PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
BBBBOV [BLACKBETTYS BOOMBA BOV]

 
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Busa_Powered
  • 1 Post By 4drturbo
  • 1 Post By BLACKBETTY

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17 Mar 2014, 07:27 pm
BLACKBETTY's Avatar
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: kaufman, tx
Posts: 43
Default BBBBOV [BLACKBETTYS BOOMBA BOV]

so i threw the boomba blow off valve on today.. idk if i like it.. it sounds pretty much like the mopar blow off valve IMO.. fluttery and not too loud. and the mopar was $100 cheaper.

now i do still have to check for boost leaks, but i dont think its gonna get very much louder

UNLESS..

i installed it with the 13lb spring. it also has a 16lb and a 19lb.
but if you go over 15lbs of boost on a stock pcm, you'll get a CEL, right?

can i get away with the 16lb spring? the rating is what it takes to open it all the way, right?(spring fully compressed) so, the 16lb spring should start opening, therefore venting, before the CEL code is thrown.

Am I right, or horribly, painfully, expensively wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17 Mar 2014, 08:30 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 3,722
Default Re: BBBBOV [BLACKBETTYS BOOMBA BOV]

I have the hotchkis bov along with the stock bov

It is louder at only higher rpms, I didn't want it doing it all the time

My 2 cents
BLACKBETTY likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18 Mar 2014, 12:01 am
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 264
Default Re: BBBBOV [BLACKBETTYS BOOMBA BOV]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBETTY View Post
so i threw the boomba blow off valve on today.. idk if i like it.. it sounds pretty much like the mopar blow off valve IMO.. fluttery and not too loud. and the mopar was $100 cheaper.

now i do still have to check for boost leaks, but i dont think its gonna get very much louder

UNLESS..

i installed it with the 13lb spring. it also has a 16lb and a 19lb.
but if you go over 15lbs of boost on a stock pcm, you'll get a CEL, right?

can i get away with the 16lb spring? the rating is what it takes to open it all the way, right?(spring fully compressed) so, the 16lb spring should start opening, therefore venting, before the CEL code is thrown.

Am I right, or horribly, painfully, expensively wrong?
You hook your Boomba up like stock? Attach the factory vacuum line to it? I ask this because I did the Boomba BOV on my SRT-4 back in like 2007 and I got quite a bit of flutter, when I let off the gas. Had an intake mind you. Re-routed my vacuum lines and did a direct source to the throttle body, no more flutter.
It fluttered because the stock solenoid which is setup for a 4lb spring which is in the stock surge valve. Good luck with the boost leak test with that BOV. Mine leaked, honestly never heard of one that held boost during a boost leak test. :/

The MAP sensor is still going to see 16 psi. Regardless what spring you have in your BOV. It is held shut during WOT. It releases pressure when you let off the gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
I have the hotchkis bov along with the stock bov

It is louder at only higher rpms, I didn't want it doing it all the time

My 2 cents
Hotchkis makes suspension components LOL. Never heard of a Hotchkis BOV for our stock turbos. Sure its not called something else? The only other factory replacement BOV other then the Boomba is the Forge BOV. I think Samco made one too....
BLACKBETTY likes this.
__________________
1999 Dodge Neon Coupe. DOHC 5 speed
2005 Crossfire SRT-6
2005 PT Cruiser GT 5 speed. 1 of 21 (SOLD)

Last edited by 4drturbo; 18 Mar 2014 at 12:05 am.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18 Mar 2014, 01:42 am
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 3,722
Default Re: BBBBOV [BLACKBETTYS BOOMBA BOV]

Lol I meant hks




Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drturbo View Post
You hook your Boomba up like stock? Attach the factory vacuum line to it? I ask this because I did the Boomba BOV on my SRT-4 back in like 2007 and I got quite a bit of flutter, when I let off the gas. Had an intake mind you. Re-routed my vacuum lines and did a direct source to the throttle body, no more flutter.
It fluttered because the stock solenoid which is setup for a 4lb spring which is in the stock surge valve. Good luck with the boost leak test with that BOV. Mine leaked, honestly never heard of one that held boost during a boost leak test. :/

The MAP sensor is still going to see 16 psi. Regardless what spring you have in your BOV. It is held shut during WOT. It releases pressure when you let off the gas.



Hotchkis makes suspension components LOL. Never heard of a Hotchkis BOV for our stock turbos. Sure its not called something else? The only other factory replacement BOV other then the Boomba is the Forge BOV. I think Samco made one too....
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18 Mar 2014, 09:27 am
BLACKBETTY's Avatar
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: kaufman, tx
Posts: 43
Default Re: BBBBOV [BLACKBETTYS BOOMBA BOV]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drturbo View Post
You hook your Boomba up like stock? Attach the factory vacuum line to it? I ask this because I did the Boomba BOV on my SRT-4 back in like 2007 and I got quite a bit of flutter, when I let off the gas. Had an intake mind you. Re-routed my vacuum lines and did a direct source to the throttle body, no more flutter.
It fluttered because the stock solenoid which is setup for a 4lb spring which is in the stock surge valve. Good luck with the boost leak test with that BOV. Mine leaked, honestly never heard of one that held boost during a boost leak test. :/

The MAP sensor is still going to see 16 psi. Regardless what spring you have in your BOV. It is held shut during WOT. It releases pressure when you let off the gas.

Well i guess today's mission is to run a line from the TB to the BOV.. wish me luck!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Lol I meant hks
If you say HKS with a thick enough texas accent it ALMOST sounds like Hotchkis LOL
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19 Mar 2014, 07:48 pm
BLACKBETTY's Avatar
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: kaufman, tx
Posts: 43
Default Re: BBBBOV [BLACKBETTYS BOOMBA BOV]

Ran a vac line from the TB to the BOV today.. WOW. Now thats what I thought it would sound like. Now I can scare all the neighborhood dogs out of my way when I'm going to town.
4drturbo likes this.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors