PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
must be the first or someone just left this tad bit out.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Mar 2014, 03:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default must be the first or someone just left this tad bit out.

After looking around and researching the mopar blow off valve I decided to get it. Whats the point in a turbo if you cant even get the sound of it lol. It came in the mail yesterday and was super excited because it wasn't supposed to be here till today. Went over to my buddys house in his garage to install it. What I thought would be a couple hour job turned into a nightmare! didn't leave till after 9. I knew I was going to encounter trouble with the lower bolt by the oil line. no one and I mean no one from the threads iv read and the many installation guides and reviews iv read had said that the bolt will f-n snap right off. sob! so now had to take the plenum off, wastegate, heat shield, we'll just say had to take off everything that was in the way to remove the turbo from the car to drill the broken bolt out. The hardest parts id say was the 2 lines underneath the car. what is it the hot side pipe the turbo slides into? that was a pain to get off. then the I think 2" hose coming from the block going to the turbo, had to cut that off. there was absolutely no way it was going to be pulled off. it was sealed on there pretty good. so we got the turbo out. tapped it, started drilling and working at it for about half hour getting it out. halfway through snap goes the corner off that side bolt and all. me about broken hearted about to cry thinking shiz now I gotta order a new turbo (wish I would've taken pics of it to show) we ended up getting a longer bolt and nut and used permatix? to seal it up and tightened all 3 bolts back up, went to the store got a new hose for the one I cut. installed everything back together. started right up, revved the engine and pssht! so it works and I still have all my power I had before so im guessing/hoping itll hold. if not ill be getting a block off plate and just sealing the whole thing and ordering a aftermarket bov and some hard pipes and see if thatll work? but I don't think ill have a problem. Just mainly wanted to post this for the future people to know that the bolt can and will snap off it not careful. Its not like I was going at it all crazy, you could only turn the wrench a qtr inch at a time if that with what little room was in there.
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 03:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: must be the first or someone just left this tad bit out.

I feel your pain bro Fortunately mine wasn't as bad as yours. One of my bolts took out the threads in the aluminum. So, unable to get a tap in there, I used a smaller diameter bolt and nut with washers. It has held great ever since (5 or 7 months?). If I ever have to take the turbo off, I will drill and tap it right.

Old 06 Mar 2014, 04:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'd say yours wouldn't have a problem holding. You still have the whole corner there lol. I'll get under the car tomorrow and try to get a pic of it if my camera can catch the angle. The whole corner of mine is snapped off. Half the threaded hole is still there and you can put the stock bolt in there and tighten it up(not what we did, not enough pressure to hold). But there is still thread there just nothing to grip. I have a ultra gauge in the way to keep track of everything or at least try to if i can understand it lol. But id reckon it'd hold. The sealent and still the 3 bolts holding it on. I'd hope so
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 06:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Why waste money on another turbo. Find a welder. They will fabricate a new corner or weld yours back on. If you can't find one stop by a transmission shop. They will know a good welder. Good luck.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 06 Mar 2014, 08:24 pm
Young Cruiser

You can pick up a used compressor cover from the junk yard, srtfourms or maybe even on ebay. Or you could get a ported one from here without a core, or maybe they could use your core.

SDK Motorsports :: Mopar :: SRT-4 :: Port & Polish :: Ported Turbo Housing
Auto | S1 | 1025cc injectors | AFE Stage 2 Pro 5r | Hexalogger | S2 wastegate controlled by PCM | 3"o2 | 3"cat | 3"DP | 2 1/4"catback | plastic intake | W/I | DSP Duster360 E85 & gas tunes | Black ES MM Inserts | big 16G stocker | Boomba BOV

13.49@104.38(1/4 tank E85 fuel, w/i, 1025 injectors, back seats and spare out, 17" street tires, BWS turbo, DSP controlling S2 wastegate)

Old 06 Mar 2014, 08:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT8corn View Post
You can pick up a used compressor cover from the junk yard, srtfourms or maybe even on ebay. Or you could get a ported one from here without a core, or maybe they could use your core.

SDK Motorsports :: Mopar :: SRT-4 :: Port & Polish :: Ported Turbo Housing
and all I do with that is take it somewhere to have them switch out the turbo internals into that one? or could I send them my whole turbo and they assemble it for me? just asking since I figured you might know since you gave me the link lol. it also says that they are recommended to be used with there rs exhaust manifold? iv had my eyes on junkyards, craigslist, forums for gt parts since I first bought my original cruiser 4 years ago, was gonna do the intake manifold swap and such maybe even a full complete swap if I had ever been able to find one but they are rare to be found for parts in my area. so getting a new one from that link sounds like the best bet, plus I like the black lol and its only 80$ but id need to know if id need to get a new exhaust manifold also?

Old 06 Mar 2014, 08:54 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbsr05pt View Post
and all I do with that is take it somewhere to have them switch out the turbo internals into that one? or could I send them my whole turbo and they assemble it for me? just asking since I figured you might know since you gave me the link lol. it also says that they are recommended to be used with there rs exhaust manifold? iv had my eyes on junkyards, craigslist, forums for gt parts since I first bought my original cruiser 4 years ago, was gonna do the intake manifold swap and such maybe even a full complete swap if I had ever been able to find one but they are rare to be found for parts in my area. so getting a new one from that link sounds like the best bet, plus I like the black lol and its only 80$ but id need to know if id need to get a new exhaust manifold also?
The compressor cover is held on by a large c clamp.
Removing the stock turbo compressor housing? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

This guy just listed a cover by itself on the PTCrew for $50, you will have to join to see if you are not already a member.

PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.
Auto | S1 | 1025cc injectors | AFE Stage 2 Pro 5r | Hexalogger | S2 wastegate controlled by PCM | 3"o2 | 3"cat | 3"DP | 2 1/4"catback | plastic intake | W/I | DSP Duster360 E85 & gas tunes | Black ES MM Inserts | big 16G stocker | Boomba BOV

13.49@104.38(1/4 tank E85 fuel, w/i, 1025 injectors, back seats and spare out, 17" street tires, BWS turbo, DSP controlling S2 wastegate)

Old 06 Mar 2014, 09:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yes I'm a member there. Cool. I'll have to send him a pm. I know its held on by that large c clamp. Had to take it off last night, wasn't necessarily fun. Lol. As to my question though, I didn't know you could buy just the housings and swap the internals? Because mine functions properly, its just I'm nervous about that broken corner where the surge valve mounts onto. So id rather be safe then sorry and if I can save a ton of money by just buying the housing and swapping the internals that'd make me a super happy person.

Old 06 Mar 2014, 10:23 pm
Young Cruiser

yea, you can just replace the housing.

Old 06 Mar 2014, 10:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT8corn View Post
yea, you can just replace the housing.
sweet!!! thanks bud. saves me some money