PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Are there any factory plastic turbo intakes?

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2013, 04:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to overhead440
Default Are there any factory plastic turbo intakes?

I have a 2005 Pt with a 2.4 Turbo auto tranny. I have been fighting a 2074 trouble code and it is at the dealer presently. They are saying that there was no such thing as a plastic intake for a turbo model yet that`s what is on this car. it has the throttle body turned the additional to accommidate the turbo feed hose as necessary. So does anyone know about this type of intake? I would really love to hear about these...
Brian
Old 04 May 2013, 05:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Are there any factory plastic turbo intakes?

2005 at some point got the plastic intake for the Turbo(it is different manifold than the NA base 2.4 manifold). The plastic manifold was used on all turbos until the end in 2008.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 04 May 2013, 08:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhead440 View Post
I have a 2005 Pt with a 2.4 Turbo auto tranny. I have been fighting a 2074 trouble code and it is at the dealer presently. They are saying that there was no such thing as a plastic intake for a turbo model yet that`s what is on this car. it has the throttle body turned the additional to accommidate the turbo feed hose as necessary. So does anyone know about this type of intake? I would really love to hear about these...
Brian
Wonder what else they don't know! 05 and up. Just another reason to get all your work done at the dealer!
mole likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 May 2013, 06:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Actually I think they may have switched late 04 to the plastic, but all the parts manuals show just show the aluminum manifold, so maybe the parts guy doesnt know.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 05 May 2013, 06:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
Actually I think they may have switched late 04 to the plastic, but all the parts manuals show just show the aluminum manifold, so maybe the parts guy doesnt know.
It appears that he thought that there was no plastic intake ever.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 May 2013, 01:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
They are saying that there was no such thing as a plastic intake for a turbo model yet that`s what is on this car.
If you are seeing what I think you are saying you are seeing, you're seeing right. It should be a plastic intake mani, sometimes call a "composite" mani. You are also right that the turbo intake has a little more length and curve in the gooseneck right after the TB than the non-turbo does. That to produce a bit more torque down low.

The aluminum intake mani on the '03 and '04 Gt turbos was just a stop-gap measure until the composite was developed. I don't know why they would even still sell the aluminum ones. The plastic/composite intake is more perfectly balanced between each of the 4 runners than the aluminum one which is off by about 10% in flow from #1 to #4 runner. The composite also bumped the HP up another 8+ hp over the aluminum one. And don't let the word plastic scare you. The manifold is designed to take over 100++ PSI.
Old 11 May 2013, 01:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
i test drove a 05 PtGT auto with a metal ITM setup. car was all stock so i doubt they swapped it

2004 SRT-4 built
2005 SRT-4 mole' 16g bws setup. 380hp 444tq 11.7@122 100% stock motor/head/axles. Dsp tuned.
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege stock
2004 PtGT Atx BWS SETUP and a few bolt ons. stay tuned for dyno #s
Contact me for all your BWS/DCR needs..........
Old 11 May 2013, 01:22 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
If you are seeing what I think you are saying you are seeing, you're seeing right. It should be a plastic intake mani, sometimes call a "composite" mani. You are also right that the turbo intake has a little more length and curve in the gooseneck right after the TB than the non-turbo does. That to produce a bit more torque down low.

The aluminum intake mani on the '03 and '04 Gt turbos was just a stop-gap measure until the composite was developed. I don't know why they would even still sell the aluminum ones. The plastic/composite intake is more perfectly balanced between each of the 4 runners than the aluminum one which is off by about 10% in flow from #1 to #4 runner. The composite also bumped the HP up another 8+ hp over the aluminum one. And don't let the word plastic scare you. The manifold is designed to take over 100++ PSI.

im not saying your wrong at all but has anyone done a before and after dyno of the metal to plastic ITM to see these gains? where did that 8+hp gain come from?
Busted_PT likes this.

2004 SRT-4 built
2005 SRT-4 mole' 16g bws setup. 380hp 444tq 11.7@122 100% stock motor/head/axles. Dsp tuned.
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege stock
2004 PtGT Atx BWS SETUP and a few bolt ons. stay tuned for dyno #s
Contact me for all your BWS/DCR needs..........
Old 11 May 2013, 10:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
im not saying your wrong at all but has anyone done a before and after dyno of the metal to plastic ITM to see these gains? where did that 8+hp gain come from?
No. Nobody has done a dyno back to back compare. But the assumption is made because of the 10 advertised HP bump between the 220hp '04 and 230hp '05 with the intake being the only change in equipment. The info about the poor, out of balance air charge flow of the aluminum mani from runner to runner comes right from the horses mouth, one of the engineers who developed the composite intake. He was a Cruiser owner (turbo) and a member of the PTCrew forum and was a frequent contributor there. The more perfect air charge balance easily accounts for some increased power. I don't know if there were any tuning tweaks to take advantage of the "better" intake but if there were it would still be BECAUSE of the intake.

In '05, some of the early production models still got the aluminum intake. I recall something about the '05 convertibles coming out early and that may have something to do with it. But I don't remember the exact details or if any early hard tops had aluminum.

Having been a Cruiser owner for over 10 years I've seen a lot of subtle changes happen. Things like sway bars, disk brake options, glass tints, back hatch latches, mirrors, upholstery, etc. came , went or changed.
Old 11 May 2013, 07:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There were other changes that probably were not noticeable to the eye. The Turbo light is the same as the GT. With the exception of the computer. A stage 1 will produce the same HP on the lite as the GT. So rather than the intake I would put my money on the tune rather than the intake that actually mikes out slightly smaller on the throttle body side. Other than the injectors in 03 all the HP gains have there Origen's in they computer.Just my 2 cents.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com