ptgt only boosting 4psi

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wwpptc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2013, 04:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default ptgt only boosting 4psi

Hey guys,
Just got an 03 ptgt HO a couple months ago and just got around to putting in a boost guage. The turbo does spool and i can hear the blowoff when i let off the gas, but no matter what gear i am in (manual), the guage only shows a steady 4 psi. i definetly dont feel like i am pushing the 14 psi most people say they get on their gt. i havent yet done a tune up, waiting until next payday, but i dont think that would be the cause. I also live in Utah and so temps are cold and elevation is a bit high. while accelerating, the guage needle climbs very steady, not jumping or anything. no strange sounds or anything. i am also getting trouble codes P0441 and P0522. i have searched and will be replacing the oil sensor tomorrow, but will either of these codes be putting the car into a limp mode or anything?

thanks for all your help.
Old 05 Dec 2013, 05:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: ptgt only boosting 4psi

Have you done a boost leak test yet? May not be the problem but it's a start.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 05 Dec 2013, 05:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

not yet, was also my next step but i dont have the tools or cash right now :/
Old 05 Dec 2013, 11:45 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Have you at least done a visual inspection of the hot and cold turbo tubes? Make sure they are on all the way and clamped tight. No money or tools required
Old 05 Dec 2013, 01:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

so i guess its the wastegate control solenoid. i completely removed it from the car and it took off like a rocket! so thats how these cars should perform! lol. guess im off to find a new one. thanks guys

also dont know if its bad juju to post this link but here is how i came to that conclusion:
http://www.ptcrew.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30345

Last edited by Ravens; 05 Dec 2013 at 01:59 pm.
Old 05 Dec 2013, 08:26 pm
Banned

Yes it is bad juju, don't come back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens View Post
so i guess its the wastegate control solenoid. i completely removed it from the car and it took off like a rocket! so thats how these cars should perform! lol. guess im off to find a new one. thanks guys

also dont know if its bad juju to post this link but here is how i came to that conclusion:
PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.
Old 05 Dec 2013, 10:36 pm
Banned

Quote:
Hey guys,
Just got an 03 ptgt HO a couple months ago and just got around to putting in a boost guage. The turbo does spool and i can hear the blowoff when i let off the gas, but no matter what gear i am in (manual), the guage only shows a steady 4 psi. i definetly dont feel like i am pushing the 14 psi most people say they get on their gt. i havent yet done a tune up, waiting until next payday, but i dont think that would be the cause. I also live in Utah and so temps are cold and elevation is a bit high. while accelerating, the guage needle climbs very steady, not jumping or anything. no strange sounds or anything. i am also getting trouble codes P0441 and P0522. i have searched and will be replacing the oil sensor tomorrow, but will either of these codes be putting the car into a limp mode or anything?

thanks for all your help.
Quote:

PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

The 522 is only one of the codes that could possably trigger the pcm to cut back the boost, fuel and timing to protect the engine. It might be perceiving the 522 as either low, or absence of any, oil pressure. The route the PCM uses to control the boost is by controlling the wastegate solenoid to cut back on the wastegate boost signal, so this is entirely possable. If your PT was mine I would fix the oil sending unit first and see if that in turn, fixes your boost issue.

Of course you could have a faulty solenoid, but I would replace the sensor first since it needs to done anyway. Make sense?

Jerry
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 05 Dec 2013, 11:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yeah, im definetly going to be replacing both after work tomorrow. ill let you know the outcome. thanks guys