PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
turbo airbox questions

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2014, 06:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default turbo airbox questions

i have been planning on modding my airbox, but it doesn't look like the ones in the pics of the sticky ( that ones n/a right?) its more of a rectangle with rounded sides.. can i cut 2 elbows and secure them together to use? i've searched for something along these lines or other alternatives but haven't had any luck..

also was wondering the easiest/best way to reduce constriction from the bends in the tube coming out of the airbox or increase the size?

one more thing, i just saw something about moving the temp sensor? would some1 be willing to give me some guidance on this?

thanks for all your help, -Alvin
Old 07 Jan 2014, 02:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: turbo airbox questions

I'm still fairly new as well, but what I learned with the turbo box so far is this:

Remove the white intake sound deadener in the top of the air box and remove or cut out the portion that goes 75% of the way across the bottom of the air box. At that point, it's pretty much as free flow as you can get on the turbo. No need to mod anything else on that. The airbox mods you are seeing is for the N/A PT.

As far as the temp sensor goes, I know nothing about modding that. The only other mods I've seen for air intake are putting a solid pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body, but it's not 100% necessary.

Massive gains can be had from more drastic measures like porting the head and port matching the intake as well as porting the turbo. For more info on that, I have to ask you to search the forums here as well as ptcrew.com, just like I did.

Good luck and enjoy your PT.
BLACKBETTY likes this.

06 PT Cruiser base - Manual 63k miles (sold)

If you're in the Spokane area, shoot me a PM. I love seeing what others have done to their rides.
Old 07 Jan 2014, 11:39 am
Senior Cruiser

I've said this before but I'll say it once again just in case we have some new people on the forum who are capable of thinking.
Removing the white donut is a step backwards and may decrease your airflow!
How can that be, you ask? "Why that thing Looks like a restriction." Look again. See that radius on the white donut opening? That's there to smooth the airflow. See the raggettyass opening when you remove the white donut? That's what a turbulence causing hairball restriction really looks like. Just because someone posted an incorrect How To 10 years ago on the 'net or a forum doesn't make it true. In this case, it's the blind leading the blind.

This is easily tested but not one Cruiser owner has ever done so. You don't need an expensive session on a flow bench to compare results. A cheap, easy to find, $20 magnehelic gauge off eBay and 10 minutes of your time can establish which way flows better right on the car.

The ultimate upgrade would be to replace the white donut with a bellmouth flare. Bellmouth flares have been a staple of the hot rod world for more than a hundred years. If you see a flare and you remove it and replace it with something non-flared..... you lose. Facts is facts. (The same principals apply to the opening elbow into the airbox.)

For your homework:
AutoSpeed - Making your own Bellmouths
AutoSpeed - Heavy Breather
AutoSpeed - Modifying the VL Turbo Intake
Old 07 Jan 2014, 11:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
I've said this before but I'll say it once again just in case we have some new people on the forum who are capable of thinking.
Removing the white donut is a step backwards and may decrease your airflow!
How can that be, you ask? "Why that thing Looks like a restriction." Look again. See that radius on the white donut opening? That's there to smooth the airflow. See the raggettyass opening when you remove the white donut? That's what a turbulence causing hairball restriction really looks like. Just because someone posted an incorrect How To 10 years ago on the 'net or a forum doesn't make it true. In this case, it's the blind leading the blind.

This is easily tested but not one Cruiser owner has ever done so. You don't need an expensive session on a flow bench to compare results. A cheap, easy to find, $20 magnehelic gauge off eBay and 10 minutes of your time can establish which way flows better right on the car.

The ultimate upgrade would be to replace the white donut with a bellmouth flare. Bellmouth flares have been a staple of the hot rod world for more than a hundred years. If you see a flare and you remove it and replace it with something non-flared..... you lose. Facts is facts. (The same principals apply to the opening elbow into the airbox.)

For your homework:
AutoSpeed - Making your own Bellmouths
AutoSpeed - Heavy Breather
AutoSpeed - Modifying the VL Turbo Intake
Don't say that on forums especially the crew!

I have a smog test coming up and I just may run a test?
I think you are correct anyway Brian because of testing I have done with other intake components what you say makes sense.

aside from this ^^^I also have a manometer.....

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 07 Jan 2014 at 11:55 am.
Old 07 Jan 2014, 12:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: turbo airbox questions

But, do open the breathing as much as you can.
The "How To" stickies in the General Forum do have some good ideas, especially for "cold air"...
I know that for my na soonercruiser, opening up the breating and the AirRaid intake system really increased the pedal response.
That was plenty enough (and the good sound it made) to make me happy!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 07 Jan 2014, 01:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

wow.. wish i wouldve seen ANYTHING about not gutting the airbox before i did it.. guess i wasnt looking in the right spots. but that guy on srtforums just looked so convincing, it musta been the glasses lol.

so, having already chunked the white donut and the black trumpet thing, im going to put a flared piece of pcv where the donut was, if i can find one to fit. what can be done for the trumpet?
Old 07 Jan 2014, 01:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;506099
wow.. wish i wouldve seen ANYTHING about not gutting the airbox before i did it.. guess i wasnt looking in the right spots. but that guy on srtforums just looked so convincing, it musta been the glasses lol.

so, having already chunked the white donut and the black trumpet thing, im going to put a flared piece of pcv where the donut was, if i can find one to fit. what can be done for the trumpet?
I wear glasses!?

BLACKBETTY I would not worry about it. Although I am sure it does lessen the OEM air-box design for flow there are other issues in the intake system that would be far more performance hindering stock then what you did.

I did numerous hours of IAT (intake air temperature) MPG,timing,coolant temperature noting last year with a couple of different simple intake arrangements. Nothing WOW'd me to the point of a bringing attention to the forum about. The exception was the independent flow test of the 2 intake manifolds plastic and aluminum.

The stock air box for Turbo's is as good as it can get, with maybe an installation of a better quality air filter? But for looks and sound, it is all personal choice.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Jan 2014, 01:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBETTY View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I wear glasses!?

BLACKBETTY I would not worry about it. Although I am sure it does lessen the OEM air-box design for flow there are other issues in the intake system that would be far more performance hindering stock then what you did.

I did numerous hours of IAT (intake air temperature) MPG,timing,coolant temperature noting last year with a couple of different simple intake arrangements. Nothing WOW'd me to the point of a bringing attention to the forum about. The exception was the independent flow test of the 2 intake manifolds plastic and aluminum.

The stock air box for Turbo's is as good as it can get, with maybe an installation of a better quality air filter? But for looks and sound, it is all personal choice.
I posted this very thing on you other thread soon after you posted it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Jan 2014, 02:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks nitro, your a freakin super genius. i already have a k&n drop in, probably should've said that earlier. busted, i had already gutted the darn thing (did it when i put in the k&n) i can hear the air being sucked in more now, idk if its the k&n or the lack of the "silencers" or both, so if it wont hurt anything, id like to leave it like that. +3-5 hp on the butt dyno.

and it wasnt srtforums, it was this guy.. http://www.srtconnection.com/forums/...rbox-mod-9004/
Old 07 Jan 2014, 02:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBETTY View Post
thanks nitro, your a freakin super genius. i already have a k&n drop in, probably should've said that earlier. busted, i had already gutted the darn thing (did it when i put in the k&n) i can hear the air being sucked in more now, idk if its the k&n or the lack of the "silencers" or both, so if it wont hurt anything, id like to leave it like that. +3-5 hp on the butt dyno.

and it wasnt srtforums, it was this guy.. PT airbox mod - Dodge SRT Forum - SRTConnection
Noise from the silencer but as my buddy said. Not that big a deal. It was believed that the plastic intake was a hp increase till recently. Now we have real research on that, to show that was a misconception. Just check and see on these things. So you can speed your money and time on things that actually do something for you. New info can come anytime and change old thinking on any part of the cruiser. Just don't expect everyone to be willing to believe it. Especially if they're already using it.
BLACKBETTY likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
turbo airbox mod