Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Busa_Powered
  • 1 Post By 4drturbo
  • 1 Post By BLACKBETTY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2014, 07:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default BBBBOV [BLACKBETTYS BOOMBA BOV]

so i threw the boomba blow off valve on today.. idk if i like it.. it sounds pretty much like the mopar blow off valve IMO.. fluttery and not too loud. and the mopar was $100 cheaper.

now i do still have to check for boost leaks, but i dont think its gonna get very much louder

UNLESS..

i installed it with the 13lb spring. it also has a 16lb and a 19lb.
but if you go over 15lbs of boost on a stock pcm, you'll get a CEL, right?

can i get away with the 16lb spring? the rating is what it takes to open it all the way, right?(spring fully compressed) so, the 16lb spring should start opening, therefore venting, before the CEL code is thrown.

Am I right, or horribly, painfully, expensively wrong?
Old 17 Mar 2014, 08:30 pm
Banned

Default Re: BBBBOV [BLACKBETTYS BOOMBA BOV]

I have the hotchkis bov along with the stock bov

It is louder at only higher rpms, I didn't want it doing it all the time

My 2 cents
BLACKBETTY likes this.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 12:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBETTY View Post
so i threw the boomba blow off valve on today.. idk if i like it.. it sounds pretty much like the mopar blow off valve IMO.. fluttery and not too loud. and the mopar was $100 cheaper.

now i do still have to check for boost leaks, but i dont think its gonna get very much louder

UNLESS..

i installed it with the 13lb spring. it also has a 16lb and a 19lb.
but if you go over 15lbs of boost on a stock pcm, you'll get a CEL, right?

can i get away with the 16lb spring? the rating is what it takes to open it all the way, right?(spring fully compressed) so, the 16lb spring should start opening, therefore venting, before the CEL code is thrown.

Am I right, or horribly, painfully, expensively wrong?
You hook your Boomba up like stock? Attach the factory vacuum line to it? I ask this because I did the Boomba BOV on my SRT-4 back in like 2007 and I got quite a bit of flutter, when I let off the gas. Had an intake mind you. Re-routed my vacuum lines and did a direct source to the throttle body, no more flutter.
It fluttered because the stock solenoid which is setup for a 4lb spring which is in the stock surge valve. Good luck with the boost leak test with that BOV. Mine leaked, honestly never heard of one that held boost during a boost leak test. :/

The MAP sensor is still going to see 16 psi. Regardless what spring you have in your BOV. It is held shut during WOT. It releases pressure when you let off the gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
I have the hotchkis bov along with the stock bov

It is louder at only higher rpms, I didn't want it doing it all the time

My 2 cents
Hotchkis makes suspension components LOL. Never heard of a Hotchkis BOV for our stock turbos. Sure its not called something else? The only other factory replacement BOV other then the Boomba is the Forge BOV. I think Samco made one too....
BLACKBETTY likes this.

Last edited by 4drturbo; 18 Mar 2014 at 12:05 am.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 01:42 am
Banned

Lol I meant hks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drturbo View Post
You hook your Boomba up like stock? Attach the factory vacuum line to it? I ask this because I did the Boomba BOV on my SRT-4 back in like 2007 and I got quite a bit of flutter, when I let off the gas. Had an intake mind you. Re-routed my vacuum lines and did a direct source to the throttle body, no more flutter.
It fluttered because the stock solenoid which is setup for a 4lb spring which is in the stock surge valve. Good luck with the boost leak test with that BOV. Mine leaked, honestly never heard of one that held boost during a boost leak test. :/

The MAP sensor is still going to see 16 psi. Regardless what spring you have in your BOV. It is held shut during WOT. It releases pressure when you let off the gas.

Hotchkis makes suspension components LOL. Never heard of a Hotchkis BOV for our stock turbos. Sure its not called something else? The only other factory replacement BOV other then the Boomba is the Forge BOV. I think Samco made one too....
Old 18 Mar 2014, 09:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drturbo View Post

Well i guess today's mission is to run a line from the TB to the BOV.. wish me luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Lol I meant hks
If you say HKS with a thick enough texas accent it ALMOST sounds like Hotchkis LOL
Old 19 Mar 2014, 07:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ran a vac line from the TB to the BOV today.. WOW. Now thats what I thought it would sound like. Now I can scare all the neighborhood dogs out of my way when I'm going to town.
4drturbo likes this.