Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
big electrical problem.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Nov 2013, 01:01 am
Young Cruiser

Default big electrical problem.

i havnt even had time to post anything but help threads since ive signed up.
but if you could help me with whats going on once more itd be great. car was running perfect this morning, not a problem. I wired my foglights through a 4 plug relay, grounded to the body and both of the positive wires ran from the headlight power wire.

as I drove it tonight I came to a stop and the headlights shut off. tried turning them on and off a couple times and they started flashing. went to limp mode I believe and died, threw some cel codes that were unrelated. i disconnected the battery, and it ran good. took it around the block and it repeated. disconnected battery again, but before i did the gas gauge jumped from an 1/8th to full now and threw cels at the same time while my lights were freaking out. now after resetting the pcm again the cels are still on, limp mode keeps coming and going, and now only the driver side fog and headlight work. which is weird considering i had only the driver side headlight wired in and the fog is inline with the other. so what is causing all of this?
is it the pcm, or is there another ecu or maybe the tpim? im really confused.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 07:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: big electrical problem.

You never did introduce yourself and tell us about your cruiser from from looking back at previous threads I see that you have the second generation (2006) cruiser with the CAN-BUSS electrical system.

It's a very touchy system and don't take well to electrical add-ons (like your fog lights) unless done exactly right. My bet that if you take off the connection made for the fog lights, all your problems will go away.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 10:02 am
Young Cruiser

I forgot to include that I already had disconnected the fog lights. I took them off then reset my pcm with no luck. I really haven't had time to introduce as this happened right after work. Is there a forum for doing so?

Edit: also the cels it threw were
P0499
P0688
P0243

This is all on a 2006 pt cruiser gt 5 speed with no cels or any problems whatsoever until this last night.

Edit2: this morning it died on me and had to pull it
Home, It will crank but no start. Cel is showing another code now,
P0522

Also I removed all the wiring and the relay I added this morning, it started and ran. Gave it gas like two times and it died. It tries to start a couple times like its out of gas again, but then goes to crank and no start.
The codes also keep deleting themselves now like
The pcm is resetting itself. I'm guessing bad pcm from a shorted out wire I installed. I checked all fuses and
They are good.

Last edited by Melition; 22 Nov 2013 at 02:00 pm.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 02:06 pm
Young Cruiser

Well I have the pcm and tpim removed from the car, is there a way to test them
Without having to go to the dealer?
Old 28 Nov 2013, 03:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You never did introduce yourself and tell us about your cruiser from from looking back at previous threads I see that you have the second generation (2006) cruiser with the CAN-BUSS electrical system.

It's a very touchy system and don't take well to electrical add-ons (like your fog lights) unless done exactly right. My bet that if you take off the connection made for the fog lights, all your problems will go away.
+1 good info and much wisdom connected to such a profound statement.... maybe I should hit the intro to I guess...
Old 03 Dec 2013, 06:44 pm
Young Cruiser

welp, I feel really stupid after all this worry. car was parked for two weeks. front lights were totally messed up. replaced tipm, nothing. fuel gauge was tweaking, bad misfire, check engine codes, random bad running. all this was caused and fixed by a loose ground strap on the passenger side. it fixed every single problem except fog lights. even my abs. I just need to reprogram my tipm now and ill have fog lights and ill have my traction control back since my tipm was from a non turbo base model.