PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

"PCM reset" worked (thanks, IRPT) for me...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2004, 04:09 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default "PCM reset" worked (thanks, IRPT) for me...

inasmuch as I noticed "more ZIP"--espcially at higher RPMs--when my GT was at full-throttle. [8)]
I recently removed the upper white silencer and cleaned any oil residue (there wasn't much) from my stock airbox. My car now has over 5400 miles on it, the engine is completely broken-in, and I previously had installed a BTG straight-throuht axle-back exhaust and K&N drop-in performance air filter. I had NEVER before disconnected the battery to allow the PCM to "reprogram itself" to these MODS as it was my understanding this would be done "automatically" in the course of driving. However, this time I did exactly that: disconnected both battery terminals for one hour and also turned on the ignition switch to the start position for a minute in order to insure the PCM got a "good reset". The bottom line is that I did notice a slight performance improvement. The [u]engine runs flawlessly</u>--very hard to keep the car under 80MPH because it "just wants to GO!!!" .

I'm not sure what to attribute this to except the "PCM reset" which in turn made some modifications to the fuel/air/shift points/ETC. settings... [:I]...who knows?, MAYBE, it was due to the "hotter flames" recently painted on the airbox! Anyway, I am pleased with the results.

Before:

AFTER:

[8D] [^] [?]
Old 18 Mar 2004, 05:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

It's because your clock is now one hour behind and the car is trying to catch up. Adjust your clock to the proper time and all will be as it was before.[^][8)]
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 18 Mar 2004, 05:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

What would happen if I did this to a Stage 1 equipped car? Let's say I put in a new hi-flow intake.....should I disconnect the battery for a period of time to reset a Stage 1 PCM? If so, would I then have to go through the whole tranny quick learn again?

And along that line, is it possible for a dealer to screw up my Stage 1 PCM if they don't realize what it is?????
Old 18 Mar 2004, 05:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Is there not a fuse that you can pull to recent the PCM? In the neons you can pull the fuel pump fuse for a minute and it will reset the computer w/o fizucking up your clock and radio presets. There has to be an easier way!

AC
Old 18 Mar 2004, 08:02 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Gary, your new flames look great! That had to add at least 6 HP.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 18 Mar 2004, 08:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

There is a fuse, but it only depressurizes the fuel lines.
Sure there is, but accessing the box is a pain in the butt as it sits behind and below the airbox.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html