Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 GT Turbo upgrade ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2013, 09:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 GT Turbo upgrade ?

I bought a 03 gt turbo automatic tranny for my Daughter. Me and my Daughter drag race. She has a jr dragster and jr comp dragster. She will be running her pt in vegas for the et finals at the on of the mounth.

I started doing looking into these cars and am finding a lot.

I only want to do a few things. What is the best plastic intake to look for. I have spoted a few pts in the junk yard.

I was looking at gte stage 1 chip

Has any one hooked up a shift light

Thanks for any info Ray
Old 05 Sep 2013, 10:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 03 GT Turbo upgrade ?

don't use a chip. Get the Diablo intune or a stage 1 pcm and injectors. Or both. Take the muffler off and run a striaght pipe to a tip. Do the air box mod with a drop in K&N filter. All that should work very well for you. I am running The Diablo Predator with Stage 2 injectors and Muffler delete and Air box mod and I love it. I am yet to get to the track with this set up. I am going to get a wideband before I do anymore. Good luck and welcome to the forum. As for a shift light you really don't need it. Just take off the trac control and put the auto stick in 1 and hit the gas. It will up shift by itself.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH

Last edited by needmoretoys; 06 Sep 2013 at 03:34 am.
Old 05 Sep 2013, 10:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollender View Post
I bought a 03 gt turbo automatic tranny for my Daughter. Me and my Daughter drag race. She has a jr dragster and jr comp dragster. She will be running her pt in vegas for the et finals at the on of the mounth.

I started doing looking into these cars and am finding a lot.

I only want to do a few things. What is the best plastic intake to look for. I have spoted a few pts in the junk yard.

I was looking at gte stage 1 chip

Has any one hooked up a shift light

Thanks for any info Ray
The aluminum intake is better for the track. and can be ported. Plastic, well there is only one for the turbo. The n/a is different. But no HP gain for this. Check out NitroPT project thread. It's huge but the intake questions are answered there. Along with some head mods and custom intake, as well as custom cam grinds. A must see for you.

Nitro's PT Cruiser

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Sep 2013, 10:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Having tested both types I recomend an aluminum intake for racing. There is nothing performance about the plastic intake. Never was!
IMO Stay with the stock exhaust system or a carefully planned one.
If you run CATless and or no muffler you will go slower in the 1/4 with the Turbo PT as you are suggestion and planning on modding it. You will notice the slower ET in the 60ft and 1/8 mile times and speeds both resulting in a slower 1/4 trap and ET. Both require more consideration to actually work well and make power rather then rob it.

Shift lights are easy to hook up right off the back of the OBDII connector.
I would recommend a nice bright adjustable shift light for what your are going to be doing. Set it at 5300 to start out with and work up from there until you can shift before the rev limit kicks in. That way your runs will be more consistent.
If you auto shift or without a shift light you probably will not as well and consistent runs in the ET brackets.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 05 Sep 2013 at 10:50 pm.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 12:11 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Have you tested with and without the muffler? If so was there much of a difference? Is it a stock muffler that your talking about? Just curious. I can't see going faster with a stock restrictive muffler compared to straight pipe. I am running a cat in mine but no muffler.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 06 Sep 2013, 01:40 am
Banned

Not to mention some Ricey mods too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The aluminum intake is better for the track. and can be ported. Plastic, well there is only one for the turbo. The n/a is different. But no HP gain for this. Check out NitroPT project thread. It's huge but the intake questions are answered there. Along with some head mods and custom intake, as well as custom cam grinds. A must see for you.

Nitro's PT Cruiser
Old 06 Sep 2013, 07:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
Have you tested with and without the muffler? If so was there much of a difference? Is it a stock muffler that your talking about? Just curious. I can't see going faster with a stock restrictive muffler compared to straight pipe. I am running a cat in mine but no muffler.
Nitro can explain in more tech terms but, it's about volatility. Back in the day I ran a bunch of Toyota celica's. The muffler would fall off every year after the first one. Every time it did I lost power. Not enough back pressure.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Sep 2013, 11:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
In this thread we are talking about running the 1/4 mile with pretty much a stock engine. If you do as you described the lower end will suffer and the ET's and MPH will be slower.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Sep 2013, 02:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to mole

Welcome

the PT cruiser has a few different options for an upgraded turbo.

modded stocker/my 16g BWS setup
mopar s3 setup
big turbo setup.

2004 SRT-4 built
2005 SRT-4 mole' 16g bws setup. 380hp 444tq 11.7@122 100% stock motor/head/axles. Dsp tuned.
2003.5 MazdaSPEED Protege stock
2004 PtGT Atx BWS SETUP and a few bolt ons. stay tuned for dyno #s
Contact me for all your BWS/DCR needs..........
Old 12 Sep 2013, 09:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Nitro can explain in more tech terms but, it's about volatility. Back in the day I ran a bunch of Toyota celica's. The muffler would fall off every year after the first one. Every time it did I lost power. Not enough back pressure.
Turbo supplies back pressure. Your celicas weren't turbo, right?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles