PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

WHERE is the Crankshaft Position Sensor for 2004 PT CRUISER TURBO?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By randyincctx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2013, 08:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default WHERE is the Crankshaft Position Sensor for 2004 PT CRUISER TURBO?

Hello folks, I recently had my 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo GT suddenly and completely stall out and die on me while driving. After I coasted the car to a stop I tried to restart the car. The ignition would not engage at at all. No clicking, no scraping, just nothing. A little background, not more than 6 months prior I had the car completely refurbished, to the tune of $6000k at the dealership. New turbo, shocks, struts, wheels, tires, battery, plugs, wires, new pretty much everything. After I got the car back from the dealership the check engine light came on and then I noticed the car was idling rough. The dealership told me it was just a loose electrical wire that must be grounding out somewhere and that it wasn't a real problem, and to IGNORE the engine light as it will eventually go away. The light went away but the car still idled rough. I drove the car 2 miles a day max for 6 months and then this stalling out problem suddenly happened and it died. I've researched the problem and I believed it to be either the Camshaft position Sensor, (which was SUPER easy to find and replace) or the Crankshaft position sensor, which from all my research could be located anywhere from the firewall to somewhere under the engine near the oil filter. Can someone PLEASE point me in the right location? Is it an easy replacement, or will I need to remove half the engine, stand on my head, require triple jointed forearms and need child sized hands to reach it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!!

Last edited by ShockwavePurple; 31 Dec 2013 at 08:14 pm.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 08:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: WHERE is the Crankshaft Position Sensor for 2004 PT CRUISER TURBO?

Will this help:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The Crankshaft Position Sensor was easy to replace on the 01-03 models as it was right above the oil filter. YOURS, I'm sorry to say is different and not easy to get to. In 2004 they moved it to behind/under the starter motor. You need very small hands to get to the small bolt holding it on.

We advise everyone to ONLY buy the sensors at the Chrysler dealer. They are more expensive, but many owners have found that the knock-off sensors they are bought at auto stores, don't last very long. They may look the same as genuine MOPAR parts but they aren't made the same.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 08:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: WHERE is the Crankshaft Position Sensor for 2004 PT CRUISER TURBO?

Just curious....Are you getting a 'check engine light' at all,and if so any codes?
Also,you might want to check out the wiring/harness,sometimes it can get worn,causing a ground fault situation.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 09:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: WHERE is the Crankshaft Position Sensor for 2004 PT CRUISER TURBO?

Hello,

No, the Check Engine light went off about 5 months ago. I don't have a reader, I'm simply troubleshooting the problem and everything I've read points to either one of these two sensors being the problem.

Thanks
Old 31 Dec 2013, 09:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

THANK YOU, RANDY!! I knew it was going to be something like that! Nothing about this engine is ever easily accessible. I don't have small hands, or forearms for that matter. Looks like I'll hand it off to a repairman.
Old 01 Jan 2014, 12:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

You don't always need a "reader" to view any stored trouble codes. Most basic codes can be displayed right in your dash cluster with just your key in the ignition.

How to retrieve fault codes.

Error Codes

A code reader can be more precise and define problems a little clearer but the "key dance" is worth doing in your situation.

I'm not satisfied with your dealer's response to your rough idle issue. Don't be surprised if you still have that after fixing the sensor or starting problem. You paid them a ton of money so you can rightfully expect the car to run right. I had to replace a crank sensor myself years ago. I can't remember if the starter would kick in and turn the engine over or if it was dead. I'm just wondering if you may have a different problem. I wouldn't begin replacing parts unless I knew for sure that they were bad.

Last edited by 2step; 01 Jan 2014 at 12:05 pm.
Old 01 Jan 2014, 01:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the code went away you don't have a problem. Codes can clear themselves if it's just a glitch code. Not sure of how many run cycles but someone will have that answer soon.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com