Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
electrical problem the mechanics can't seem to fix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2013, 09:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default electrical problem the mechanics can't seem to fix

I just bought a 2009 Turbo PT, automatic, about a month ago. Loved the car. It's fast and very pretty with a great sound system. However within a week of getting it, it developed an odd electrical (?) that the dealer's mechanics can't seem to fix. Here's the story.

At first when I turned on cruise control all the warning lights would flash and the car would jerk and then go back to normal. I thought it was a fluke as it is was a new for me car from a reputable dealer. Then several days later, it began to do the same thing without cruise control but often when I hit a bumpy patch on the road. After a few more minutes of driving, the car started going through a cycle of warning lights flash, all gauges drop to zero (gas, temp, rpms), the car jerks and then it cycles through this again for 6 or 7 times and then the motor shuts off. I can be driving down the highway when this cycling happens and I will lose all power. I pull over, turn the car off, restart it immediately and no problems for a few more days to a week. I've taken it back to the dealer twice. They are no malfunction codes. They can't find any problem. They drive it around on highways, over bumpy roads. Nothing. They reset the computers. Give the car back to me till it does it again. Same story. I've had the car in twice with the last time agreeing that the second it begins to act up again, I'm to bring it in with no appointment. Since then it acted up once at night of course. I don't even see the point of taking it in as once I restart the car, everything is fine. The mechanic says it can be fixed. They just have to see the malfunction happen.

I'm really getting frustrated to the point that I would like to return the car, but I'll lose money on a trade in. I don't feel safe driving the car. Does anyone know what might be causing the problem? Or is my best bet to take the car in every couple of days and hope to get it declared a lemon? It's really a shame to do that.
Old 04 Aug 2013, 10:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: electrical problem the mechanics can't seem to fix

Have they checked the wiring harness for the camshaft position sensor some times the wiring gets in between the HOT radiator hoses,and causes the insulation to breakdown causing a reduction in resitstance,and sometimes even a short....Have them check the wiring for the crankshaft position sensor,and while they're at it also check the wiring for the crankshaft position sensor it sometimes gets worn away by the driveaxle touching(and rubbing) on it(Important: needs to be checked from end-to-end,especially around the backside of the engine!).....and with either one when you hit a bump,or sometimes even turning it can cause a brief crossing of the wiring because of a bare spot somewhere along the length of either wiring harness......But,most of the time this will cause the OBD system to throw at least some error code?(Like P0340 or P0320 for instance.)

Last edited by randyincctx; 04 Aug 2013 at 10:53 pm.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 11:56 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: electrical problem the mechanics can't seem to fix

Sounds like a main power source is shorting since all the gauges are going to zero incluidding your speedometer, check your battery cables and terminals on top of the battery and the battery ground ground wire to frame. Find a schematic that shows all of the ground wire locations on the engine and body and make sure they're all tight.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 12:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: electrical problem the mechanics can't seem to fix

My daughter's 06 did this right after we got it. The negative cable was a little loose but also the hold down was missing so the battery was bouncing around in the tray. It never showed any error codes.

I too would start with the battery and check the cables. i would also have the battery checked to make sure its good. There is always a chance it could have some kind of internal problem.

Tags
electrical problems