PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
my opion of my new intake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2004, 09:35 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to tthrift
Default my opion of my new intake

I received my new intake system from Adam (03baggedturbo) about a week ago and I have been running the living sh** out of the car to see how it does. So far I am very pleased the system is made with the highest quality and workmanship, just like any large manufacture would make. The HP gain is very strong at least by the seat of my pants, and I believe Adam's dyno sheet of 30hp gain is very accurate. You really can feel a difference. It did take me two times to install it and be happy with my installation (nothing wrong with the pipes just my way of installing them needed some adjustment) it took me about an hour the first time to install it and 30min the second time.

I truly believe that this is the first product that has been offered to us that is hand made and really works.

I would be proud to have this set-up in my show room and would sell to my customers with no worries.

Again this is my own option and I am not taking anything away from any other intake system, I have had a lot of different systems just like the rest of us but I think I will be keeping this one for a while.

Thanks Tommy
Old 31 Mar 2004, 10:25 am
Cool Cruiser

Do you have a boost gauge in your car? Is the boost going higher?
Old 31 Mar 2004, 12:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

yes i do have a boost gauge in my car and before i installed the pipes i could only boost to 10 & 11 lbs of boost and after i installed the pipes i can boost to 15 & 16lbs now.

i hadn't been able to boost that high since last summer.

thanks tommy
Old 31 Mar 2004, 12:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Does one need a boast gauge to have one of these intakes? Not only does it appear to add a few horses, it looks great and would make a beautiful addition to the engine bay.[?]
Old 31 Mar 2004, 01:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tthrift

yes i do have a boost gauge in my car and before i installed the pipes i could only boost to 10 & 11 lbs of boost and after i installed the pipes i can boost to 15 & 16lbs now.

thanks tommy
This is the answer I have been looking for. 5 - 6 lbs of boost will easily convert into 30whp. But it's not the pipes that give you the HP, like everyone is saying, it's the increase in boost. In other words, it's not additive.

People are thinking that adding the pipes will give 30HP, and stage II will give them another 30HP, and that is just not true. Stage II is going to give you your power by allowing more boost, but if you're already getting more boost, then adding stage II won't give you the gains you are thinking you will see.

And to answer another question....anytime you increase your boost above factory levels, or without factory equipment (or even with factory equipment, IMO), you should have a boost gauge so you can track it. Good lord, what if your car is spiking to 20psi or something? You could be taxing your fuel system, your turbo, or your combustion chamber without even knowing it. A boost gauge should be one of your very first mods.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 01:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

I truly doubt an intake could make the car gain 30 HP.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING before the turbo is constantly monitored by the PCM and corrected back to stock levels.
Patriot Blue 5-Spd, Stage I, Mopar BOV, BTG Intake, Custom 3\" Turbo-Back, Spring Mod, BTG Shock Tower Brace, Vogtland Springs, Koni Shocks, Eibach Sway Bars, Azev Type M 18x8.5 wheels, Ventus K104 tires, Projector Bi-Xenon Lights, Rear spoiler, Autometer Gauges, Illuminated sill plates, K&N Oil Filter, Mopar subwoofer. Mexico City. See pics: http://www.sportcarsforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=715
Old 31 Mar 2004, 01:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MEXICANPT

I truly doubt an intake could make the car gain 30 HP.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING before the turbo is constantly monitored by the PCM and corrected back to stock levels.
Both people who have tested this pipe have the Stage 1 PCM. Perhaps it is more forgiving in terms of increasing boost...or maybe there's some other reason. I don't have all the facts, so I don't know.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 06:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm buying the up pipe only . I have boost/ air fuel mix/fuel pressure to monitor but no stage . I won't be dynoing.

\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 31 Mar 2004, 07:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crazyjoe

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tthrift

thanks tommy
This is the answer I have been looking for. 5 - 6 lbs of boost will easily convert into 30whp. But it's not the pipes that give you the HP, like everyone is saying, it's the increase in boost. In other words, it's not additive.

People are thinking that adding the pipes will give 30HP, and stage II will give them another 30HP, and that is just not true. Stage II is going to give you your power by allowing more boost, but if you're already getting more boost, then adding stage II won't give you the gains you are thinking you will see.

And to answer another question....anytime you increase your boost above factory levels, or without factory equipment (or even with factory equipment, IMO), you should have a boost gauge so you can track it. Good lord, what if your car is spiking to 20psi or something? You could be taxing your fuel system, your turbo, or your combustion chamber without even knowing it. A boost gauge should be one of your very first mods.

hey crazyjoe, I am only spiking 15 & 16lbs of boost and falling back to 10 & 11lbs of boost.Remember i was spiking 15 & 16 lbs last summer then it just went away. I don't beleive the spike will reflect on a dyno b/c you are pulling WOT and the spike has gone back down to 10 & 11lbs way before you dyno run is over.I still think the power gain is in the pipe set-up.

thanks tommy
Old 31 Mar 2004, 10:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I hope I dont start another "Pipes" discussion, But my personal opinion is that the HP improvement is because the turbo has to work less to reach the desired boost, thus, improving turbo eficiency and cooler air charge.

Ian