PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Smoking bad on start up only.White smoke.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2014, 03:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Smoking bad on start up only.White smoke.

Hi, in have an '05 2.4l turbo, 103,000 miles. Its been smoking (sometimes bad) on start up, but then goes away.White smoke. Sometimes it doesn't smoke at all. Any ideas?
Old 01 Feb 2014, 08:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Smoking bad on start up only.White smoke.

This might help Causes of White Exhaust Smoke - CarsDirect .
Old 01 Feb 2014, 09:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold2006 View Post
Well that is more like steam not smoke. But I think your burning some oil on start up. First disconnect the PCV hose and plug the intake so you don't have a vac leak And see If the problem goes away. If it does, replace the PCV valve. Could also be valve seal or turbo. But Valve seal are rare on these.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Feb 2014, 10:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi All,

I just want to say thanks to the community. I've been reading over a ton of threads ever since I inherited/bought my PT Cruiser from my brother.

I don't want to completely hijack giovanna's thread but I figured I shouldn't make a new one. I have the same problem with the same car (2005 PT Cruiser GT w/ 146,000 km) and maybe some of the things I have tried will help with their smoke problems.

When I bought the car it had just had the timing belt changed (twice, once to fix it) and was smoking white/light grayish smoke at cold start; we're talking a huge plume of thick white smoke. Kinda smelled a little like oil and a little bit of gasoline. I wouldn't say sweet smelling. A little would come in through the air vents inside too. I took it in to have it inspected for insurance and asked the mechanic to let me know what the smoke was. He said it's likely valve stem seals and to use Lucas Oil Additive whenever I get an oil change to relax the valve seals and live with it; it's not that critical of a problem. He also changed the spark plugs.

I also discovered that the oil light was coming on whenever you break. I quickly figured out, thanks to the forum, that I should try changing the Oil Sending Unit to see if it would fix my problem with the oil light AND the smoke plume. I managed to do it myself, thanks to all of the helpful posts on the site, and it fixed the oil light coming on but did not fix the smoke.

Next I tried changing the PCV valve and discovered that the guts of it were gone! I have to assume they are down inside the valve cover. I replaced the PCV valve and hope to get into the valve cover when I get a chance to pull those parts out. Unfortunately this did not fix my smoke problem.

Next I tried changing the oil but instead of using the Lucas Oil Additive I opted to use MaxLife High Mileage Oil instead because it appeared to come highly recommended. The smoke continued.... for about a week. Then one day it stopped.

Now let's stop there for a moment to fill in some other information I had found out...
  1. I accidentally put about 200ml too much oil in when I changed the oil. I checked the oil and there are no bubbles or discoloration. But this is when it was still smoking for a week.
  2. I discovered that if you have a Turbo you should use gasoline with an octane reading of 91 or higher. My brother used the cheap gas.
  3. I learned that you should punch your turbo every once in a while to blow out some of the buildup in it which is what I attempted to do just prior to it stopping smoking.
  4. Turbos are supposed to idle a for a minute or 2 after "spirited" driving to let oil lubricate the turbo. My brother never did that.

So, for whatever reason, the smoke has subsided for over a week now and now when I start up cold (-20 degrees Celsius even) it doesn't really smoke. It starts and idles fine for about 10 seconds or more and then gets really weak about 3 times over, right at the time where it used to smoke. Any idea what would cause all of this?

The smoke really wasn't dark so I don't think it was oil and I haven't had any problems as far as coolant leaks or levels. My next step is to try some fuel injector cleaner, try changing the spark plug wires, check the plugs, try a compression test, get the PCV parts out and possibly rebuild the turbo. I was all gung-ho to change the valve stem seals until I realized I had to take the timing belt off... I'm a little new to this. I think I'll start my DIY career with changing my watts link and rebuilding the turbo before taking on something of that magnitude.

Last edited by Galactus; 10 Feb 2014 at 01:03 am.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 07:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I think I'll start my DIY career with changing my watts link and rebuilding the turbo before taking on something of that magnitude.
REBUILDING THE TURBO!!!!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 10 Feb 2014 at 02:29 pm. Reason: To repair link!
Old 10 Feb 2014, 01:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yep, seen it

I'll likely be following it step by step. Might even get the same package off eBay to use. Thanks!

(Your emoticon broke the link btw)
Old 10 Feb 2014, 02:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Yep, seen it

I'll likely be following it step by step. Might even get the same package off eBay to use. Thanks!

(Your emoticon broke the link btw)
Fixed the link!

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Feb 2014, 03:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ugh... smoke is back with a vengeance...

It hadn't been smoking for about a week or so. I decided to open it up on the highway a bit doing about 170 kph and I saw a flashing engine light that went out as soon as I got back down to around 100 kph. The next day it started smoking again... this also coincided with the really cold weather finally warming up. One other tidbit is that the coolant was a little low but there was no warning lights or anything and I topped it up. There is also a constant ticking sound at idle. I'm just throwing it all out there. =P

My latest theory, based on my limited knowledge and everything I can pick up while driving it is that it was the freezing low temperature, possibly along with the new hm oil, that may have sealed something that is cracked or had a weak seal that had allowed oil into the engine. I dunno.. I had the block heater plugged in the whole time so I'm not sure if that negates that theory.

I noticed that during a cold start that the 6-10 second wait before the smoke comes is at a high idle, maybe 1500-2000 rpm and then it settles into 1000 rpm and the big cloud comes. Thick and starting to look more gray to me. I'm pretty sure it's oil now; it doesn't dissipate at all so it's not steam. Maybe I'll take a video of it at some point just to show it.

I cleaned the throttle body, checked my spark plug wires and they looked and tested ok and I also topped up my coolant. While in there I noticed old gunked up oil and dirt on the valve cover where the short hose from the valve cover to the air filter housing is; the hose is a little loose on the valve cover connection but I'm guessing that's not critical because it's an output hose? There is also oil gunked up in the air filter housing which I have read is somewhat normal. I haven't seen the engine light blink again.

I'm going to order new wires and a valve cover gasket and pop that off so I can remove the gutted pcv valve parts from the old one. Does any of this give you guys an idea of what may be happening?

Thanks
Old 17 Feb 2014, 09:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Ugh... smoke is back with a vengeance...

It hadn't been smoking for about a week or so. I decided to open it up on the highway a bit doing about 170 kph and I saw a flashing engine light that went out as soon as I got back down to around 100 kph. The next day it started smoking again... this also coincided with the really cold weather finally warming up. One other tidbit is that the coolant was a little low but there was no warning lights or anything and I topped it up. There is also a constant ticking sound at idle. I'm just throwing it all out there. =P

My latest theory, based on my limited knowledge and everything I can pick up while driving it is that it was the freezing low temperature, possibly along with the new hm oil, that may have sealed something that is cracked or had a weak seal that had allowed oil into the engine. I dunno.. I had the block heater plugged in the whole time so I'm not sure if that negates that theory.

I noticed that during a cold start that the 6-10 second wait before the smoke comes is at a high idle, maybe 1500-2000 rpm and then it settles into 1000 rpm and the big cloud comes. Thick and starting to look more gray to me. I'm pretty sure it's oil now; it doesn't dissipate at all so it's not steam. Maybe I'll take a video of it at some point just to show it.

I cleaned the throttle body, checked my spark plug wires and they looked and tested ok and I also topped up my coolant. While in there I noticed old gunked up oil and dirt on the valve cover where the short hose from the valve cover to the air filter housing is; the hose is a little loose on the valve cover connection but I'm guessing that's not critical because it's an output hose? There is also oil gunked up in the air filter housing which I have read is somewhat normal. I haven't seen the engine light blink again.

I'm going to order new wires and a valve cover gasket and pop that off so I can remove the gutted pcv valve parts from the old one. Does any of this give you guys an idea of what may be happening?

Thanks
Not valve seals. It would smoke from the first start. Anything been done to it other wise. Sounding more like a turbo to me. Try disconnect the pcv hose and plug of the intake. And see if that dose anything.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Feb 2014, 12:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I pulled the hose off the PCV valve and then plug the hose with a rag and a zip tie and left the PCV valve nipple open.

We'll see what happens in the morning.

I'm curious, is there any sensor that may have automatically calibrated itself on the old empty PCV valve that needed to be reset once I replaced the PCV valve?

Last edited by Galactus; 17 Feb 2014 at 05:02 pm. Reason: Just went ahead and did it.