Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Remove turbo silencers = more power???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2004, 12:54 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Remove turbo silencers = more power???

Does removing ALL the silences in the GT Turbo make any real difference in horspower [:I] Other than people saying "my seat of the pants impression is that my car goes faster" I have not read of seen any facts to support the claims by some of gaining "MORE POWER" with the silencers removed. It seems a though nobody has yet to "dyno" the car to see if it makes much difference other than noise. Am I correct [:I] Thanks.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 02:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Gary, with the silences in and the factory down pipe, ,at the drag strip I ran stock a 15.193 at 89.94 mph, removed the white silences and ran a 15.085 at91.02 mph. then I installed the amx intake down pipe, and ran 14.85 at 93.31 then added boost set at 18, with amx's tip mod and ran a 14.65 at 94.48 the first run was around 6:30 pm temp 78 the last run was around 9;00 pm temp was around 65, went back to the track the next week and ran 14.719 at 93.45 mph temp was 80*
so to answer your question, yes it helps to remove what ever you can.
Old 12 Apr 2004, 10:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

I read quite some posts in regards of removing silencers. It seems to me that if you remove the silencers w/o disconnecting the battery, you should get a slight increase in times. If you remove the silencers and disconnet the battery, you won't get an increase in times as the PCM will adjust to modification. 3BarBoost has stated quite a few times that the PCM will adjust to the silencers being removed.

To really get the benefits of removing the silencers or new intake, you will need a manual boost controller.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion on the info flowing through this site. I have not modified my intake or removed the silencers nor have a manual boost controller.
Old 12 Apr 2004, 11:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTGT_Boy
Disclaimer: This is just my opinion on the info flowing through this site. I have not modified my intake or removed the silencers nor have a manual boost controller.
Don't worry, Your waranty will not be voided...

Nobody here mods theyr cars...