Advertisements
K&N cai, good or not?

Like Tree80Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2014, 02:57 am
Young Cruiser

Default K&N cai, good or not?

Any thoughts about the K&N air intakes? Planning to order at 4WO since the offer is good (Click Here for 4 Wheel Online). Does anyone here have real experience with K&N and did you notice any improvement? I'm planning to upgrade my exhaust also so I'm looking for the best CAI for my '03 PT Cruiser. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 05:31 am
Banned

Default Re: K&N cai, good or not?

CREWZIN, you might as well shut this thread down now, because I have a feeling it will end up like the other two regarding Drop In Air Filters.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 05:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyle View Post
Any thoughts about the K&N air intakes? Planning to order at 4WO since the offer is good (Click Here for 4 Wheel Online). Does anyone here have real experience with K&N and did you notice any improvement? I'm planning to upgrade my exhaust also so I'm looking for the best CAI for my '03 PT Cruiser. Any help is much appreciated.
It depends on your goals.

If you want the cleanest air possible going into your engine for the least engine wear and longest oil life, avoid wet gauze or foam filters. These allow 10 times more fine particles than cellulose paper filters and 50 times more than dry synthetic nanofiber filters to enter your engine. There were 4 independent studies provided previously in recent locked demonstrating this. Here is another independent one ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report .

A teaspoon of dirt is detrimental to an engine. A handful is fatal.

When narrowing down your choices, be sure to ask the filter manufacturer what micron size is their absolute efficiency. The smaller the number the better. You want 20 micron or smaller. Some filter manufacturers will not hesitate to tell you. Others will not. Avoid those.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Gold2006; 12 Mar 2014 at 06:15 am.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 08:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyle View Post
I've been using K&N on all my cars for hundreds of thousands of miles without a problem along with a million others that use them.

The K&N kit your looking at will certainly give a loud sound from air rushing down the intake tube so be prepared for that but the best thing it will do is take away the hesitation from start that you have from a stand still. The engine boggs down about 1-2 seconds after you stomp on the gas pedal, an after market filter will take that away. The filter pack that your looking at also has a "guard" that will help keep the warm air from the engine being sucked in.

You'll have to buy a cleaning kit but it won't be needed for quite awhile because the K&N systems come from the factory pre-oiled. When you do clean and re-oil the filter, follow the directions. Not good to over oil it. One strip of oil on each pleat is fine.

I went from a system like that to an open filter which supposedly hurts performance but you'd have to see that loss on a dyno or track because I certainly don't notice any difference.

This thread, as previously said, might turn into something of a war on words which like the other thread will be closed when it does.

Opinions are welcomed anywhere. Personal vendettas against what someone posted won't be tolerated.
wwpptc, mityqwik and rckstein like this.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 09:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I got my K&N FIPK used - that's one of it's advantages.
I does have some shielding to block some hot air, but there is debate as to how effective that is.
It sounds awesome, and while I have absolutely no comment on horsepower I CAN say it cannot hurt, and probably helps, gas mileage, because I have gotten a hair over 25 MPG OVERALL over 115,000 miles with my K&N FIPK and I have an AUTOMATIC.
I write down fillups in a small book and I divide total miles by total gas used -the only accurate mileage measure.
One more comment - I didn't know it was there until it was gone, but the K&N eliminated a "throttle lag" - after the K&N, pushing on the gas was more immediate.
wwpptc likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Mar 2014, 10:15 am
Senior Cruiser

I run the Airaid setup. It also seals out the heat from the engine compartment but how well it does that I have no idea. It looks cool and makes a lot of noise lol. I love mine and think it was a well worth investment. Here is the thread with pics of my setup.

A little under hood dressing
wwpptc likes this.

Last edited by Ray_Dockrey; 12 Mar 2014 at 10:19 am.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 12:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Accurate and factual information takes some time to gather together. Apparently longer then the life of some threads about filters. Be patient information referenced on these threads are being reviewed.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Mar 2014, 12:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
...the best thing it will do is take away the hesitation from start that you have from a stand still. The engine boggs down about 1-2 seconds after you stomp on the gas pedal, an after market filter will take that away. The filter pack that your looking at also has a "guard" that will help keep the warm air from the engine being sucked in. ...
The following mod to my Cruiser also took "away the hesitation from start that you have from a stand still", that "about 1-2 seconds after you stomp on the gas pedal". My 2004 NA has a drop-in K&N filter, a 3" intake sealed to the fender hole, with all other holes sealed to insulate against under-hood hot air.
The extra available air (through fender-liner) made the throttle considerably more responsive. There have been no problems; the air-box remains clean and dry (rains a lot here).

Click to enlarge
Old 12 Mar 2014, 12:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: K&N cai, good or not?

I've had 4 PTs now; two of each engine.
And, I think that the air box mod, aftermarket filter, and sealed air to the wheel well was only a noticeable improvement for the na Cruiser.
My turbos have never stumbled!

But with the na soonercruiser, I really loved the quick pedal response, and the "growl" of the AirRaid system!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 12 Mar 2014 at 12:55 pm.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

With the turbo, the intake air is routed around the engine before entering the intake. So no cold air to be had. N/A flows directly into the intake. So air temperature does and can matter. less restrictions mean more gas mileage and better throttle response.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Closed Thread