Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is it true?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2004, 03:05 am
Young Cruiser

Default Is it true?

Will anything that ya do before the Turbo as far as upgrades will be taken back to stock by the stock PCM?
Old 01 Apr 2004, 04:29 am
Cool Cruiser

That's what our good friend 3Bar told us on more than one ocassion, I can't vouch for that, but I can tell you this:

I had a BTG intake and I felt the car performed better, then one day 3Bar told us about this and some other guy told me the same thing, so I went to the 1/4 mile track with my BTG as I've always done.

Only this time I had my OEM intake in the trunk along with a K&N replacement element, I made a couple of passes and the car ran its usual times, then I switched intakes and reset the PCM, guess what?

Exact same time over and over again, and none of that "whale in the hood" sound intakes make every time you lift the gas pedal.

This is my opinion and my experience, I'm not saying I have the truth in my hands, in fact I'm very interested in hearing what people have to say about this one.
Patriot Blue 5-Spd, Stage I, Mopar BOV, BTG Intake, Custom 3\" Turbo-Back, Spring Mod, BTG Shock Tower Brace, Vogtland Springs, Koni Shocks, Eibach Sway Bars, Azev Type M 18x8.5 wheels, Ventus K104 tires, Projector Bi-Xenon Lights, Rear spoiler, Autometer Gauges, Illuminated sill plates, K&N Oil Filter, Mopar subwoofer. Mexico City. See pics: http://www.sportcarsforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=715
Old 01 Apr 2004, 07:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Exactly why I haven't purchsed a new intake. Seat-of-the-pants feelings and even improved dyno numbers do not always equate to improved track times. My advice is to believe what 3Barboost previously stated...so save the $$$ you'd spend on an intake and use it for a down payment on S1 or S2.

Deen

Old 01 Apr 2004, 04:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hyracer

Exactly why I haven't purchsed a new intake. Seat-of-the-pants feelings and even improved dyno numbers do not always equate to improved track times. My advice is to believe what 3Barboost previously stated...so save the $$$ you'd spend on an intake and use it for a down payment on S1 or S2.

Deen

3bar specifically stated the PCM will correct for any mods before the Turbo, he went on to say the best performance bang for the buck is a better, freer flowing exhaust, the stock PCM can not correct for that.

Of course Stage 1 or 2 can't hurt.(maybe just the wallet.)

Old 02 Apr 2004, 12:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have been reading the forum for a few weeks now, and now I have joined, because the things you say are not true, I have had an intake on my GT for over a year and I have never gone back to the boost from before I put it on. my boost with a boost controller is 17 all the time 1/2 throttle or wot it still reads 16, I have about 70 runs at the local drag strip and before the intake 15.80s at 84mph 12 runs then the intake 15.40 at 87 ten runs, now add the boost controller set at 17 and I have over 40 runs 14.65 at 95mph and it has never gone back to stock. and I don't get an engine code either.
Old 02 Apr 2004, 05:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

So with the computer correcting for everthing that you do before the turbo, my new Keystone dual scoop hood is just for show? That kinda sucks...

At least it'll look cool...

Hardsuit
Old 02 Apr 2004, 11:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GT blue

I have been reading the forum for a few weeks now, and now I have joined, because the things you say are not true, I have had an intake on my GT for over a year and I have never gone back to the boost from before I put it on. my boost with a boost controller is 17 all the time 1/2 throttle or wot it still reads 16, I have about 70 runs at the local drag strip and before the intake 15.80s at 84mph 12 runs then the intake 15.40 at 87 ten runs, now add the boost controller set at 17 and I have over 40 runs 14.65 at 95mph and it has never gone back to stock. and I don't get an engine code either.
A boost controller will override the PCM, since it takes control of the wastegate away from it. Anything else you do to increase boost, however, should be compensated for by the PCM.
Old 02 Apr 2004, 05:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to dfunkdj

Hey GT Blue
Which Boost controler are you using ??????

Don
Stage 1, Greddy blow off valve, AGP WGA, Custom open dual exhaust, Denso plugs, Xtremeboost upcharge pipe, AMX intake pipe, Ramair hoods hood, Apc ground effects kit, lowerd 3\", Turbo xs MBC, auto meter double gauge pod, and 2 more gauge mountd on sterring wheel {oil psi and temp, boost, water temp}
apc 2nd gen tail lights, more to come soon
Tampabay Pt Cruisers</b></font id=\"orange\">
Old 02 Apr 2004, 05:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

boost controller is a core, manal, reading taken from the back of the intake manifold. I also use the amx mod of removing the tip line and turn off the trac control. yes I have the brand X intake and it is better than sliced bread, I mean this thing really works
Old 02 Apr 2004, 07:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Just reset the darn thing before you race...problem solved

14.67 @ 94.5 &lt;--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!