressure sensor (sender) may be carrying the oil under pressure all the way to the PCM like a straw. Replacing the faulty sensor is the main cure. But for good measure, I would cut the wire somewhere and splice in a male/female plug or simply solder a splice to create a spot where the sensor signal could pass but the oil couldn't. You might not even need to do that extra step because with the new, proper working sensor there will be no more oil.
Old 07 Apr 2013, 01:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndhee View Post
took back to dealer on March 26, 2013 and now they want 3900.00 to replace wiring harness and PCM.
My only suggestion is NOT take it to a dealer

Tags
oil, pcm, wiring harness