Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
intercooler sprayer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Mar 2004, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default intercooler sprayer

do intercooler sprayers really help? im thinking of building one for my PT.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 01:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you can carry enough water to keep spraying all the time it does. If you are thinking of just flipping it on for a stoplight grand prix, it doesn't. Because the intercooler is a heatsink, it takes time for it to cool by evaporation. By the time the temp is down the run it over. So, they do work, they just don't instantly drop the temps on demand.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 29 Mar 2004, 01:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

This is asuming you are talking of a N2O sprayer

They realy work!!! (in other cars)

In our car... well, read my post and you decide...

Our car will decrease boost if it feels the air too dense (Cooler air is Denser than warmer), at least that is the theory with our MAP controlled engines. If you get an aftermarket boost controller, it should give you the best increase in HP. It can also give you very consistent HP numbers and 1/4 mile passes if you use it before you start the pass or the run.. I want to install one in my car and see if Stage I will do the same thing...

My educated guess: if used in small bursts, the PCM will tolerate it and won't decrease boost, increasing HP up to a point. I have heard stories of the N2O gas being sucked by the intake and, Although not as powerfull as in its liquid form, improve some HP numbers. This and the Cooling effect should be interesting.

My "supra" friends uses it in two ways:
1. One shot before at the Pre-stage line to cool the IC before the start of the race

2. another shot at the 1/8 mile and letting it on, all the way to the 1/4 mile mark, increasing top end HP.

That is how i would like to try it. But for now there are other things in my list before the NX IC sprayer.

Another thing, IC sprayers suck dry the 10 pound bottle in a few passes (three to four passes tops). at $4.00 per pound, it can be a little expensive in the long run.

This will be a nice post to follow because there are two different schools in this matter.

Ian
Old 29 Mar 2004, 02:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If talking about a water sprayer,

cal is correct!

here are more negatives in the list to add.

For it to be efficient, you need to spray a mist as fine as possible.

Like a famous PT owner said (Sakigt): most race tracks (if not all) won't let you race with it because it is droping water on the track creating an unsafe environment...
Old 29 Mar 2004, 02:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ian-PT-GT

If talking about a water sprayer,

cal is correct!

here are more negatives in the list to add.

For it to be efficient, you need to spray a mist as fine as possible.

Like a famous PT owner said (Sakigt): most race tracks (if not all) won't let you race with it because it is droping water on the track creating an unsafe environment...
Yup, a no-no at most tracks. I imagine that the N2O sprayers are much more efficient due to the extreme low temp of the compressed gas.

'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 29 Mar 2004, 03:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer

I imagine that the N2O sprayers are much more efficient due to the extreme low temp of the compressed gas.

You are correct. I have "frostbited" myself with the extreme cold blast of N2O. It is about -160 degrees in it's liquid state. when it contacts with air it freezes anything it touches... I know first hand. and have the scar to prove it[}]

It will decrease the intake charge dramaticaly. you can actually see the IC turning white when it gets hit with the N2O. but like I said before, we won't see it working at it's peak performance because the PCM will decrease Boost...

If you can keep the same boost up even with the IC sprayer working, HP will bump up considerably.

Fun story with N2O (Well, fun for me... not the owner):

A WRX friend of mine decided to take this to a next level and placed a N2O foger pointing toward the Turbo inlet thinking it will cool down the compressor Impeller, air charge and get some extra N2O inside the engine.... Talk about a greanade exploding[] Try to cool down a metal mass spining in excess of 80,000 RPMs that it is over 300 Degress hot with a -160 Degrees gas...
no need to say, the car is still in the shop being rebuilt
Old 29 Mar 2004, 06:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Ouch![xx(]
Old 29 Mar 2004, 10:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

you have to put it after the turbo i would be fun to see what would happen if you put it in the pipe that goes from the turbo to the ic[8)]
Old 30 Mar 2004, 09:45 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brngrhd

it would be fun to see what would happen if you put it in the pipe that goes from the turbo to the ic[8)]
I have seen this done but with two Methanol injectors after the turbo to cool down the charge!!! (Team AEM Honda)

If you place the N2O injector before the IC, you will cool down the pipe but N2O is most effective in it is liquid form. That is the reason that you place it as close as possible to the throttle body.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 02:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to dfunkdj

What about that new co2 cryo cool thing that you put inline right before the throttle body?? Has anyone tried it yet ???

Don
Stage 1, Greddy blow off valve, AGP WGA, Custom open dual exhaust, Denso plugs, Xtremeboost upcharge pipe, AMX intake pipe, Ramair hoods hood, Apc ground effects kit, lowerd 3\", Turbo xs MBC, auto meter double gauge pod, and 2 more gauge mountd on sterring wheel {oil psi and temp, boost, water temp}
apc 2nd gen tail lights, more to come soon
Tampabay Pt Cruisers</b></font id=\"orange\">